Titans PA Usage in Week 1

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I mean. All you have to do is watch the game. AZ’s game plan was to stop PA. They were sending someone at Tannehill and not respecting the run action every play from what I saw (through my tears). 

Pittsburgh ran the exact same gameplan in the preseason in either 2018 or 2019 where they just ignored play action and assumed it would happen and Mariota was getting killed basically the second the b

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, scine09 said:

That obviously needs to improve.  At the same time, when you're down by multiple scores most of the game it's tough to run play action.

Hopefully they do it plenty this Sunday.

yes. its lazy analysis to claim the Titans should have run more playaction. they were down big for most of the game and even when they tried it earlier in the game, Arizona overwhelmed the Titans OL and sacked Tannehill. Of course the mouth breathers will point to the lack of rushing success as the reason but thats pure nonsense.

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

yes. its lazy analysis to claim the Titans should have run more playaction. they were down big for most of the game and even when they tried it earlier in the game, Arizona overwhelmed the Titans OL and sacked Tannehill. Of course the mouth breathers will point to the lack of rushing success as the reason but thats pure nonsense.

Running play action is suicide when your oline is getting blown up like that. The defense was in the backfield every time. 

Just now, TeamRamrod said:

I mean. All you have to do is watch the game. AZ’s game plan was to stop PA. They were sending someone at Tannehill and not respecting the run action every play from what I saw (through my tears). 

This is a great point and its one the board discussed a few years back. Teams are starting to take chances in certain situations by either A. ignoring the run fake and going after the QB or B. having the LBs bail out and get into the passing lanes. Thats why its critically important to be able to run/pass out of the same personnel and formation groups like the current Rams offense under McVay and old Denver offenses under Shanny. 

I pointed it out in another thread, but the Cardinals were all over the Titans PA and had an extra defender rushing Tannehill to prevent it. I think this is why Downing went away from PA. 

If it becomes a trend over the first few games, then it's time to worry - but I'm not expecting that. 

As some pointed out, AZ was prepared for that part of our game plan. The argument about not using PA on 1st down is a big point of emphasis. For instance on the first FF/sack by Jones, we lost 2 yards on first down. No one is expecting that 2nd down play to be an actual run play. It was easy pickings for Jones.

I think running PA is fine, but at least do it front shotgun and allow Tannehill to at least see who’s coming at him. They didn’t pull a TE backside to protect him. They didn’t really prepare for anything in the case that the run game faltered. 

Let’s hope Sunday was a aberration and they get back on track this week. I’ll get really worried if they end up 0-3, but at this point we need to see more.

3 hours ago, tgo said:

I pointed it out in another thread, but the Cardinals were all over the Titans PA and had an extra defender rushing Tannehill to prevent it. I think this is why Downing went away from PA. 

If it becomes a trend over the first few games, then it's time to worry - but I'm not expecting that. 

It will absolutely become a trend to defend us that way.

We have to see how RT / Downing /Vrabel respond.

FWIW you can do a playfake to hold the LB/Ends without completely turning your back. We dont do enough of that.

20 minutes ago, titanskick8851 said:

As some pointed out, AZ was prepared for that part of our game plan. The argument about not using PA on 1st down is a big point of emphasis. For instance on the first FF/sack by Jones, we lost 2 yards on first down. No one is expecting that 2nd down play to be an actual run play. It was easy pickings for Jones.

I think running PA is fine, but at least do it front shotgun and allow Tannehill to at least see who’s coming at him. They didn’t pull a TE backside to protect him. They didn’t really prepare for anything in the case that the run game faltered. 

Let’s hope Sunday was a aberration and they get back on track this week. I’ll get really worried if they end up 0-3, but at this point we need to see more.

Interesting data. For a long time its been a common held belief teams run on 2nd and 10 a lot to make 3rd down more manageable. The data shows 2nd and long has been a passing down 63% of the time as recently as 2016 and the league average up to 69% as of the 2020 season. I wonder how these numbers are altered when taking game situation into account i.e running out the clock in the 4th or having to pass down multiple scores in the 2nd half. 

2016: Run on 2nd and 10 or longer league average was 37%, Titans did so at a 43% clip

2020:  Run on 2nd and 10 or longer league average was 31% The Titans did so at a 37% clip

2021 (through week one): League average is 37%, Titans were at 25% which can be attributed to being down multiple scores most of the game

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

Edited by oldschool
11 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Interesting data. For a long time its been a common held belief teams run on 2nd and 10 a lot to make 3rd down more manageable. The data shows 2nd and long has been a passing down 63% of the time as recently as 2016 and the league average up to 69% as of the 2020 season. I wonder how these numbers are altered when taking game situation into account i.e running out the clock in the 4th or having to pass down multiple scores in the 2nd half. 

2016: Run on 2nd and 10 or longer league average was 37%, Titans did so at a 43% clip

2020:  Run on 2nd and 10 or longer league average was 31% The Titans did so at a 37% clip

2021 (through week one): League average is 37%, Titans were at 25% which can be attributed to being down multiple scores most of the game

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

I wish they would cross reference this with the top 33% winningest teams each year.

Because I couldnt give a shit about the league trend as a whole... just the winners.