Will white men keep us from reaching herd immunity?

AJClown

Polls show that at least 40% of white men in this country say that they will not get the covid vaccines. If you add this to the others in the nation that are hesitant, we will not reach herd immunity, never. So the waves of new and ever deadlier variants of covid will just keep sweeping over the nation . When you add this to the fact that many of these same people refuse to even just wear masks, we may never get back to anything like normal.

Yes. Once the medical community released mortality statistics by race which showed Blacks and Hispanics disproportionately dying, conservative, selfish white men absolved themselves of any social responsibility containing the outbreak.  Clay Travis was a denier from day 1 and doubled down after the previous Surgeon General annouced the mortality rates last Spring. Then Trump started yelling "liberate!" 

3 hours ago, luvyablue256 said:

Yes. Once the medical community released mortality statistics by race which showed Blacks and Hispanics disproportionately dying, conservative, selfish white men absolved themselves of any social responsibility containing the outbreak.  Clay Travis was a denier from day 1 and doubled down after the previous Surgeon General annouced the mortality rates last Spring. Then Trump started yelling "liberate!" 

You're a moron.   Why is it that the same % of Blacks say that they will not get the covid vaccines?

27 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

You're a moron.   Why is it that the same % of Blacks say that they will not get the covid vaccines?

Yup. I am curious as to the current polls since this is months old data butttt.....

(that being said, there being exponentially more white males in the country is the biggest HERDle to immunity)

image.png.e6ca534a2be723156c99e52c303c8c60.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

Not all white men are avoiding vaccination, speaking for yours truly.  And not all Black men are getting vaccinated.

Race is not the right metric from that research.  The thread should be "Are Republicans going to prevent herd immunity".  And the answer is clearly yes.

I think covid is going to be with us forever and the good news is that even without heard immunity we're at the point where they have had two consecutive days in LA county with no deaths for the first time since the pandemic started. Things just won't be as bad as they were during the big waves and will be relatively "normal".

I think we'll basically have to live with the constant specter of a new mutation that kills us all but hopefully most of the mutations are relatively benign like they are so far and people keep getting booster shots that are targeted at various mutations that pop up.

1 hour ago, pat said:

Not all white men are avoiding vaccination, speaking for yours truly.  And not all Black men are getting vaccinated.

Race is not the right metric from that research.  The thread should be "Are Republicans going to prevent herd immunity".  And the answer is clearly yes.

Exactly. Bringing race into the conversation of those not wanting to get vaccinated is disingenuous and frankly, pretty distracting to the real issue.

37 minutes ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Exactly. Bringing race into the conversation of those not wanting to get vaccinated is disingenuous and frankly, pretty distracting to the real issue.

Its mainly a political ideological issue but politics is racial as hell these days. Hard to ignore the nearly parallel fault-lines

2 hours ago, pat said:

A LOT of black people aren't getting vaccinated. There is a portion of the community that is still thinking of things like the Tuskegee Syphilis experiments and are therefore not ready to trust Uncle Sam to do right. The lapse in thinking is the fact that pharmaceutical companies didn't get involved with Tuskegee, and they're not about to develop a pogrom for black people. They'd much rather have them as living customers.

The portion of the white male community refusing the vaccine are not tough to identify. The people who preached (organic) herd immunity in 2020 are now the reason we won't reach herd immunity in 2021.

27 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

So if approximately 60?% of Americans are not vaccinated, you guys are saying they are all Republicans? And if so, then you clearly stole the election.

I bet most of the 56% of conservatives who got vaccinated also voted for Biden?

Oh yeah and they aren't registered Republicans anymore either, though they'll still vote conservative in local elections.

I think plenty of seniors who are Trumptards got vaccinated. They are the most at risk and anything that affects them directly has to be the priority. The boomers are generally out for themselves.

My aunt and uncle are crazy Rush-listening (when he was breathing) Trump cultists but they are also germaphobes. They got the vaccine ASAP. And my dad's friends who are Republicans (not all Trump cultists but still partially defended him) got their shots.

5 minutes ago, unauthorizedcinnamon said:

A LOT of black people aren't getting vaccinated. There is a portion of the community that is still thinking of things like the Tuskegee Syphilis experiments and are therefore not ready to trust Uncle Sam to do right. The lapse in thinking is the fact that pharmaceutical companies didn't get involved with Tuskegee, and they're not about to develop a pogrom for black people. They'd much rather have them as living customers.

The portion of the white male community refusing the vaccine are not tough to identify. The people who preached (organic) herd immunity in 2020 are now the reason we won't reach herd immunity in 2021.

I overheard a dude the other day harassing some tourists getting a Citibike.  Why you guys need the vaccine?  It's because your bodies are weak!  What's your body made of?  My bodies made of produce!

This was while I was in line at the drive through to McDonalds

9 hours ago, wiscotitansfan said:

Yup. I am curious as to the current polls since this is months old data butttt.....

(that being said, there being exponentially more white males in the country is the biggest HERDle to immunity)

image.png.e6ca534a2be723156c99e52c303c8c60.png

https://www.pewresearch.org/science/2021/03/05/growing-share-of-americans-say-they-plan-to-get-a-covid-19-vaccine-or-already-have/

I do not believe any medical chart should use political views as a determinant for anything.    

The Pueblo Indians have a high incidence of diabetes and HBP.  They live in Arizona and New Mexico.  There are also Pueblo Indians who fled America and live in Mexico.  They do not have the same medical problems.  The only difference is diet.  The Americans Pueblo are on the poor American people diet.  The ones in Mexico eat the more traditional diet of the Pueblo.

Archived