Interesting Ringer podcast about Titans by Arthur Smith

Bongo59

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

There are two things that will have an impact on this. Farley and Dupree being 100% healthy. The interior DL should be good and the run D should be formidable. Edge rush and press coverage in the secondary are the question marks.

Considering we gave up more passing TDs (36) than anyone in the last three decades this secondary is already an upgrade compared to what was on the field last year and I think that just a bit better DB play leads to double the sack count.  Teams will be throwing a lot more with TN scoring more.  

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Slightly off-topic, but can we take a minute to appreciate just how far Henry has come as a professional? It’s amazing to see where he is after the dancing, soft, immature rookie season he had. Whethe

One thing I took out of it is he was well aware of the run/pass ratio on first down and didn’t care because he believed that giving the ball to Henry was the best way to move the ball.  And it didn’t

Personally, I think they will be more balanced on 1st down - one just for efficiency's sake and two to impact how teams game plan for them.

55 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Yeah it’s pretty nuts to me when you have a big bodied WR like AJB that they don’t run more quick slants where he can just dominate.

NO has killed teams with slants to Mike Thomas for 5 years.  

30 minutes ago, Jamalisms said:

Fans of team with no recent prior success lament that new "great success" wasn't "ultimate success" and argue anyone will do better.

News at 11.

Except we didn’t have success on offense except for one playoff game out of four. We averaged under 20 points a game in the playoffs under Smith. 

13 points then 28. Then we put up a quick 10 against KC yet get the doors blown off by running Henry into stacked fronts. 13 last year versus Baltimore.

Doesn’t sound like a long term winning strategy in the playoffs to average 19 points. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Didn’t seem to help in the playoffs. I’m actually pretty happy he’s gone. I’d much rather see us implement a short passing game against good defenses. 

Do you mean as a some times play design? Because that negates how our offense fictions by stretching the field north to south. And I know most complain we don't do that but we do. We just do it by threatening 15-20 yards not over the top. 

I agree a few plays designed where the first/primary target is short would be good considering how good aj and Julio are after the catch and how money firk is on almost any call his way. But to go short quick passing when we want to back defenses up to help henry is not something I want as a feature.

Edited by Callidus

1 minute ago, Callidus said:

Do you mean as a some times play design? Because that negates how our offense fictions by stretching the field north to south. And know most complain we don't do that but we do. We just do it by threatening 15-20 yards not over the top. 

I agree a few plays designed where the first/primary short would be good considering how good an and Julio are after the catch and how money firk is on almost any call his way. But to go short quick passing when we want to back defenses up to help henry is not something I want as a feature.

Not as a feature, as a counter so we stop banging our heads against the wall in the playoffs. 

14 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Not as a feature, as a counter so we stop banging our heads against the wall in the playoffs. 

Then I agree, a play here and there with a flat, slant or drag as the first reed before they look for the dig or post 2-3 times a game would be good.m

Edited by Callidus

4 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Then I agree, a play here and there with a flat, slant or drag as the first reed before they look for the dig or post 2-3 times a game would be good.m

I would feature it in some games during the year to see how the offense handles the change. It needs to be more than a 1 off type thing. It has to be a pivot against good defenses. Henry isn’t the engine of the offense. We aren’t going to win a SB on his back. It has to be Tannehill. The easiest counter to when a team shuts down Henry is the short passing game. 

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Except we didn’t have success on offense except for one playoff game out of four. We averaged under 20 points a game in the playoffs under Smith. 

13 points then 28. Then we put up a quick 10 against KC yet get the doors blown off by running Henry into stacked fronts. 13 last year versus Baltimore.

Doesn’t sound like a long term winning strategy in the playoffs to average 19 points. 

What did we average in points for 3:00 games on the second Sunday of a month when the wind was over 25 mph?

@IsntLifeFunny is 100% correct here.  We won't compete against good (playoff) teams if we continue running Henry into stacked boxes, regardless of how good he is.  It might feel good to win 11 games, with several being by 3 points or less against some of the worst teams in the league, but if we aren't able to challenge at least moderately good teams, we will be no better than a Mularkey-ran team. 

Smith deserves credit for the offense being #2 and #4 since Tannehill took over. 

I think more than some around here his personality helped bring out the best in Tannehill. 

That isn’t the argument. We’ve now had some success. The offense under Smith stagnated in the playoffs both years. He had a good excuse last year because of the tackle situation, but we went up 10-0 and did exactly the same thing we pulled against every other team in the playoffs. Blame it on Vrabel, whomever, but the fact is trying to ride a RB to a SB doesn’t work. It’s either defense or the QB, usually a combination of the two. 

12 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

@IsntLifeFunny is 100% correct here.  We won't compete against good (playoff) teams if we continue running Henry into stacked boxes, regardless of how good he is.  It might feel good to win 11 games, with several being by 3 points or less against some of the worst teams in the league, but if we aren't able to challenge at least moderately good teams, we will be no better than a Mularkey-ran team. 

I think they will adjust this year. Let Henry feast against lesser competition. Come playoff time Henry will get his carries but the offense will be a lot more balanced and will put more on Tannehill. 

15 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

Gotta agree. I was disappointed by Smith's answer to the critique that he ran Henry in unfavorable situations too often. Despite how good Henry is, those defensive players and coaches get paid too and you can't make yourself that predictable relying on Henry to be a superhuman every time. I think we'll miss Arthur but that predictable 1st down Henry run is something that I hope goes with him.