Upon Further Review: Julio Jones’ Reversed Touchdown

TitansGuru

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

This is wher I am. But in fairness on the replays in live action it looked like he was ever so slightly out

That’s the thing. The overhead view clearly looked like his heel was just out. That’s what the refs had to go on, not this zoomed in image after the fact. 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where was the “clear and convincing evidence” to overturn that initial TD call?   Spoiler: The refs were wrong

I'll be honest...I may have to reverse my opinion on this one.    Initially I thought his heel clearly hit out of bounds and said as much in the game thread. I don't trust any of the photos

On the 50 yard bomb to Julio, he didn’t turn his head to look back for the ball until his last few strides and it was right there over his shoulder for the snag between 2 defenders. Great route and a

Posted Images

This seems to be the same thing as the A.J. Brown TD that they didn’t overturn against Houston last year.  IMO both should have stood.  There’s absolutely no evidence that he was out.  Unless the league saw something that no one else did.

And don’t get me wrong, the call to overturn wasn’t all that out of the realm of course. 

I thought we weren’t in the worst place down 9-24 at the half. That is always manageable Titans rope-a-dope distance.

The big thing was not getting hooked and buried too deep like against Pittsburgh and Cleveland last year, making adjustments and not being as predictable on offense. 

Plus Brown and Jones were not their best versions by a lot, and Julio still had 1 monster half with room to spare for more.

That’s crazy.

1 hour ago, Supdawg said:

I don't understand the rule. Obviously they should not have overturned that play. 

You're telling me if his heel did not come down (meaning only his tip toes touches the ground) and his body landed out of bounds he is in? That is fucking stupid as hell. 

How can your tip toes be in if you fall out of bounds, but not be in if your heel lands out of bounds? WTF

It’s an incredibly stupid rule.

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I'll be honest...I may have to reverse my opinion on this one. 

Initially I thought his heel clearly hit out of bounds and said as much in the game thread. I don't trust any of the photos because it's so easy for photos to be distorted with the right timing/lighting/angles. 

Watching it multiple times again on video though, I don't see "inconclusive evidence" that his heel hit out of bounds. Therefore, I think they should've went with the call on the field, which was a TD. 

Watch the replay and pay attention to the heel in question: it kicks up black turf in bounds. Here’s a shot.

/thread

5E37C4BB-8090-44E5-85DD-B0CE539D9E3E.jpeg

3 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I'll be honest...I may have to reverse my opinion on this one. 

Initially I thought his heel clearly hit out of bounds and said as much in the game thread. I don't trust any of the photos because it's so easy for photos to be distorted with the right timing/lighting/angles. 

Watching it multiple times again on video though, I don't see "inconclusive evidence" that his heel hit out of bounds. Therefore, I think they should've went with the call on the field, which was a TD. 

There's no question his toes and most of the heel hit in bounds (which is what kicked up the dirt).  It's the back end of the heel that looks every so slightly in the white. 

I get why they ruled what they did given the existing rule but I would not have an issue if the original call stood either.

Heck of a catch/effort regardless.

On 9/20/2021 at 8:38 AM, scine09 said:

This seems to be the same thing as the A.J. Brown TD that they didn’t overturn against Houston last year.  IMO both should have stood.  There’s absolutely no evidence that he was out.  Unless the league saw something that no one else did.

That’s the rub. Nothing conclusive in the replay so if they were being consistent then you go with the call on the field. 

3 minutes ago, japan said:

That’s the rub. Nothing conclusive in the replay so if they were being consistent then you go with the call on the field. 

I wonder how much the flashy shoes impacted the review look.  Made it seem fairly obvious to me the edge part of the heel was out.  On a white shoe, I don't know if you get that clarity.

On 9/20/2021 at 7:47 AM, Supdawg said:

I don't understand the rule. Obviously they should not have overturned that play. 

You're telling me if his heel did not come down (meaning only his tip toes touches the ground) and his body landed out of bounds he is in? That is fucking stupid as hell. 

How can your tip toes be in if you fall out of bounds, but not be in if your heel lands out of bounds? WTF

It's seems so similar toe a toe drag, I don't see how that's even close to indisputable evidence enough to overturn the call of a touchdown. I still think we got screwed on this call

4 minutes ago, ChesterCopperpot1 said:

Whatever the call was on the field should have stood. There’s nothing there that could have overturned it. 

His heel clearly touched the line so doesn't that make it conclusive? Ask yourself how you would view that play if it were Hopkins who made it in week one?