Mike Sando - Execs Unfiltered - Titans.....

BudsOilers

Some shots fired in their direction on bad drafting

Five consecutive winning seasons across two coaching staffs have masked a poor run of early drafting for the Titans, a run execs think could worsen after Tennessee used its first-round pick for a cornerback with two back surgeries in his medical file. Caleb Farley at No. 22 seemed like a risky pick for a team whose 2020 first-round choice, Isaiah Wilson, is already out of the league.

“If the corner becomes a good player, God bless them, but his medical was terrible,” an exec said. “You look at the Isaiah Wilson pick last year. Then you have (Rashad) Weaver in the fourth round this year with an assault case that comes out. Then you go back and look at all the fifth-year options that were declined, and then the one they picked up was for Adoree Jackson, who they cut. There are a lot of mishaps there that it seems like just aren’t being talked about.”

It’s all true, but with Ryan Tannehill’s career revival helping Tennessee go 11-5 last season for its best record since 2008, the Titans own the NFL’s ninth-best record in three seasons under coach Mike Vrabel.

“We liked the North Dakota State guard they took (Dillon Radunz) in the second round,” a GM said. “He could play right tackle. But we were way more worried about Farley’s back than some of the other injuries for guys in the first couple rounds.”

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm guessing the execs are Chris Ballard, Trent Baalke, and Nick Cesario ?

I think the Titans are in a much better position to contend for the SB this season than last season.     

Robinson's early draft resume definitely is bad. His overall team building is good overall though

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Guts said:

We can't afford to miss on yet another first round prospect. 

Agreed.  Can't miss on this guy.  Didn't like the pick but the guy is very intriguing.  Back is almost as concerning as neck injury in my mind.

Conklin, Jackson, Davis, Wilson not being on the team and having 2nd round flame out quickly after being drafted... but Robinson got some homerun hitters that save him

Nothing surprising in those comments, no doubt JRob has taken on unnecessary extra risk with the last two first round picks in Wilson/Farley.

If this offense significantly regresses this season JRob has put a target on himself for further criticism, also with the amount of resources allocated to this defensive makeover if it isn't significantly improved over last year there needs to be serious questions asked about whether Vrabel is the right guy to lead this franchise going forward.

52 minutes ago, Guts said:

We can't afford to miss on yet another first round prospect. 

Eh. What happens if he gets injured and doesnt play much but the team goes 12-5 and wins a playoff game or two? 

It’s not like they’d fire Robinson. 

19 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Nothing surprising in those comments, no doubt JRob has taken on unnecessary extra risk with the last two first round picks in Wilson/Farley.

If this offense significantly regresses this season JRob has put a target on himself for further criticism, also with the amount of resources allocated to this defensive makeover if it isn't significantly improved over last year there needs to be serious questions asked about whether Vrabel is the right guy to lead this franchise going forward.

It's possible some of those execs could have been working for teams who picked after the Titans chewing on sour grapes because they were eying Farley. JRob already sniped Simmons year before last, which I'm sure left some feeling raw about it.. If Farley works out and fulfills his potential then JRob stole two players at premium positions. Guys who can help turn a defense over.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

57 minutes ago, tgo said:

The rest of the draft is probably solid enough that we can afford a miss on Farley if the gamble doesn’t pay off. 

You can't just treat first round picks like lottery tickets like JRob has done the last two years eventually its going to catch up with him if he continues down this path.

I know that I sound over overly negative about the teams prospects right now but just want to clarify my point of view, I don't mind some of the things JRob did in the draft I liked the Radunz/Molden/Weaver picks but I think a lot of what he did isn't going to reap rewards until 2022.

Anyone expecting an immediate contribution from Farley is being overly optimistic, the guy will have had 2 back surgeries and won't have played a game in 20 months by the time training kicks off, plus the recovery time from the latest surgery only has him being cleared for football activities the week that training camp begins, its hard to imagine he will be stepping foot on the field in any of the preseason games and it will be a race against time to be ready for week 1.

I have some real concerns about 2021 becoming a lost year as they are reshaping this roster for the next push, on a positive note I think this defense has the potential to be pretty decent in 2022 with all the resources spent in the secondary and on the DL, hopefully next offseason we can add a few more offensive difference makers and get back to where this team was talent wise 12 months ago.

1 minute ago, NashvilleNinja said:

It's possible some of those execs could have been working for teams who picked after the Titans chewing on sour grapes because they were eying Farley.

Or that it’s all horseshit because it sound less like an actual  nfl exec and more like a bunch of recent media narratives about the Titans forced into a bullshit “conversation” with a person of “authority”.