2021 NFL Draft - Titans Select CB Elijah Molden 3rd round, 100th Overall

Jonboy

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Defending the slot in today’s NFL is more important than it ever used to be. Since teams are basically all in 3 receiver sets their zone beaters and first downs makers are usually the fast shifty guys we struggled a lot to keep the 3rd down form being converted. Hopefully someone steps up becsuse king sucked and was a waste 

10 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Molden dropped because of his speed. It’s all about speed in the NFL nowadays. That was why they let their last 2 nickel backs walk.

Which isn’t to say he was a bad draft pick at 100. But his upside is limited. 

Yup. It's what's keeping me from getting to excited about the pick. On the plus side, there aren't that many speedy vertical slots in the AFC south.

45 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Yup. It's what's keeping me from getting to excited about the pick. On the plus side, there aren't that many speedy vertical slots in the AFC south.

We also have a safety that can help mitigate that if they use him correctly. 

1 hour ago, tgo said:

I'd add that even if he does have speed issues/defending the deep ball, if he helps out in defending the intermediate areas of the field that's still a win since we had horrible trouble with that area last year.

8 hours ago, tgo said:

I think he'll be really good in the underneath game and help out a ton on 3rd downs. I was only down on him when people were giving him 1st round hype. He isn't what I had in mind at the time but he was a great find in the 3rd. He will out-produce his draft slot.

On 5/3/2021 at 11:55 AM, tgo said:

For comparison to Molden's 4.58: 

Logan Ryan ran a 4.56

Desmond King ran a 4.60

Richard Sherman ran a 4.56

He'll be ok in the slot I think. 

I think so too. While speed matters, football speed is most important. And football speed isn't how you play with the weight of pads - it's making efficient, aggressive, and effective movement on the field. He has that in spades.

If Molden starts, it won't say much for Fulton who would be the #4 CB.

Bottom line, there can be no excuses for the CB group after using a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick in the last two drafts......plus signing an expensive free agent and another vet.

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I'd guess Molden will be the Titans slot corner in the nickel from day one. 

When the season started and Jackson played inside he was absolutely terrible, it forced the King trade. It's a huge upgrade.

I'm thinking Kevin Johnson will start, but Molden will get some playing time early on. Maybe he takes the LB slot in sub packages like vaccaro did. This staff really makes rookies earn playing time rather than just giving it to them due to draft slot.  He may take the nickel role by week 5 though if he develops well. 

1 hour ago, ctm said:

If Molden starts, it won't say much for Fulton who would be the #4 CB.

Bottom line, there can be no excuses for the CB group after using a 1st, 2nd and 3rd round pick in the last two drafts......plus signing an expensive free agent and another vet.

I think Fulton and Farley are going to make Johnson a potential surprise cut candidate.