Sticking with the run

Jamalisms

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Run the ball, keep it close, have a chance to win at the end. Fisherball, baby!!!   The fact that in 2021, so many seem to be thrilled with this strategy is just baffling to me.   

Jamal, Jamal, Jamal.  Listen.  If you're gonna make it here at TR, you're gonna have to learn these simple rules. #1 - no one is ever wrong. #2 - We only agree with the people who agree with

This rambling counterpoint is going to sound antagonistic but it's not intended as such. It's more call to action and a desire for different level of discourse:   Unfortunately, none of this

Posted Images

Sticking with the run in this game was the right approach. I thought they got away from it too much on the stalled drive in OT. 

They knew Seattle's front was soft and would crack. 

I wish they would be more balanced on first downs for sure though, but this team is built around Derrick Henry and the run game. I thought there were some well timed passing and screen counters to the running and that the play calling was good except for being overly run heavy on first down. 

Another factor is being in the most hostile/loudest stadium in the NFL, sticking with the run in that environment was important. 

Edited by tgo

They were running in more predictable situations early on, which is also what got them into trouble last week and last year. Defenses are looking to stack the line on early downs to stuff Henry at the line before he can pick up a head of steam. And it usually works.

In the 2nd half, the Titans were throwing more on 1st downs. Tannehill was picking up lots of yards in the air and the D wasn’t stacking the line so much. They were also wearing down the defense, which isn’t because of constantly running the ball but by keeping their D on the field (33 first downs will do that). So Henry was going to be more successful running vs a winded defense.

Edited by Starkiller

I'd like to see Tannehill check out of those plays when 8-9 are in the box. Running into that is dumb. As the game went on, we saw the box loosen up, and the gassed Seahawks couldn't keep up. They were emotionally drained after giving us everything they had in the first half. We didn't go away because the first half is a warmup for Henry. 

Henry also had 6 receptions yesterday. Those short to intermediate passes over the middle slaughtered the Seahawks. Big Ben did that to us last year, and it was good to see it from the team. I hope we continue to do that, especially against stacked boxes. If AJB doesn't drop so many, Tannehill is steamrolling that Seahawks secondary. 

Just now, socaltitan said:

Henry's the best player on the team. He's always going to be fed.

Which is fine so long as they aren’t trying to run him into defenses clearly designed to stop him.

They have a good passing game now. They need to use it to punish defenses when they line up to load the box.

Sticking with the run definitely wore the defense down big time. I re-watched the game last night. Seattle kept 8 guys in the box most of the game and we got positive yards nearly every run. In the second half Henry punished them and we kept their offense off the field. It also opened up the middle of the field for AJ and Julio and the tight ends. AJ and Julio ad at least 4 drops or the game may have never gone to overtime. I do think throwing on first down is necessary to keep the defense off the LOS.

Edited by freakingeek

11 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Anybody got thoughts on all the running from yesterday? The Titans were getting nothing early on but stuck with it. Did anyone go through the first down data to make whatever point it is they want to make? We skipping that this week? Does having stuck with the run throughout the entirety of the game, even in the first half when they ran a bunch despite being down, annoy anyone today? Did sticking with the run in the first half play into any of the success they had running in the second half? Did sticking with the run open up some of the things they did in the pass game?

Just wondering where we're all at emotionally, after this became one of the main talking points last week. I'd hate for it to be something we only care about when we lose, so I thought I'd start the conversation.

Bad decisions can work out sometimes. Are we going to call this a bad decision that worked out or are we going to acknowledge something positive about the approach? What's the angle on this after week 2?

Yeah, but...

1 minute ago, Jonboy said:

Run the ball, keep it close, have a chance to win at the end. Fisherball, baby!!!

The fact that in 2021, so many seem to be thrilled with this strategy is just baffling to me. 

I know it's an insane thought, but passing more early in the game could - *gasp* - actually get the Titans ahead and allow them to play from the lead?! Then we can have Henry dropping the 60 yard runs when we're ahead rather than hoping and praying he pops one when we're down 2 scores.

If defenses want to crowd the line, throw it. If they back off, run it more. Keep defenses honest at least. We don’t need them to become a run and shoot offense, just make defenses pick their poison.

Hell, we have AJ and Julio at WR now. Act like it.

Just now, Starkiller said:

If defenses want to crowd the line, throw it. If they back off, run it more. Keep defenses honest at least. We don’t need them to become a run and shoot offense, just make defenses pick their poison.

Hell, we have AJ and Julio at WR now. Act like it.

Well they did try a little, but AJB dropped 3 passes and Julio dropped a dollar and quarter yesterday (with a TD)