TGO, Your Moment Has Come - Titans To Hire Data Analyst

Interesting thread here. Correct me if I'm wrong but analytics is an indicator of the probability of different outcomes in situations and scenarios, based on data gleaned from previous similar circumstances. It's one tool in a large tool chest. Where analytics fails IMHO is, football is such a highly emotional human experience and that alone can drastically alter reactions and outcomes. How do you factor the effects of adrenaline, confidence, bravado, angst, anger, fear and plain ol' dumb luck? Baseball managers are the best at spit second, gut level decisions that have a profound and drastic  effect on a game because they understand human nature, which is something mathematics can't touch.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well guys, I've enjoyed being part of the board all these years......... 

I’m curious - what do you do for a living there in Iowa?    Corn farmer?   I’m actually a senior financial analyst for a global fortune 500 company and an MBA/MAC, so a little overqua

tgo is going to feed them stats that actually make them run the ball more

Posted Images

5 hours ago, tgo said:

I’m curious - what do you do for a living there in Iowa? 

Corn farmer?

I’m actually a senior financial analyst for a global fortune 500 company and an MBA/MAC, so a little overqualified for that position. We make about as much in two weeks as the Titans org is worth in total. 

Probably doesnt pay nearly enough either. 

Anyway, let me know how the crop does this harvest season. And get ready to pony up that hundo when the Titans whoop the Colts ass for the Division title. 

I hope your company doesn't find out you spend most of your time posting on this fricking board. If I found you were working on any of my accts I would asked to have you removed. Nothing like charging the clients for posting on a football forum!!

1 hour ago, freakingeek said:

Interesting thread here. Correct me if I'm wrong but analytics is an indicator of the probability of different outcomes in situations and scenarios, based on data gleaned from previous similar circumstances. It's one tool in a large tool chest. Where analytics fails IMHO is, football is such a highly emotional human experience and that alone can drastically alter reactions and outcomes. How do you factor the effects of adrenaline, confidence, bravado, angst, anger, fear and plain ol' dumb luck? Baseball managers are the best at spit second, gut level decisions that have a profound and drastic  effect on a game because they understand human nature, which is something mathematics can't touch.

Analytics are for choosing the most optimal choice with the given data at hand. 

The human nature aspect I believe is over exaggerated. A coach on the sideline looking across the way to see X player having a mopey face and acting based on that alone is callous. The only time I agree with this stuff is when the player is directly on your team and you know they have some shit going on a la Davis’ brothers passing.

I had a passing interest in building a plays search engine, coupled with some aggregate visualizations.  But it felt too much like real work, and then I got a better job.

25 minutes ago, tgo said:

😆 I didn’t get to where I am in life from where I came from by posting on a message board with “most of my time,” but thanks for your input Trumpfuck. 

I don’t work on “client accounts” or “charge clients” these days anyway, but I did bill by the hour when I was auditing financial statements back in the day (my bill rate was about 275 an hour). These days I just work late hours into the night and on weekends when necessary and handle things other people aren’t capable of or willing to deal with, build out new automation processes, and mitigate sticky situations that others aren’t comfortable with. 

Anyway, happy trails hillbilly. 

Adding your billable rate seems kind of irrelevant. It’s not like you were getting paid anywhere near that much. 

57 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Analytics are for choosing the most optimal choice with the given data at hand. 

The human nature aspect I believe is over exaggerated. A coach on the sideline looking across the way to see X player having a mopey face and acting based on that alone is callous. The only time I agree with this stuff is when the player is directly on your team and you know they have some shit going on a la Davis’ brothers passing.

Eh, I think the physical nature of NFL football makes it different in that regard. 

Personally, I think having a feel for which players are struggling mentally or a feel for who is tired and who is better conditioned, whose will is going to break first, etc is most of the battle.

Like - there’s no analytic for when Lewan tells a guy something crazy (as he said) like “I’m gonna gonna grab your dick” before the play and totally throws a guy off and then wins the rep bc of it. @woolfolksunclesuncle

It’s not like college or other sports where the best athletes and play calls and the best analytical decisions just win by default. 

To me it’s more like a medieval battle with even armor/weapons, where the best overall strategy and those who have the best willpower, endurance to keep up technique throughout, end up with the win. 

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Well said. 

2 hours ago, freakingeek said:

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Eh, I think the physical nature of NFL football makes it different in that regard. 

Personally, I think having a feel for which players are struggling mentally or a feel for who is tired and who is better conditioned, whose will is going to break first, etc is most of the battle.

Like - there’s no analytic for when Lewan tells a guy something crazy (as he said) like “I’m gonna gonna grab your dick” before the play and totally throws a guy off and then wins the rep bc of it. @woolfolksunclesuncle

It’s not like college or other sports where the best athletes and play calls and the best analytical decisions just win by default. 

To me it’s more like a medieval battle with even armor/weapons, where the best overall strategy and those who have the best willpower, endurance to keep up technique throughout, end up with the win. 

Analytics doesn't have to be limited to statistics based on past game data, but that's what you hear about in games most of the time.

You could incorporate data from the current game if you had it Even data about the players mental and physical state if you had a way to monitor it!

7 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Analytics doesn't have to be limited to statistics based on past game data, but that's what you hear about in games most of the time.

You could incorporate data from the current game if you had it Even data about the players mental and physical state if you had a way to monitor it!

That’s a really big if though

17 minutes ago, tgo said:

That’s a really big if though

Yeah, totally. I think that for now it should be used provide context.

Like, that time Vrabel punted when basically no one ever had before. Maybe he shouldn't have gone with his gut there and having statistics tell him he was being a little bitch would have helped!

3 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Yeah, totally. I think that for now it should be used provide context.

Like, that time Vrabel punted when basically no one ever had before. Maybe he shouldn't have gone with his gut there and having statistics tell him he was being a little bitch would have helped!

Haha can’t disagree there.