Falcons Listening to Offers for Julio Jones

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GTFO with your rational stance and reality. I want to see Julio, AJ, and a time-machined, prime Jerry Rice lined up when the season starts.    Make it happen, JRob.

Can't pay him and Brown. I'll take Brown going into year 3 over a 32 year old Jones.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

How so? Davis was PFF's 10th best receiver last season while Reynolds was 83rd and they don't just consider volume stats. Sure, there may be some upside to Reynolds but this will be his 4th season and he's not a particularly great athlete so that upside is limited. Unless he's a complete bum (he isn't) this should be Reynold's most productive season but the questions are how impactful will he be and will it be enough? He'd have to improve dramatically to pick up the slack.

I like Reynolds and believe he will outperform his past production but this idea he's on Davis' level is absurd. Is Corey Davis AJ Brown? Of course not but he was a damn good WR last year who played himself into a good FA contract. Reynolds got a 1 year prove it deal for a reason.

10 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

How so? Davis was PFF's 10th best receiver last season while Reynolds was 83rd and they don't just consider volume stats. Sure, there may be some upside to Reynolds but this will be his 4th season and he's not a particularly great athlete so that upside is limited. Unless he's a complete bum (he isn't) this should be Reynold's most productive season but the questions are how impactful will he be and will it be enough? He'd have to improve dramatically to pick up the slack.

No doubt there's a real dropoff between Davis and Reynolds. But I think the drop off, in the context of how we use the Z receiver in this offense, is being overly estimated when it comes to the pass game. 

To me, the biggest issue is that Davis is a much better blocker than Reynolds. So that will be felt in the run game. 

Reynolds should be able to reasonably put up 700-800 yards of production given his skillset and ability level, and one would hope that AJB and Firkser both would see an uptick in pass game production, as well as the WR3 over Humphries' production last year. I don't think those expectations are unreasonable. 

Now *obviously* it would be ideal to get another legit receiver and TE in here, I hope it happens before the start of the season. 

2 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I like Reynolds and believe he will outperform his past production but this idea he's on Davis' level is absurd. Is Corey Davis AJ Brown? Of course not but he was a damn good WR last year who played himself into a good FA contract. Reynolds got a 1 year prove it deal for a reason.

He's clearly not on Davis' talent level, I don't think I've seen anyone say that. 

Edited by tgo
1 minute ago, oldschool said:

you and many others have been saying for days Davis won't be missed and that his production can easily be replaced by Reynolds since the Titans have Brown and Henry. 

That's a pretty hyperbolic take on what I've said. I've said it's being overrated in terms of what the W-L record will be. I've also said point blank there will be at least a 20% decrease in offensive production imo

I just find that to be an acceptable tradeoff for potentially improving the defensive production by 50-100%. 

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

No one will explicitly say it but when you say there will be little drop off, it is implied. 

There shouldn't be a ton (200 yards or so) of dropoff in terms of receiving production due to the offensive style, that's the point. 

I'm not saying that Reynolds is the same level of weapon that Davis was. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

you and many others have been saying for days Davis won't be missed and that his production can easily be replaced by Reynolds since the Titans have Brown and Henry. 

They also discredit Davis and imply that much of his production has nothing little to do with him and can be attributed to the scheme, Henry, and Brown. When you think that way it's logical to think that anyone else given a similar situation will do just as well but that isn't necessarily true.  The data doesn't say Davis was just riding on coattails, it say he played at a damn high level and really was more of a 1B than a #2 receiver. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

That's a pretty hyperbolic take on what I've said. I've said it's being overrated in terms of what the W-L record will be. I've also said point blank there will be at least a 20% decrease in offensive production imo

I just find that to be an acceptable tradeoff for potentially improving the defensive production by 50-100%. 

I hadn't heard the bolded from you but that seems reasonable. The defense would have to improve in quite a dramatic fashion to make up for a 20% reduction in overall offense wouldn't it? You really see that as realistic?

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

There shouldn't be a ton (200 yards or so) of dropoff in terms of receiving production due to the offensive style, that's the point. 

I'm not saying that Reynolds is the same level of weapon that Davis was. 

OK. But even 200 yards isn't chump change and given how those yards are distributed and which games they are missing in, it could make or break the season. We're not some juggernaut. If you swap Reynold for Davis in those 2 games the Brown missed last season we might not make the playoffs. They call it a game of inches for a reason. 

Just now, Mythos27 said:

They also discredit Davis and imply that much of his production has nothing little to do with him and can be attributed to the scheme, Henry, and Brown. When you think that way it's logical to think that anyone else given a similar situation will do just as well but that isn't necessarily true.  The data doesn't say Davis was just riding on coattails, it say he played at a damn high level and really was more of a 1B than a #2 receiver. 

Davis was distinctly a #2 receiver, not "1B" and will never be anything more than a number 2 receiver.