Upon Further Review: Julio Jones’ Reversed Touchdown

TitansGuru

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Where was the “clear and convincing evidence” to overturn that initial TD call?   Spoiler: The refs were wrong

I'll be honest...I may have to reverse my opinion on this one.    Initially I thought his heel clearly hit out of bounds and said as much in the game thread. I don't trust any of the photos

On the 50 yard bomb to Julio, he didn’t turn his head to look back for the ball until his last few strides and it was right there over his shoulder for the snag between 2 defenders. Great route and a

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

It was at the very least too close to overturn. The angle from above looks out because the heel of the shoe is longer than the base

This is the valid argument on that play in my opinion. I think he's out but the fact the call on the field was a TD means it should have been very hard to overturn. The flip side of that is that his foot is touching the line so does that make it incontrovertible? 

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is the valid argument on that play in my opinion. I think he's out but the fact the call on the field was a TD means it should have been very hard to overturn. The flip side of that is that his foot is touching the line so does that make it incontrovertible? 

I thought he may have been out too but I think if the Ref saw the angle above it would’ve stood. It is what it is, these things balance out

1 minute ago, OzTitan said:

Why is the pic's lighting/colors so movie like? I haven't seen it like that before. I'm guessing it's a high speed camera?

Yeah, looks like it’s a still from a video. Surely the people on the sidelines have better equipment for photography. 

I don't understand the rule. Obviously they should not have overturned that play. 

You're telling me if his heel did not come down (meaning only his tip toes touches the ground) and his body landed out of bounds he is in? That is fucking stupid as hell. 

How can your tip toes be in if you fall out of bounds, but not be in if your heel lands out of bounds? WTF

I thought it was a call they wanted to make so they could use it in a training library to make more horrible calls. It felt like a very league involved…order, to overturn it. I hope I’m wrong and transparent dialogue comes of it. 

It feels like you should be able to slide out forward or backward once you have the ball and two body parts down and have maintained possession throughout and demonstrated a football move or effort to show complete ownership of the football.  

It comes off as purposeful bullshit given the call on the field.

38 minutes ago, Supdawg said:

I don't understand the rule. Obviously they should not have overturned that play. 

You're telling me if his heel did not come down (meaning only his tip toes touches the ground) and his body landed out of bounds he is in? That is fucking stupid as hell. 

How can your tip toes be in if you fall out of bounds, but not be in if your heel lands out of bounds? WTF

Yes that the rule. If Jones had tip toed out of bounds its a TD. by falling backwards out of bounds the heel comes into play as its part of the process for the foot coming down.