Schefter: Aaron Rodgers Wants Out of Green Bay

1 minute ago, socaltitan said:

He's had Devante Adams, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, etc. Ok, none of those guys are Randy Moss but they certainly aren't scrubs. He's got Aaron Jones right now. He's got enough weapons. No one has all-pros across the board.

I disagree about the weapons argument too. You could argue coaching and maybe the team around him as a whole (the defense) has let him down.

The issue is that they haven't dedicated resources to providing him with multiple playmakers for several years now.

Things were fine early in his career.  Driver and Jennings were already on the team when Rodgers took over from Favre, and Nelson/Cobb were brought in shortly thereafter.  During those years that offense thrived.

When Driver and Jennings left, James Jones was a solid replacement to compliment Nelson and Adams and the offense was still great.  But they let Jones walk in free agency and never replaced him.  Meanwhile, Nelson starts getting hurt all the time and Cobb turns out to be nothing more than a gadget slot guy.

If you look at the past 4-5 seasons, he's basically had Adams and no one else.  In 2019 they had 2 first round picks and used both on defense, passing up guys like Deebo Samuel and Marquise Brown.  They even used their 2nd round pick on a center instead of taking AJ Brown.

Then in 2020 they use their first round pick to take a QB when they could have gone out and got him someone like Aiyuk, Higgins or Claypool.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thankfully this happened after and not before the Colts traded for Carson Wentz.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

GB has lots of talent around Rodgers. Just because they haven't spent 1st rounders on weapons doesn't mean they have a bunch of scrubs. 

Completely disagree when looking at the past 3 seasons.  He's had Adams and a bunch of scrubs.

Aaron Jones was a great find in the 5th round but he's not Marshall Faulk.

7 minutes ago, abenjami said:

The issue is that they haven't dedicated resources to providing him with multiple playmakers for several years now.

Things were fine early in his career.  Driver and Jennings were already on the team when Rodgers took over from Favre, and Nelson/Cobb were brought in shortly thereafter.  During those years that offense thrived.

When Driver and Jennings left, James Jones was a solid replacement to compliment Nelson and Adams and the offense was still great.  But they let Jones walk in free agency and never replaced him.  Meanwhile, Nelson starts getting hurt all the time and Cobb turns out to be nothing more than a gadget slot guy.

If you look at the past 4-5 seasons, he's basically had Adams and no one else.  In 2019 they had 2 first round picks and used both on defense, passing up guys like Deebo Samuel and Marquise Brown.  They even used their 2nd round pick on a center instead of taking AJ Brown.

Then in 2020 they use their first round pick to take a QB when they could have gone out and got him someone like Aiyuk, Higgins or Claypool.

AJ next to Adam’s would have been filthy. They win the SB last year with those two. 

4 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Completely disagree when looking at the past 3 seasons.  He's had Adams and a bunch of scrubs.

Aaron Jones was a great find in the 5th round but he's not Marshall Faulk.

His main receivers aside from Devante have been Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Equanimious St. Brown. Yeah total studs. When he did have good targets like Jordy Nelson and Cobb, their defense was trash. They just started investing in it when the signed the Smiths. Without Rodgers that team is complete ass. 

32 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

You, in your infinite ego made that up.  You took a molehill and pretended I was passing it off as a mountain.  

I also thought you were being disingenuous and took it as an attempt to smear Brees. Seemed pretty blatant to me.

If you had backed off earlier and said "my bad," this thread would be a couple pages shorter. But you dug in your heels and did the American "I refuse to admit I'm wrong" thing, so here y'all are...

So I guess the 80 balls per year they have been throwing to their backs under MLF don't count.  GB has gone 13-3 the last two years and made the NFCC both years.  They had the best scoring offense last year.  Offense/talent is not their issue.

3 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

So I guess the 80 balls per year they have been throwing to their backs under MLF don't count.  GB has gone 13-3 the last two years and made the NFCC both years.  They had the best scoring offense last year.  Offense/talent is not their issue.

It's pretty clear their defense is the bigger issue.  I think Rodgers point is that one way to overcome the lack of defense would be to outscore other playoff teams.  That offense has been nothing short of fantastic in the regular season but struggles against the better teams, and the constant dumping off to backs is due to the lack of quality receiving targets.

I don't know how much you have watched GB games the past few seasons but if you watch them consistently it's very easy to see why Rodgers has no confidence in guys like Valdez-Scantling, St. Brown and Lazard.

17 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

His main receivers aside from Devante have been Marquez Valdes-Scantling and Equanimious St. Brown. Yeah total studs. When he did have good targets like Jordy Nelson and Cobb, their defense was trash. They just started investing in it when the signed the Smiths. Without Rodgers that team is complete ass. 

Smith is a top 5 WR, Jones is arguably a top 5 RB when factoring in his receiving skills. The other two Rbs are good as well, Tonyan is a damn good TE, etc... Rodgers has weapons. you and others are acting like he played for the 2019 patriots the past few years.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Smith is a top 5 WR, Jones is arguably a top 5 RB when factoring in his receiving skills. The other two Rbs are good as well, Tonyan is a damn good TE, etc... Rodgers has weapons. you and others are acting like he played for the 2019 patriots the past few years.

