Rashad Weaver Charged with Simple Assault

tgo

I don't know if this incident changes anything. Maybe as a 1st rounder but not this late a pick. This close to the draft it's basically in the same bucket as if it happened just after the draft.

Character checks are supposed to highlight patterns. There isn't much a team can do if a clean player suddenly starts the troublesome patterns really late or after being selected.

Edited by OzTitan

• Replies 428
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

After I see how good he is I'll make a judgement on his guilt or innocence 

A Titan defender that can hit somebody!  I like it

They released her at the scene.  She went to the hospital 4 days later.  Almost like she found out who he was.....$$$$$    

Posted Images

Moving away from the question of whether or not they should have known about the incident (they should have), there is another issue with JRob's evaluation. 

They just drafted a guy who told a cop straight up that he thinks you need to smack a woman sometimes. Rationalize to me how JRob shouldn't have known about this guy's character? What an idiot. You're coming off a terrible year of miscalculations, you draft a major injury risk in the 1st, and you also take the one guy in the draft with a female assault incident. 

At some point it's not bad luck; it's a pattern. 

Edited by cenj

7 hours ago, tgo said:

It's possible that Patrick Calloway will/should be fired over this since the charge was filed 10 days before the draft. 

He hasn't contributed much as far as I'm aware in the two years since he has been an area scout. 

But then again - do you just give him a warning and chalk it up to lesson learned? 

I do think it'd be a bad look to keep the player and fire the scout. If they cut the player then it would make the firing feel justified/logical

Anyone know whether the Titans are holding their rookie mini camp this weekend or next weekend, will be interesting to see if Weaver is in attendance or whether the team tells him to stay away until his legal situation is a bit clearer.

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

8 hours ago, freakingeek said:

The fact that 3 other teams knew about it means the info was out there when we drafted him and after last year's debacle, they should have turned over every stone before drafting him.

Every stone? A 4th rounder? Just stfu keyboard warrior

12 hours ago, oldschool said:

No we don't know that. See my posts up thread. Explain to me how 32 teams can monitor hundreds of draft candidates the days leading up to the draft. The premise is flawed.

I've read multiple sources saying at least 3 other teams knew. Obviously teams who were thinking about drafting him. How did they find out? 

3 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

I've read multiple sources saying at least 3 other teams knew. Obviously teams who were thinking about drafting him. How did they find out? 

Who cares. the question is how did they know? if you can't answer that then it's silly to hold the Titans accountable for not knowing. For all we know some local Pitt guy got wind of it and texted a buddy who knew a few scouts in the NFL; thats not a policy or a procedure, that is all about who you know. So explain to me how teams are supposed to track players on their draft boards in between the pre draft process where background checks and other vetting occurs and the few days before the draft.

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Who cares. the question is how did they know? if you can't answer that then it's silly to hold the Titans accountable for not knowing. For all we know some local Pitt guy got wind of it and texted a buddy who knew a few scouts in the NFL; thats not a policy or a procedure, that is all about who you know. So explain to me how teams are supposed to track players on their draft boards in between the pre draft process where background checks and other vetting occurs and the few days before the draft.

It is about who you know, that's half the battle of scouting in the NFL. So the criticism would be having a bunch of young/inexperienced area scouts after ousting the older guys. 

But again, it's a tradeoff because Robinson wants things done his way. Both he and Vrabel surround themselves with yes men for the most part. It's great to have everyone rowing in the same direction for sure, but there are some tradeoffs. Hopefully the young guys learn along the way and expand their network of connections at schools as they gain experience. 

You see that blowup between vet scout Donahue and Roseman with the Eagles caught on camera the other day and think twice about having a bunch of older grizzled veteran area scouts. 

20 minutes ago, tgo said:

It is about who you know, that's half the battle of scouting in the NFL. So the criticism would be having a bunch of young/inexperienced area scouts after ousting the older guys. 

But again, it's a tradeoff because Robinson wants things done his way. Both he and Vrabel surround themselves with yes men for the most part. It's great to have everyone rowing in the same direction for sure, but there are some tradeoffs. Hopefully the young guys learn along the way and expand their network of connections at schools as they gain experience. 

You see that blowup between vet scout Donahue and Roseman with the Eagles caught on camera the other day and think twice about having a bunch of older grizzled veteran area scouts. 

yes... but that doesn't mean there is some flaw in the process. you would need a process for that be the case.

^^^^^^^^^

And on cue, here come members of the Tard Army storming Baptist Sports Park.....

18 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

Come on!  Don't fall into hitting the blame Vrabel easy button......Vrabel works for Robinson, not the other way around.

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

In this particular case a simple phone call to the agent would've gone a long way. If they made it customary to check up on these guys a day or two away from the draft that could help. In this particular case, they could've called up Weaver's agent and asked "Hey has anything changed with Rashad that we should know about"? At that point the agent might be honest and share in which case, now you know and can make a decision OR the agent can lie to you (losing trust/burning a bridge in the process) but at the very least your process allows you to say, "we checked in the 2-3 days before the draft and were told there were no issues" and you can at least cover your ass. This would not be overly onerous on the organization and would add a layer that might be helpful. I'm sure some stuff will still fall through the cracks but you address those as they come. The answer to this situation can't be "Oh well, what are you gonna do"?

If the Titans did this (we don't know either way) then I wouldn't hold them responsible in the least because at they point it would be very difficult for them to find out. We'll see what comes out

Edited by Mythos27

19 hours ago, Face said:

I have to say, after this Weaver thing Im wondering if Vrabel has possibly influenced Robinson at all, to possibly overlook certain aspects of a player that they really love physically.

Interesting.

Three teams said they knew about the incident.  That leaves 29 teams that possibly did not.  The pick was considered one of the Titans better values.  So, some team was going to take him.  Now, if it comes out that he has laundry list of slapaho charges I could see the team looking bad.  If not, this is just way, way overblown.

4 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Three teams said they knew about the incident.  That leaves 29 teams that possibly did not.  The pick was considered one of the Titans better values.  So, some team was going to take him.  Now, if it comes out that he has laundry list of slapaho charges I could see the team looking bad.  If not, this is just way, way overblown.