Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal Passes Congress

tgo

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

More nonsense from longtimebitch. The data doesn't lie, the GOP uses the filibuster to obstruct.    

Dems should be wildly broadcasting the fact that the GOP is trying to fund it on “user fees” (cost increases for normal people) because they refuse to raise taxes on corporations. 

Posted Images

They did a better job of getting the top line number larger. It will look closer than it is to the many people who just see those two numbers. 

They probably hope Dems accept this because it is bipartisan and then the political will to pass another reconciliation bill dries up ( likely imo) so the rest of Biden’s agenda never happens. 

7 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

They did a better job of getting the top line number larger. It will look closer than it is to the many people who just see those two numbers. 

They probably hope Dems accept this because it is bipartisan and then the political will to pass another reconciliation bill dries up ( likely imo) so the rest of Biden’s agenda never happens. 

Eeyore GIF by memecandy

17 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Eeyore GIF by memecandy

You think that if they break out the bipartisan elements and pass the infrastructure bill now that there will be support to pass the other big ticket items in a standalone reconciliation bill this fall?

Seems unlikely to me. People will be too skittish for 2022 elections and I don't think Manchin or Sinema will even be that motivated to pass those more progressive spending items either.

I know this is your schtick but I think this is actually a valid point and it's probably a big reason Biden might not agree to a bill now.

Edited by Titans279

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

You think that if they break out the bipartisan elements and pass the infrastructure bill now that there will be support to pass the other big ticket items in a standalone reconciliation bill this fall?

Seems unlikely to me. People will be too skittish for 2022 elections and I don't think Manchin or Sinema will even be that motivated to pass those more progressive spending items either.

I know this is your schtick but I think this is actually a valid point and it's probably a big reason Biden might not agree to a bill now.

I don't know but I think its more likely they go at it alone without the GOP. If the dems don't pass menaingful legislation before 2022, they are screwed in the midterms and they will deserve whatever happens to them.

32 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I don't know but I think its more likely they go at it alone without the GOP. If the dems don't pass menaingful legislation before 2022, they are screwed in the midterms and they will deserve whatever happens to them.

Yeah I think so. My comment was meant about what would likely happen if they didn't.

They might be able to go bipartisan on a China related bill instead. They should!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2021/03/10/president-bidens-second-big-bill-may-be-china-package-pushed-by-top-senate-democrat/

I wonder if there is a way to tie funding of a bill to the number of Senators/Congresspeople who vote in favor if it.

I have my doubt as it has never been done (as far as I know). But if they could basically say every state's level of infrastructure funding is directly related to how many members of Congress vote for it. Or it’s tied to population, but you get 50% funding for each Senator who votes to pass the bill.

I'm sure there’s some reason why it can’t exist, but that’s one way to force a little bipartisan support…

On 5/27/2021 at 11:53 AM, tgo said:

What's the total proposals from both? Me personally... I care more about the overall impact than how much came from "new" spending. And Dem voters have to get over this effort for bipartisanship. Congress isn't structured for one party rule, and both parties need to get back in the habit of negotiating in good faith and coming to a compromise. 

Let's say Dems go the reconciliation route with infrastructure. Does that make it more or less likely to get other agenda items done?

Edited by luvyablue256

• tgo changed the title to Bipartisan Infrastructure Deal Passes Congress