Titans Bum Phillips Video

BudsOilers

16 hours ago, BaddKarma said:

The Love Ya Blue Oilers were a completely lovable group of dudes.

If Renfro wasn't ruled out I still maintain to this day the Oilers win that game and the Super Bowl.

There is a special place in my football heart for Bum, Earl, Pastorini, Bathea, Whiteshoes, Mauck, Renfro, Culp, Bingham, and Brazil...

spacer.png

Nah they still would have probably lost that game. We held onto that Renfro TD as if it was the winning touchdown...they were more talented than the Oilers. just saying...

For the record, I was at that pep rally in the dome.

Yep, I looked it up.  

Midway through the 1980 season Casper was traded to the Houston Oilers for their first and second-round draft picks. He was reunited with his former Raider quarterback, Ken Stabler, when he was traded to the Oilers. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Casper

Note:  before ~1990 or so, there was not much free agency in the NFL - good players rarely, if ever, left a team.  So draft picks were worth much more then than they are now as it was the only way to improve your team.  So a 1st and 2nd second pick in 1980 would be like three 1st round picks now.  

Edited by 9 Nines

1 hour ago, earlers said:

Nah they still would have probably lost that game. We held onto that Renfro TD as if it was the winning touchdown...they were more talented than the Oilers. just saying...

For the record, I was at that pep rally in the dome.

Ol' Mo was on their side. They were going to win.

spacer.png

Basically, Bum was fixated on beating the Steelers so he decided to go with over the hill Raiders, who had been relatively successful when playing them.  He traded Pastorini for Stabler, who was awful for the Oilers (Dante did nothing for Oakland either), traded for Casper, and for Jack Tatum.  Between those trades and the one for Leon Gray (who was really good in fairness), they had minimal draft picks and got old. 

The irony is that the Raiders won the SB that year - beating the Oilers in the Wild Card game.  The Steelers were done - missed the playoffs as they were old too.  Bum got fired and honestly the team was a dumpster fire for the next 5 or 6 years.  They had Earl but he was on the downside and they signed Moon in 84, who was pretty bad for the first 3 seasons.

On 9/22/2021 at 1:05 PM, BudsOilers said:

For the old timers and maybe the newbies.  I had just started following the Oilers as a little kid during the Luv Ya Blue era.

I was about the same age then, but I didn't start following the team until shortly after Glanville took over and they started winning again (then losing when it really counted).

21 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

They had Earl but he was on the downside and they signed Moon in 84, who was pretty bad for the first 3 seasons.

It sounds so weird now that they signed Moon's coach in CFL a year before so Moon would sign with them. 

No it was the same year and a fairly obvious ploy to sign Moon.  They had fired Biles mid-year in 1983 and Chuck Studley was the interim coach until the end of the season.

Reportedly the only other candidate they interviewed was Gene Stallings.

Edited by BudsOilers

Have you guys been following the Titans official media this week?  I'm loving all of the tribute videos on all the 70s guys.  I hope they do it again every year.  Beyond the big names of Childress and Givens, they could do some fan favorites like Gary Brown that one year. 

One week a year isn't too bad and probably goes a long way with old fans and former players.