Notice how you couldn't name what should be his primary passing targets aside from Adams. You know they are sub par. He has one elite receiver that teams can take away and then a running game that while good, isn't winning you games in the NFL. I'll give you that Tonyan was good, I forgot about him. I'm not saying his situation is as bad as Brady's in 2019 but it's not good enough to beat good teams with great defenses and it's for a lack of trying. You and I both know they could've done more to improve their receiver position. 2018 and 2019 were two of the best WR classes in recent history and they didn't come away with a single one. This year it's looking like more of the same so far but WR is deep so they may yet snag a good one. If you were in Rodgers's situation, you would be frustrated too and start to feel like you may never see another super bowl. 

8 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Who is Smith?  I assume you mean Adams.

I think Rodgers point some people are missing is the lack of resources being dedicated.  They lucked out with Aaron Jones in the 5th round.  Tonyan was a UDFA and it took him 3 years to finally get on the field.

Meanwhile last year they use their first and second round picks to draft a QB and another RB when they already had Aaron Jones and a stable of serviceable backs.

They've dedicated almost all of their resources to defense and it has been a total bust.  Go look at who they've drafted since taking Adams in 2014.  It's atrocious.

Edited by abenjami
5 minutes ago, abenjami said:

It's pretty clear their defense is the bigger issue.  I think Rodgers point is that one way to overcome the lack of defense would be to outscore other playoff teams.  That offense has been nothing short of fantastic in the regular season but struggles against the better teams, and the constant dumping off to backs is due to the lack of quality receiving targets.

I don't know how much you have watched GB games the past few seasons but if you watch them consistently it's very easy to see why Rodgers has no confidence in guys like Valdez-Scantling, St. Brown and Lazard.

I watch them some - not religiously of course - but the RB's in the passing game is by design as much as it is as dump offs because the receivers are bad.  And as for the WR's, Valdez-Scantling and Lazard are not Pro Bowlers but they are not awful either.  They combined for 66 catches for 1140 yards and 10 TD's opposite Adams.....If anything, MLF's offense has done a good job of spreading the ball around.

If you want to look at why GB lost in the playoffs the last two years, though, the defense could not stop the run against SF and just blew coverages against TB in some key spots and offensively they were controlled on the LOS in both NFCC games - pressuring Rodgers unlike what happened in the regular season games. 

2 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

I watch them some - not religiously of course - but the RB's in the passing game is by design as much as it is as dump offs because the receivers are bad.  And as for the WR's, Valdez-Scantling and Lazard are not Pro Bowlers but they are not awful either.  They combined for 66 catches for 1140 yards and 10 TD's opposite Adams.....If anything, MLF's offense has done a good job of spreading the ball around.

If you want to look at why GB lost in the playoffs the last two years, though, the defense could not stop the run against SF and just blew coverages against TB in some key spots and offensively they were controlled on the LOS in both NFCC games - pressuring Rodgers unlike what happened in the regular season games. 

The involvement of the RB's in the passing game is "by design" because of the lack of other receiving targets.  If they had better receiving targets, the design would focus on those more instead of the RB's.  LaFleur knows he has to use them because they are the cards in his hand.

How often did LaFleur design RB passes here in Tennessee?

5 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Notice how you couldn't name what should be his primary passing targets aside from Adams. You know they are sub par. He has one elite receiver that teams can take away and then a running game that while good, isn't winning you games in the NFL. I'll give you that Tonyan was good, I forgot about him. I'm not saying his situation is as bad as Brady's in 2019 but it's not good enough to beat good teams with great defenses and it's for a lack of trying. You and I both know they could've done more to improve their receiver position. 2018 and 2019 were two of the best WR classes in recent history and they didn't come away with a single one. This year it's looking like more of the same so far but WR is deep so they may yet snag a good one. If you were in Rodgers's situation, you would be frustrated too and start to feel like you may never see another super bowl. 

Adams was definitely not taken away very much at all last year if ever. he soaks up double coverages, still produces at a high level and allows the other guys to make plays. 

40+ point games - 4

30+ point games - 8

20+ games - 3

The truth is the packers were the best team in football last year except when they played the Bucs twice and that was largely due to the explosive out of this world offense. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-30 at 12.58.59 PM.png

6 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Who is Smith?  I assume you mean Adams.

I think Rodgers point some people are missing is the lack of resources being dedicated.  They lucked out with Aaron Jones in the 5th round.  Tonyan was a UDFA and it took him 3 years to finally get on the field.

Meanwhile last year they use their first and second round picks to draft a QB and another RB when they already had Aaron Jones and a stable of serviceable backs.

They've dedicated almost all of their resources to defense and it has been a total bust.  Go look at who they've drafted since taking Adams in 2014.  It's atrocious.

Well, look at their cap spending on offense.

2019 - 2nd most at QB, 19th at WR, 2nd at TE, 2nd on the OL......1st overall on offense

2020 - 10th at QB (Rodgers restructure), 12th at WR, 27th at TE, 3rd on the OL, 6th overall on offense.

Paying top dollar at QB and the OL usually means you try to economize at the skill spots.