Jump to content

Agressive move: trade Lewan right now for a first in 2022 to Denver?


Recommended Posts

With the way the offensive line played last year without him, rotating his tackle position for what are considered veteran role players, the move was to cut him instead of several others that will inevitably cost the Titans this coming season. I love how some commented about setting up another Super Bowl run. What run? We got lucky during week 17 in 2019 without Watson and played are two best games rising to the occasion like many teams have done throughout the years as overlooked underdogs. Be that it played out, players like Casey, Ryan, Smith, Davis, Correra and Vaccaro were all major factors not on this roster today.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Delete this.

why did you knuckleheads respond? and yes, I'm well aware I'm in that group too.

Bongo, RassKass, Joel and Tolar all on board...

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, TrueLuvYaBlue77 said:

With the way the offensive line played last year without him, rotating his tackle position for what are considered veteran role players, the move was to cut him instead of several others that will inevitably cost the Titans this coming season. I love how some commented about setting up another Super Bowl run. What run? We got lucky during week 17 in 2019 without Watson and played are two best games rising to the occasion like many teams have done throughout the years as overlooked underdogs. Be that it played out, players like Casey, Ryan, Smith, Davis, Correra and Vaccaro were all major factors not on this roster today.  

Getting hot in the playoffs is usually what it takes. See Tampa who looked Like shit for most of the regular season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Fearing stupidity is actually a good thing and trading Lewan right now would be categorically stupid.

How so? We played most of last season WITHOUT him. We had a 2,000 yard rusher and eked out a decade's best 11 win season. 

 

Out top 3 tackles for the upcoming season (without Lewan) figure to be better than the 3 we had last season (without Lewan).

 

I hope you guys are not trying to insinuate that had Lewan not been injured, we would have gone undefeated?!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, charleytolar said:

How so? We played most of last season WITHOUT him. We had a 2,000 yard rusher and eked out a decade's best 11 win season. 

 

Out top 3 tackles for the upcoming season (without Lewan) figure to be better than the 3 we had last season (without Lewan).

 

I hope you guys are not trying to insinuate that had Lewan not been injured, we would have gone undefeated?!!!!

He was missed last year despite other posters saying otherwise. He's our best OL and plays the most key position. The odds of replacing him with a comparable talent are minuscule. Hard pass. Nothing to discuss IMO

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

He was missed last year despite other posters saying otherwise. He's our best OL and plays the most key position. The odds of replacing him with a comparable talent are minuscule. Hard pass. Nothing to discuss IMO

How come we had our "best" season without him mostly? I appreciate your opinion (and that's all it is... as is mine), but the insults and name-calling with those who may disagree seems out of order. Be a fan not a fanatic...

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, japan said:

Getting hot in the playoffs is usually what it takes. See Tampa who looked Like shit for most of the regular season. 

 

Tampa deserves credit for winning 4 games in a row and winning it all; they have nothing to apologize for . However their run is one of the more improbable runs in recent memory where everything lined up perfectly for them. Everyone just assumes Tampa won because of brady but the truth is it was due to the following:

 

1. a defense that had to face the Skins terrible 4th string QB, a washed up Brees, Rodgers on an off day, and Maholmes without an OL

2. An offense that scored points off turnovers at a clip we'll likely never see again, something like 7 TDs off 8 turnovers

3, timely big TDs scored before the half in multiple games

 

 

Edited by oldschool
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

How come we had our "best" season without him mostly? I appreciate your opinion (and that's all it is... as is mine), but the insults and name-calling with those who may disagree seems out of order. Be a fan not a fanatic...

I think we were able to overcome his absence overall but not against the best teams in the NFL. It's precisely those games that we need to win to get over this hump. Sambraillo and Quessenberry are fine when we play the average teams, with average pass rushers but when we play great rushers, that difference is felt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

Tampa deserves credit for winning 4 games in a row and winning it all; they have nothing to apologize for . However their run is one of the more improbable runs in recent memory where everything lined up perfectly for them. Everyone just assumes Tampa won because of brady but the truth is it was due to the following:

 

1. a defense that had to face the Skins terrible 4th string QB, a washed up Brees, Rodgers on an off day, and Maholmes without an OL

2. An offense that scored points off turnovers at a clip we'll likely never see again, something like 7 TDs off 8 turnovers

3, timely big TDs scored before the half in multiple games

 

 

The crazy thing is I STILL feel like their offense wasn't that good lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I think we were able to overcome his absence overall but not against the best teams in the NFL. It's precisely those games that we need to win to get over this hump. Sambraillo and Quessenberry are fine when we play the average teams, with average pass rushers but when we play great rushers, that difference is felt.

I struggle to agree that the difference between winning and losing is found at LT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

I struggle to agree that the difference between winning and losing is found at LT.

 

QB, LT, Edge. They're the most important positions in football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

I struggle to agree that the difference between winning and losing is found at LT.

I think it's a game of inches and when two good teams are evenly matched, a handful of plays may decide that game. A QB hurry that forces a check down when the post would've been open a fraction of a second earlier; a sack that knocks you out of field goal range when you were in a rhythm and about to tie a game or take the lead. Maybe even a run play where your tackle isn't athletic enough to reach that second level defender so you get 3 instead of the 7 that could've gotten the first down that ices the game. It's a game of inches and once you decide that the inches aren't that important and that you can just "make due", you'll find yourself a foot short and missing the playoffs. This is a team gearing up to compete with the best of the best, not to just be competitive. You needs the horses. Talent wins in this league all that other stuff is secondary.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Trading Lewan, who's a bargain contract now with no guarantees left through 2023, isn't the answer but I also don't agree that they lost games because he wasn't there.  I've already refuted the narrative that the Titans were using Smith as a blocker to compensate as some tried to argue.  But make no mistake, Lewan is a top level LT and the OP premise is dumb - Denver isn't in the market for a LT and doing so would then have Radunz go there and open back up RT as a long term need. 

 

Back to the 2020 Titans, when their offense had issues, it was from the well discussed imbalance of run versus pass on first down where teams did slow down or in Baltimore's case shut down Henry.    The Titans failed to adjust to this or go against their trends to begin with and it cost them. 

 

It should also be noted that in some of those games, the defense was horrible and the Titans were playing from a deficit early on (Steelers, Browns, Packers).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mythos27 said:

I think we were able to overcome his absence overall but not against the best teams in the NFL. It's precisely those games that we need to win to get over this hump. Sambraillo and Quessenberry are fine when we play the average teams, with average pass rushers but when we play great rushers, that difference is felt.

OH, I checked and in our playoff lost to Baltimore, we sacked them 5 times and they sacked us ONCE-- not sure if it was the LT's fault or not... Cleveland sacked us 3 times (IDL, MLB, and Myles Garrett).  Green Bay sacked us 2 times (OLB, DE). Cincy sacked us 1 time (LB).

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, tgo said:

 

QB, LT, Edge. They're the most important positions in football. 

Of course, but in this thread the assertion is making the LT the pivot point. Far and away it is QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...