Fans Expect Too Much From The Draft

3 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Great Post!   You are a little hard on the 2018 class.  

Fans are in denial of what is happening.  2020 was our year.  2020 was the peak of the Mariota run.  The 2019 Titans busted into SB contention. Wilson, Clowney and Beasley plus the team got hit with injuries.  2020 was a nightmare and they still won the division. 

During the Mariota run, JRob did a masterful job replacing players who were injured or those who didn't work out.  He even changed the QB during the run.  Two HCs.  Three OC.  Three DC.  Hires so good, two OCs are now HCs in the NFL.  I won't name them all, but every time a player went down a very capable replacement came in.

The money ran out.   Runs do not last forever.  

I will say I think this draft was good enough to keep us in contention to this year so I'm pretty pleased.

35 minutes ago, XAEA12 said:

I will say I think this draft was good enough to keep us in contention to this year so I'm pretty pleased.

We should all be on our knees thankful we somehow managed to get Tanne here. He is the nucleus of the TItans and the reason we are all anxious about football again. We know what potential we have in him and his ability to deliver. Unlike Mariota who flashed, Tanne rarely ever has a WTF moment.  I have never seen a guy with such a short term memory. He gets nailed or sacked and doesn't give a shit. Gets right up and delivers on the next play. Damn machinelike. I would hate to think what would happen if we didn't have him. I also believe he has rejuvenated the level of play for the Titans, and players want to come here now. 

4 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

We should all be on our knees thankful we somehow managed to get Tanne here. He is the nucleus of the TItans and the reason we are all anxious about football again. We know what potential we have in him and his ability to deliver. Unlike Mariota who flashed, Tanne rarely ever has a WTF moment.  I have never seen a guy with such a short term memory. He gets nailed or sacked and doesn't give a shit. Gets right up and delivers on the next play. Damn machinelike. I would hate to think what would happen if we didn't have him. I also believe he has rejuvenated the level of play for the Titans, and players want to come here now. 

Tannehill is living the "if I had a chance to go back and do that over again, Man I would". 

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Tannehill is living the "if I had a chance to go back and do that over again, Man I would". 

And did.  He is another in a list of QBs that foundered with other teams and found a home with a different club. Steve Young was a nothing in Tampa, then Walsh got him and the rest is history.  There are many stories of athletes that were written off only to find the "right" place for them to be.  Johnny Unitas was a 3rd string backup with the Steelers, relegated to playing pitch and catch at practice with the owners kid.  And then he left. 

I think as we get older our priorities change and our time becomes more important. Atleast for me it has. As far as the draft. I still follow it...But I'm not as in tune with it because I don't watch college football like I use too, so Im not as in tune with as many players as I once was. There was a time when I knew who I wanted us to draft from the 1st to the 5th round. Now I'm lost after the first 2 rounds lol.

6 minutes ago, NFL2K5 said:

I think as we get older our priorities change and our time becomes more important. Atleast for me it has. As far as the draft. I still follow it...But I'm not as in tune with it because I don't watch college football like I use too, so Im not as in tune with as many players as I once was. There was a time when I knew who I wanted us to draft from the 1st to the 5th round. Now I'm lost after the first 2 rounds lol.

That's another thing for me. I gave up on college football around the Texas USC Rose bowl, so if I don't follow the draft lead up I don't know any of the players.

1 hour ago, JoelinBellevue said:

And did.  He is another in a list of QBs that foundered with other teams and found a home with a different club. Steve Young was a nothing in Tampa, then Walsh got him and the rest is history.  There are many stories of athletes that were written off only to find the "right" place for them to be.  Johnny Unitas was a 3rd string backup with the Steelers, relegated to playing pitch and catch at practice with the owners kid.  And then he left. 

This is one of the most hilarious posts I have ever read here! Unitas and Young were two of the greatest QB's in NFL history, Tannehill isn't even close to either of them.:lolabove:

7 hours ago, XAEA12 said:

That's another thing for me. I gave up on college football around the Texas USC Rose bowl, so if I don't follow the draft lead up I don't know any of the players.

Lol that's probably around the time I also stopped watching as closely. Once I got out of High school (Which was around that time) I stopped really watching the college game. But it was mostly because I hated that spread offense & offenses scoring 40 and 50 points with absolutely no defense. I use to actually watch college more than pros. That spread offense stuff is what made me lose interest. Now its like I have to much to do on Saturdays lol. 

44 minutes ago, NFL2K5 said:

Lol that's probably around the time I also stopped watching as closely. Once I got out of High school (Which was around that time) I stopped really watching the college game. But it was mostly because I hated that spread offense & offenses scoring 40 and 50 points with absolutely no defense. I use to actually watch college more than pros. That spread offense stuff is what made me lose interest. Now its like I have to much to do on Saturdays lol. 

The new overtime rules in college have really kept me from getting back into it.

1-10 at the 25 yard line wtf

11 hours ago, XAEA12 said:

You can disagree it was a good draft but still agree with the premise. 

This is true. I like the 1st two picks on paper but you are correct, fans put way too much stock in drafts and assume it will immediately translate to improvement on the field.  I usually stop paying attention to the draft after round 3 as its unlikely any picks in later rounds will really amount to anything long term.