Worst draft grading article in history?

My perception over the past 20 years is draft analysis has gotten a lot more friendly and positive. Immediate rankings like these are an artefact of that.

I feel like, not long ago, draft analysts were much more opinionated and willing to project busts among 1st rounders and the likes. Not that the shift is necessarily a bad thing but noone goes out on much of a limb anymore.

I get why they do these silly articles;  after all, the draft is now over and the season is still 4 months away....what else are they supposed to write about ?    They’re  chasing a paycheck, not a Pulitzer.

The authors are well aware that these articles are just so much  useless fluff ....but their editors demand  something to drive clicks and attract page views:  articles like this are easy, low-hanging fruit.  

The whole grading got a lot easier when the pundits, including a ton of high profile media folks, completely skewered Seattle's 2011 and 2012 drafts with D's and F's and they came away with a bunch of Pro Bowlers and 3 guys that will be HOF'ers - Sherman, Wagner, and Wilson. 

Few want to be on that island but the whole fucking thing is a scam that fans fall for every year.  The hype about the draft by ESPN, NFLN, etc. always pushes the QB's to the top of the draft and creates this mob of fans that think they know more about prospects that the professionals do.  Bottom line is that the media and the fans no little to nothing about 90% of the draft prospects and give minimal consideration to how the teams actually evaluate the prospects on their individual team's boards and flat out ignore things like how they interviewed or their medicals. 

How could they pass up so and so and draft that guy projected to be a day 3 guy! 

The immediate grading of NFL drafts is totally meaningless. Everyone knows that a draft can't be accurately graded for at least 4 or 5 years.

I wonder what the draft grades were for the Steelers back in 1974 when they took future Hall of Famers Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, and Mike Webster. A+++++++

Pittsburgh also had a fifth player that season, safety Donnie Shell, who was undrafted and will go into the Hall of Fame this year as part of the Centennial Class of 2020.

3 minutes ago, Oiler FANatic said:

The immediate grading of NFL drafts is totally meaningless. Everyone knows that a draft can't be accurately graded for at least 4 or 5 years.

I wonder what the draft grades were for the Steelers back in 1974 when they took future Hall of Famers Lynn Swann, Jack Lambert, John Stallworth, and Mike Webster. A+++++++

Pittsburgh also had a fifth player that season, safety Donnie Shell, who was undrafted and will go into the Hall of Fame this year as part of the Centennial Class of 2020.

”The Steelers seem to have come out of the first five rounds of the draft appreciably strengthened at wide receiver but nowhere else. They didn’t get a tight end, and the ones remaining are more suspect than prospect. They didn’t get a punter, although none of the nation’s best collegiate punters went in the first five rounds. They didn’t get an offensive tackle who might’ve shored up what could well become a weakness. What they did get was Swann, who seems to be a sure-pop to help; Lambert, who figures to be the No. 5 linebacker if he pans out; and three question marks.”

6 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

The whole grading got a lot easier when the pundits, including a ton of high profile media folks, completely skewered Seattle's 2011 and 2012 drafts with D's and F's and they came away with a bunch of Pro Bowlers and 3 guys that will be HOF'ers - Sherman, Wagner, and Wilson. 

Few want to be on that island but the whole fucking thing is a scam that fans fall for every year.  The hype about the draft by ESPN, NFLN, etc. always pushes the QB's to the top of the draft and creates this mob of fans that think they know more about prospects that the professionals do.  Bottom line is that the media and the fans no little to nothing about 90% of the draft prospects and give minimal consideration to how the teams actually evaluate the prospects on their individual team's boards and flat out ignore things like how they interviewed or their medicals. 

How could they pass up so and so and draft that guy projected to be a day 3 guy! 

The first sentence would have sufficed. Keep it pithy. 

8 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

That actually did have a lot to do with it. But then in the following years I swear I’ve tried to figure out if Seattle has stuck with the same process that made them look like geniuses or if they’ve taken it too far & draft like they know things the rest of the teams don’t, cause their drafts have been weird. And bad. DK has been their savior pick.

But no question, the fans clueless lust for the draft has led to it literally  becoming an industry. And the huge bear hugs by Goodell get old. And I really can’t take the obsession with the QB’s anymore. It’s all they talk about. A QB gets picked in the 5th round & everything stops. It’s laughable. 

Bottom line is Goodell shouldn't be the one introducing the picks. Nobody likes the MF anyway. Get someone in there with some cool. You know, like Snoop Dogg. As far as draft grading in concerned, it's silly. It's like judging stock market investments right after you make them.

Edited by freakingeek
18 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Bottom line is Goodell shouldn't be the one introducing the picks. Nobody likes the MF anyway. Get someone in there with some cool. You know, like Snoop Dogg. As far as draft grading in concerned, it's silly. It's like judging stock market investments right after you make them.

Snoop is annoying too. One thing I like about the NFL is they keep stuff professional. I get tired of all silly stuff lol. The NBA be on Goofy childish stuff. Like weird nicknames on the back of jerseys and stuff. Nah I'd much rather the NFL keep everything professional.