Jump to content

Is Ryan Tannehill an elite passer?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 474
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Who cares what he did with the Dolphins?  It's irrelevant.  He's been putting up elite level performances for two seasons now.

Any list that has Kyler Murray as a better pure passer than Tannehill is a joke and shouldn't be even debated.  It tells me that this person either has no idea what they are watching  or just doesn't

Back to the original question, because it was a good one. Here is an article from 2019 that examined QB efficiency in different situations:   https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/05/14/th

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

These are guys I consider better pure passers in the NFL. In no particular order…

 

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray

Justin Herbert

Deshaun Watson

Matthew Stafford

Joe Burrow

 

And yes he’s a rookie but I believe Trevor Lawrence is a better pure passer as well. 
 

All of these QBs I would take over Tannehill if they had to out dual one another in a shootout. 

I  would put Tannehill ahead of Murray, Stafford, Burrow, Herbert, and tied with Watson, and Wilson. I’d put him in the 5 - 7 range.

 

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, (Tannehill, Wilson, and Watson). Also the gap between all of these guys other than Mahomes and Rodgers is not that big. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, XAEA12 said:

 

Tannehill is often put a notch below quarterbacks like Brady, Brees, Watson, Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, Allen, and some would argue Roethlesberger, because these QBs are actually tasked with throwing the ball 3, 4, or heaven forbid 5 times in a row! And they do often deliver.

Call it whatever you want, until Tannehill puts the team on his back like the guys on that list, sans Allen. It's just going to be that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, FinFaninNOVA said:

 

Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Allen, (Tannehill, Wilson, and Watson). Also the gap between all of these guys other than Mahomes and Rodgers is not that big. 

It actually is. Watson played with a horrible roster and still was better than Tannehill when they played..... 

 

Tannehill falls in the same catg as Cousins 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I find the most annoying is how little anyone outside Tennessee acknowledges how the offense was one of the worst in the NFL and then flipped to being one of the best in the NFL simply by substituting Tannehill for Mariota.

 

Then there are those who say it's all about Henry. In 2019 Henry was averaging 3.7 ypc with Mariota and then 5.9 with Tannehill. I know we all know this but it's still annoying when you listen to podcasts etc.

 

I think if Tannehill and the offense are good again this year people are going to have to be forced to reckon with it.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tannehill has produced at an elite level and that's really all that matters.  Add in that the same offense/play caller/personnel SUCKED with Mariota.  They went from at the bottom offensively to one of the best.   

 

We can debate each of these guys in terms of pure ability but I'd say he's right there after Rodgers, Mahomes, and Wilson.  I hesitate to put Watson in that group yet - same for Josh Allen albeit he is a physical freak - as it's a smaller sample size.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Titans279 said:

The thing I find the most annoying is how little anyone outside Tennessee acknowledges how the offense was one of the worst in the NFL and then flipped to being one of the best in the NFL simply by substituting Tannehill for Mariota.

 

Then there are those who say it's all about Henry. In 2019 Henry was averaging 3.7 ypc with Mariota and then 5.9 with Tannehill. I know we all know this but it's still annoying when you listen to podcasts etc.

 

I think if Tannehill and the offense are good again this year people are going to have to be forced to reckon with it.

 

 

 

It's a ridiculous and lazy narrative.  I will say that how the Titans played in national playoff games and the GB game didn't help change that narrative.

 

IF RT balls out again in 2021, he deserves to be up their with the top group.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tannehill is an unusual top Quarterback.  He had a team for six years in Miami.  He came in as a future star and that didn't happen.  

 

Now, a few things hurt his need to produce like those marque guys.  Henry is a generational RB.  He has even been briefly in the MVP conversation.  Can't have two MVP's same team.  Tannehill reads the field quicker than most any QB and the ball is coming out.  He kinda makes it look easier than it is.  Lastly, his receivers have dropped some really great throws in tight situations.  So, a lot of his specialness is missed.  

 

Take the pass that Jonnu caught is Baltimore.  That was a perfectly thrown ball, but Jonnu got all the credit.  When Wilson throws a ball like that he gets a lot of praise.  As Henry slows down in the 2030's, people will notice Tannehill more.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

These are guys I consider better pure passers in the NFL. In no particular order…

 

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

Tom Brady

Aaron Rodgers

Russell Wilson

Kyler Murray

Justin Herbert

Deshaun Watson

Matthew Stafford

Joe Burrow

 

And yes he’s a rookie but I believe Trevor Lawrence is a better pure passer as well. 
 

All of these QBs I would take over Tannehill if they had to out dual one another in a shootout. 

We're talking passer.  Allen is extremely erratic.  Excellent QB but can throw the ball into the stands sometimes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, japan said:

We're talking passer.  Allen is extremely erratic.  Excellent QB but can throw the ball into the stands sometimes.

He looked a lot better as pure passer last season but yes, I'll take Tannehill's consistency over Allen's raw talent any day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Tannehill is elite? Do we just use that word so slightly nowadays... smh

 

Tannehill is a game managing QB, a great one in a good system to show his skillset. He has a total of 104 yards in 4 of his games in the playoffs. Thats such an elite company to be in...

They didn't gameplan around him and played very conservatively. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bongo59 said:

Henry wasn't awful.  He just did not have many touches because TN was down big.

I meant Tannehill and the team as a whole.  Individually Henry had a good game.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Allen was better than Tannehill with less talent on the roster.

 

Allen is easily better than Tannehill.. lol

 

The Bills play 3 WRs and Allen was in the shotgun most of the time, they threw the ball all over the place. 

 

Allen is vastly improved but he's still erratic and not nearly as accurate as Tannehill. 

 

Allen is on a much more pass friendly offense but he's not nearly as talented a passer. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...