Xbox X or PS5, which should I get?

9 Nines

Now that restocks look likely, I wonder which I should get.  I probably will not use it a lot, but would like to play games on it occasionally.   Play station seems to have better exclusive games, but I like audio aspect of games, and Xbox is only one with Atmos audio and I hav a system to take advantage of it.

Which should I get, if I only get one? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Aren't those like the NES where you gotta blow on them before plugging it in?

Have you considered getting a girlfriend instead of either?

Xbox with Gamepass is the best product in gaming, imo. And it's not close.

Depends on how much is "play games on it occasionally"... For $10 a month there is Games Pass on Xbox which is basically just Netflix for video games and includes every Microsoft produced game too. If you will play enough to want to dabble in whatever and just browse to see what piques your interest it's a great way to go. If you are planning on just getting a game or two and playing that specifically then it is obviously a waste of money.

If you are just going the specific couple games route then PS5 is probably the way to go and just load up on their first party titles.

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Depends on how much is "play games on it occasionally"... For $10 a month there is Games Pass on Xbox which is basically just Netflix for video games and includes every Microsoft produced game too. If you will play enough to want to dabble in whatever and just browse to see what piques your interest it's a great way to go. If you are planning on just getting a game or two and playing that specifically then it is obviously a waste of money.

If you are just going the specific couple games route then PS5 is probably the way to go and just load up on their first party titles.

I usually play roleplaying, or 1st per shooters that center around stories or are very large open worlds, games for several weeks, possibly months, an hour or two a day a few days a week.  So the pass probably would not make sense. 

Edited by 9 Nines

50 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

I usually play roleplaying, or 1st per shooters that center around stories or are very large open worlds, games for several weeks, possibly months, an hour or two a day a few days a week.  So the pass probably would not make sense. 

Yeah, it has killer RPGs and Shooters but you have to consider the value of the monthly subscription compared to just buying those 2 or 3 games up front (for the price of 6-12 months of games pass).

PS - I think the RPGs and Shooters are better on Xbox anyway. Most of Playstation's top exclusives are action adventure games 

Edited by wiscotitansfan

About a year ago, Xbox still had the thing where you can convert Xbox live into Xbox game pass ultimate for $1. I used a code to buy 3 years worth of Xbox live for $90 total. Then I converted it over to Xbox game pass ultimate. $91 for 3 years and if you do those dumb Bing searches every day and Chase just a couple of achievements from time to time, you can get enough rewards points to almost keep your game pass subscription up to date month to month for free.

3 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Xbox with Gamepass is the best product in gaming, imo. And it's not close.

Is it month to month or do you have to buy a whole year?  I am type who would play a lot in month then maybe not play for a month, so month to month would actually be cheaper since I would only buy it a few times a year.  

Edited by 9 Nines

Just now, 9 Nines said:

Is it month to month or do you have to buy a whole year?  I am type who would play a lot in month then maybe not play for a month, so month to month would actually be cheaper. 

Month to month but I think discounts if you buy a longer period.

PS5 prob has the better titles (outside of Halo) but the XBox game pass is certainly a plus.

I just use my PlayStation to play GTA5 and FIFA/NHL these days though. However, you can’t go wrong with either console really. The bigger thing is just getting your hands on one. 

Game Pass is at its best when you cycle through games IMO as compared to just having it for the AAA titles. Those are great and clearly usually higher caliber games but I find much more use out of the indie games I can put a night or two in or binge some weekend and then move on. 

Id much rather cruise through a couple games and not feel any guilt about it not being worth the $20 or so it would cost otherwise compared to the games like Forza, Halo and Gears that I’d put much more effort into playing

it’s obviously opinion but there are so many good games that don’t have all the bells and whistles that I would never look into if it weren’t for game pass that I am glad I checked out for a few hours

Edited by wiscotitansfan

For me it all comes down to exclusives. Sony has an incredible stable of 1st party studios and it's the only place I can play God of War, Naughty Dog games, Sucker Punch, etc. 

Game pass is also on PC so if I didn't care about Sony exclusives, I'd much rather put that $500 of a Series X toward a PC instead. 

The landscape is certainly changing though as even Sony is dipping their toe into putting games on PC (Days Gone and Horizon come to mind). 

After having a PC for the past several years, I'd love to see Sony eventually go all in and bring all their stuff to PC like Microsoft is doing. They could still sell plenty of systems to gamers who prefer the simplicity of a console setup. 

If you took away all my systems though (PC included) and said I could only buy one, I'd still lean PS5 because of how much I care about the Sony 1st party stuff. Nintendo and the Switch would be a very close 2nd.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Jamalisms said:

Just sent a forum member a PS5. Cost them $52 over retail, just for shipping.

Why doesn't anyone like me? I need validation! Look at all I do!!!

Will you sell me an Xbox X?