Giving Vrabel a break for a sec, has a GM ever had a worse Opening Day then JRob?

Face

12 hours ago, Face said:

1-Bud Dupree, our huge FA get, exploded for a half a tackle. Check my history, I knew this was a terrible signing

2-Denico Autry-also a half a tackle. 

3-Jack Rabbit-destroyed

4-Caleb Farley-3rd string behind Chris Jackson, whose the worst corner I’ve ever seen

5-Radunz-inactive. After our 1st rd RT was active for 1 game last year our 2nd rounder is already inactive this year. And he’s listed as backup RG. We also paid Kendall Lamm a decent contract & Quessenberry is the starting RT. Jesus Christ the resources spent at RT the last 2 years just to start Ques.

6-Julio-what else can I say? Worst game of his career.

Holy. Shit. Some of these guys better get better   cause teams cannot survive multiple catastrophic offseasons. This is a real concern.

So, first off, I felt like the last two offseasons were trash for the Titans.  I don't know that I have been in favor of any of their moves the last two years.  I feel that they all reeked of desperation and risk.

That said, it is game one of a 17 game season.  And, it is most often that the newest members of any team do not fully understand the schemes, concepts and their teammates until well into the season.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea Dupree would be fine after tearing his ACL in December always made zero sense to me.

1-Bud Dupree, our huge FA get, exploded for a half a tackle. Check my history, I knew this was a terrible signing   2-Denico Autry-also a half a tackle.    3-Jack Rabbit-destroyed

Is this a Rasskass thread?

12 hours ago, BTiger3733 said:

1) Dupree and Farley starting slow were to be expected

2) Lewan starting slow is to be expected (not that slow but still)

3) Tannehill and Nate Davis were clearly rusty coming off of Covid

All of those should be fixed quickly. The bigger issue is that our OC and DC are trash.

It’s always so easy to blame everything on scheme.

17 hours ago, oldschool said:

@Face This thread is premature but I'll play since I didn't like the offseason that much either.

Dupree - I hated this signing and think his ceiling might be Orakpo which is not okay considering the money he got. At first glance he didn't transform the pass rush or dictate the run game which is where he will most likely impact the Titans D. That being said he did get some pressure later in the game and played with a ton of energy which has been sorely lacking on the defense of late. Its too early to tell whether you and I are right about Dupree but Sunday was not a good start for him.

Autry - I liked this signing but found it hysterical so many thought he would have a massive impact. Guys like Autry contribute to the whole so its hard to know if he did that against the cards but considering the Front 7 had another lackluster performance, its hard to claim he made an impact. Autry will be judged by how the stars around him play this year.

Jenkins - I hated this signing and have no idea why anyone thinks he's an improvement over Butler. Jenkins is a battler but he also has been burned his whole career. I'm not going to ding him for not being able to cover Hopkins as no one can but I fully expect him to get targeted all year and give up plays especially with the Titans piss poor pass rush.

Farley - Come on. This was a ballsy pick that could be a home run like Simmons. I loved this pick and have no expectations he will contribute this year; neither should you.

Radunz - I didn't like the pick at first but some think he may be able to play LT in the future so I softened my stance. Its not good that he couldn't beat out the likes of Lamm and Dingleberry though. Sometimes it takes OL a few years to reach their potential so we may not know what Radunz is for awhile and thats okay. RT is a pain point so fans naturally want to bitch about the pick since he didn't start day one.

Julio - Guy should be fine. It was a great move to trade for him. Unless he falls off a cliff or gets bit by the injury bug, he'll be an asset. That being said, he was terrible against the Cards and needs to be much better moving forward.

I'll throw in one more...

Molden- This guy looked every bit the late round draft pick and his athleticism could be an issue moving forward. I know many assumed he would be the answer at NB but I was more hesitant to crown him so early in the process. Hopefully it was just first game jitters but it wasn't good. I don't want to overreact here but he looked overmatched athletically. Hopefully thats not a sign of whats to come.

I didn’t like the Bud signing at all. It wasn’t as much that I didn’t like the player, he’s a big, strong, fast guy who provides energy. He is very good at closing on sacks when he beats the OT, he has a high % of conversions of pressure. The problem is he doesn’t get many pressures. He’s good for the needed sack & FF at times but he’s far from a consistent rusher. In other words,  not a guy you give a huge contract to. I personally felt, and others did as well,  that we panicked & overpaid a mid level talent just because he happened to be the top 1 or 2 rusher available. I personally wanted to resign Corey Davis but of course getting Julio mitigated that. But for a team that didn’t have much cap money signing a guy like Dupree, coming off an ACL no less, to that contract was desperation.

I loved the Farley pick as well & know he needs time. But my overall point is we’ve added zero help the last 2 years or so 

And with Radunz my overall point was the resources spent at RT the last 2 years. A 1st, and 2nd, a mid level FA just to have Quessenberry start. One active game out of 17 for the draft picks with Radunz currently backing up at guard no less.

30 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

@TaylorLewan77

said he’s feeling good. Can’t wait to return to full go in practices. Said Week 1 isn’t going to be a problem.

@Titans

Tanne looked fine. Hit all his passes, even though many couldn't catch them. Accuracy was great. He was just overwhelmed. 

I’m glad Taylor feels good. Hopefully he’s back on the gas…..

2 hours ago, tgo said:

They need David Long back for third down in a bad way. 

Honestly Evans needs to just be benched if he doesn't improve in short order. 

Id be curious how often they blitzed him, pro football reference should have those stats by today or tomorrow. In a way that’s almost been my biggest problem with him besides, you know, looking like an actual LBer. There were games last year he was sent after the QB 8-10 times, albeit not many. And he did NOTHING. He was such a good blitzer in college that I figured at minimum that would translate. 

It seems like young LBers are having a lot of trouble around the league lately though. It used to be a position where the good ones stood out from Day 1 but not anymore. Then again it feels like far less rookies are real impact players in general. I don’t know if this is the college schemes or the greatly reduced pro workload in the off-season or what.