Is Ryan Tannehill an elite passer?

XAEA12

• Replies 606
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any list that has Kyler Murray as a better pure passer than Tannehill is a joke and shouldn't be even debated.  It tells me that this person either has no idea what they are watching  or just doesn't

Who cares what he did with the Dolphins?  It's irrelevant.  He's been putting up elite level performances for two seasons now.

Back to the original question, because it was a good one. Here is an article from 2019 that examined QB efficiency in different situations:   https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2020/05/14/th

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, scine09 said:

Irrelevant.

Yeah, dude. It is irrelevant. As long as he can play mistake free football we should be good with this roster we have. He has done an excellent job at that.

10 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Yeah, dude. It is irrelevant. As long as he can play mistake free football we should be good with this roster we have. He has done an excellent job at that.

Which is the ultimate job of a quarterback.

He's done his job better than almost any QB in football.  And the numbers bear that out.

On 7/2/2021 at 9:00 AM, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Being ranked at bottom of the league per YPG, dunno how much of an "elite passer" a QB is.... 

Thing is no coach that has ever coached Tannehill has made a game plan for him to be the vocal point on offense, like Rodgers and Mahomes are.

Tannshill is good enough to take whatever the defense gives him and gets it nearly every time. If the defense allows him to hit a 30 yard crosser he nails it. If they fall for a play action and it’s man to man on a fade he hits it. If everyone is covered and they forget about his legs he gets 15 yards. His job is to take what the defense gives him and not turn the ball over and he nails it. 

He isn’t like Mahomes or Allen where the coach puts the entire game plan on their shoulders and expects them to make throws that only they can make 2 or 3 times a game. Or like Rodgers changing the plays whenever he wants or like Watson and Wilson making 3 ppl miss sacks then getting a 15 yard completion

I see what you're saying completely, he isn't asked to carry the offense. And that is a legitimate question mark to wonder if he'd perform as well if asked. But all he can do is what is asked of him in the offense he's in.

Also you are comparing him to Rodgers and Mahomes who are all time greats. He may not be on that level, but there's a big gap between them and a game manager, right?

The only options aren't top 3 QB and game manager.

Edited by XAEA12

5 minutes ago, XAEA12 said:

I see what you're saying completely, he isn't asked to carry the offense. And that is a legitimate question mark to wonder if he's perform as well if asked. But all he can do is what is asked of him in the offense he's in.

Also you are comparing him to Rodgers and Mahomes who are all time greats. He may not be on that level, but there's a big gap between them and a game manager, right?

The only options aren't top 3 QB and game manager.

YPG is his new attempt at discrediting Tannehill. As usual for him, he doesn't research a damn thing. 

Tannehill career YPG - 232.7

Wilson career YPG - 235.5

7 minutes ago, FinFaninNOVA said:

YPG is his new attempt at discrediting Tannehill. As usual for him, he doesn't research a damn thing. 

I'm not sure I agree with you. Your basic premise is that of he "knew" more he would change his mind. He's been given a lot of information and he hasn't even changed his position a little, much less his mind.

He is either impossible to persuade or more likely just wanting attention. In either case I would say you are wasting your time unless your intent is to practice hitting a tennis ball against the wall.

1 minute ago, JT2000 said:

I'm not sure I agree with you. Your basic premise is that of he "knew" more he would change his mind. He's been given a lot of information and he hasn't even changed his position a little, much less his mind.

He is either impossible to persuade or more likely just wanting attention. In either case I would say you are wasting your time unless your intent is to practice hitting a tennis ball against the wall.

LOL. Again, well played. 

1 hour ago, FinFaninNOVA said:

Ok? Wilson was a game manager early on in his career. You seem quite salty to me as well bringing Wilson into this conversation again for no reason.I'm not attempting to discredit him. I'm simply saying he is a game manager. There's nothing wrong with being a game manager but it's just who he is.  Also, you have no idea what a game manager is. Which seems to be part of the problem here. Game manager =/= bad QB. 

Edited by unauthorizedcinnamon

1 minute ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Ok? Wilson was a game manager early on in his career. You seem quite salty to me as well bringing Wilson into this conversation again for no reason.I'm not attempting to discredit him. I'm simply saying he is a game manager. There's nothing wrong with being a game manager but it's just who he is.  Also, you have no idea what a game manager is. Which seems to be part of the problem here. Game manager =/= bad QB. 

You brought Wilson into it again a few posts ago........ I've already shown with actual facts that his success as a passer has been dependent on the running game for his entire career. 

Since we cannot even agree on definitions, this is pointless. 

I think Tannehill is a top 10 QB, you don't. End of discussion. 

39 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Wilson’s the same QB he always has been.

4 hours ago, scine09 said:

Wilson’s the same QB he always has been.

Nah it took Wilson 5 years to break the 500 passing attempts in a Season. Early on in his career they were definitely a run the ball and play defense kind of team several years they had more rushing attempt that’s passing attempts for the team. While they still don’t want Wilson to Throw 50 times a game it’s clear they’ll let him open it up more than prior years. 

4 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

Nah it took Wilson 5 years to break the 500 passing attempts in a Season. Early on in his career they were definitely a run the ball and play defense kind of team several years they had more rushing attempt that’s passing attempts for the team. While they still don’t want Wilson to Throw 50 times a game it’s clear they’ll let him open it up more than prior years. 

Passing attempts means nothing.