How WILL the NFL defend the Titans offense?

2ToneTerror

What I find hilarious is listening to some of these national pundits talk about how the offense isn't a 30 PPG one and will still be the physical grind it out type.  The Titans averaged 30 PPG last year and were 2nd in yards....without Jones.

The Titans should be able to dictate things through personnel groupings.  In addition, the Shanahan piece of the offense is great at using PA, motion, and boots on multiple plays to cause hesitation from the defense.  12 personnel with Brown and Jones at WR should invite single coverage against those guys and there are few teams out their with the depth at CB to blanket both Brown and Jones. 

That being said, I'm sure teams will try to play cover 2/3 more to eliminate the explosive plays, which are huge.  It's much harder to methodically drive down the field 5 - 10 yards at a time and explosive plays have been a huge part of the success since RT took over.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

What I find hilarious is listening to some of these national pundits talk 

feast upon their ignorance.
return to them for their shaming whilst the Titans are conquerers

this is exactly it. Fuck a “balanced offense”. If the defense isn’t stopping the pass, you keep passing it. Let’s not try hit some number of carries or pass attempts and do whatever gives us the best chance to win. The bills were up on 45 pass attempts a game at times because no one could stop it

Teams will still play the run first and hope to force us into obvious passing situations, at that point its just a normal football play but the safety's just need to cheat much towards helping out on Julio/AJ.

If we still basically run, run, pass like we have been we are going to be massively disappointed with how potentially great this offense can be. Having a stud like Henry likely will force us to run more than we should.

AZ has the DL.......but their secondary is hot garbage.  I think TN needs to come out throwing to get a lead and then pound Henry in the second half.  I expect Reynolds and Firsker to have monster games week one.  

1 hour ago, FinFaninNOVA said:

Getting a pass rush with just four pass rushers is a killer to any passing offense. That is the biggest concern for the Titans. They must pass block better than last season. 

Getting Lewan back should help there. Hopefully the new RT will also be better, but that remains to be seen.

9 hours ago, japan said:

Actually it worked out perfectly for them.  They're offense was just crap...

12 hours ago, oldschool said:

Actually it did work. The Pats offense just sucked enough for it not to matter.

That's why I said they wrote the blueprint.  When I said it didn't work, it's because they still didn't win.  Fair point though.  We're all saying the same thing here I think. 

12 hours ago, FRT said:

Spoken by someone who has been around these message boards as long as I remember.  Exactly how I would defend plus don't be surprised if some Gregg Williams tactics start cropping their head if the Titans stay healthy.

I said yesterday I didn't want to say it because I don't want it to happen.  Vrabel has to be ready to blow the hell up if anybody hits Tanny late. Make a great big deal about it to media, maybe get fined.  The Titans don't have a big national following.  Get all eyes on that immediately.

I still don't think it's sunk in for me that the Titans - the Tennessee Titans - have the best offensive skill position trio in the NFL. I'm not sure it's even close now. 

I would take Henry/AJ/Julio over any other trio currently playing together in the NFL. Tyreek & Kelce, Kamara & Thomas, Metcalf & Lockett, Adams & Jones, and Godwin & Evans are all fantastic. But when you factor in that 3rd piece, adding Julio really does put us over the top in that regard (strictly in terms of skill position guys).

Gotta hope we stay healthy and the defensive changes work out. If so, this could be a special season.