Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal Tentatively Reached

27 minutes ago, tgo said:

Yeah, but I think McConnell is hoping to cause some Dem infighting here by signaling some support for this proposal. 

A few in the Senate have come out strongly that they won't support the bill without any climate provisions - but maybe they are just posturing for leverage. 

Maybe they can get some climate stuff in there with an addition of 200B or whatever in exchange for Dem concessions on tax increases. 

I think the lack of "climate" stuff is also why Biden rejected the first Republican offer too though.

A bipartisan group might call it "energy" but I'm guessing it's green energy not investing in fossil fuels (if it is then I would actually not support the bill probably lol).

This is from that Hill article.

Asked why Biden would accept the deal after he rejected Capito’s proposal, which was not drastically different, Cassidy pointed to a new energy section.

“We have an energy section in ours that in my conversation with the president said he really wanted,” he said.

I'm guessing we'll start to see the details today after Biden talks to the group though.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More nonsense from longtimebitch. The data doesn't lie, the GOP uses the filibuster to obstruct.    

Dems should be wildly broadcasting the fact that the GOP is trying to fund it on “user fees” (cost increases for normal people) because they refuse to raise taxes on corporations. 

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Starkiller said:

I’m fine increasing the gas tax. It has always been good policy and bad politics. The point of the gas tax was to pay for roads and bridges. 

But I want it to be clear to the American people who wanted it to be a tax on the wealthy vs who insisted it be a tax on everyday Americans. 

Start making people like Buffett, Musk, and Bezos pay more than 1% in income taxes and then we can talk. 

9 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Start making people like Buffett, Musk, and Bezos pay more than 1% in income taxes and then we can talk. 

Don’t get me wrong, I obviously also think that the wealthy need to pay more. That’s a separate issue and it’s only going to happen via reconciliation. And I can only hope the next budget includes massive tax overhauls to that effect.

But the gas tax was designed to cover road and bridge repairs. Yeah, it’s not a progressive tax, but it charges people who use the roads and bridges to repair the roads and bridges. And in addition, a higher gas tax is better in terms of incentivizing electric cars and more fuel efficient vehicles.

Which isn’t to say that I don’t think taxes on corporations and the wealthy should be used to fund other infrastructure projects. But the gas tax was implemented specifically to pay for road infrastructure. And if they were to eliminate oil subsidies to help pay for it, too, then even better (but I won’t hold my breath).

Edited by Starkiller
9 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Don’t get me wrong, I obviously also think that the wealthy need to pay more. That’s a separate issue and it’s only going to happen via reconciliation. And I can only hope the next budget includes massive tax overhauls to that effect.

But the gas tax was designed to cover road and bridge repairs. Yeah, it’s not a progressive tax, but it charges people who use the roads and bridges to repair the roads and bridges. And in addition, a higher gas tax is better in terms of incentivizing electric cars and more fuel efficient vehicles.

Which isn’t to say that I don’t think taxes on corporations and the wealthy should be used to fund other infrastructure projects. But the gas tax was implemented specifically to pay for road infrastructure. And if they were to eliminate oil subsidies to help pay for it, too, then even better (but I won’t hold my breath).

Like I said do one before the other. 

13 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Like I said do one before the other. 

In a perfect world, sure.

But again, Republicans aren’t going to vote to increase rich people's taxes. So to get a bill done without reconciliation it’s not an option. We can only hope it gets done in the next reconciliation bill. If Joe Manchin gives his leave, of course…

Schumer said they're going to have another dual track thing goin' on which I think is smart. Keep the Republicans honest. If they are just fucking around then go with the other bill.

I do think that the best solution is a solid bipartisan infrastructure bill and then a reconciliation bill later to get all those other high priority targets.

If the reconciliation bill doesn't happen though then they'll have left a ton of priorities on the table.

27 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Let's hurry up and get through the song and dance with the bipartisan negotiations so we can pass the real bill with reconciliation via Joe Manchin. 

• tgo changed the title to Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal Tentatively Reached
Just now, Titans279 said:

Going to be interesting to see how this shakes out. This is a pretty big moment for how well Biden's first term gets graded from my perspective.

https://www.axios.com/progressives-infrastructure-red-lines-29259e16-6480-4b03-ab84-ee8e3e0dfc24.html

McConnell may come out with a partial win here - overshadowing his conference voting against voting rights by then letting them vote for a bipartisan Infra deal and drowning out negative coverage. Biden also gets a partial political win though obviously.