Falcons Listening to Offers for Julio Jones

Jonboy

Just now, tgo said:

He's clearly not on Davis' level, I don't think I've seen anyone say that. 

you and many others have been saying for days Davis won't be missed and that his production can easily be replaced by Reynolds since the Titans have Brown and Henry. 

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I kind of get sick of seeing people continue to say this.  His numbers would be fine in Tennessee.  It's not like they throw 10 times a game.  They've thrown enough to make A.J. Brown one of the best

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

He's clearly not on Davis' talent level, I don't think I've seen anyone say that. 

No one will explicitly say it but when you say there will be little drop off, it is implied. 

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

you and many others have been saying for days Davis won't be missed and that his production can easily be replaced by Reynolds since the Titans have Brown and Henry. 

That's a pretty hyperbolic take on what I've said. I've said it's being overrated in terms of what the W-L record will be. I've also said point blank there will be at least a 20% decrease in offensive production imo

I just find that to be an acceptable tradeoff for potentially improving the defensive production by 50-100%. 

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

No one will explicitly say it but when you say there will be little drop off, it is implied. 

There shouldn't be a ton (200 yards or so) of dropoff in terms of receiving production due to the offensive style, that's the point. 

I'm not saying that Reynolds is the same level of weapon that Davis was. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

They also discredit Davis and imply that much of his production has nothing little to do with him and can be attributed to the scheme, Henry, and Brown. When you think that way it's logical to think that anyone else given a similar situation will do just as well but that isn't necessarily true.  The data doesn't say Davis was just riding on coattails, it say he played at a damn high level and really was more of a 1B than a #2 receiver. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

That's a pretty hyperbolic take on what I've said. I've said it's being overrated in terms of what the W-L record will be. I've also said point blank there will be at least a 20% decrease in offensive production imo

I just find that to be an acceptable tradeoff for potentially improving the defensive production by 50-100%. 

I hadn't heard the bolded from you but that seems reasonable. The defense would have to improve in quite a dramatic fashion to make up for a 20% reduction in overall offense wouldn't it? You really see that as realistic?

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

We have to trade for a WR. 

I'm not sure Jrob agrees.... The Titans did't get anything out of WR3 and WR4 last year. If you look at the 2018 numbers it was more balanced but still pretty pedestrian. 

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.47.09 AM.png

2 minutes ago, tgo said:

There shouldn't be a ton (200 yards or so) of dropoff in terms of receiving production due to the offensive style, that's the point. 

I'm not saying that Reynolds is the same level of weapon that Davis was. 

OK. But even 200 yards isn't chump change and given how those yards are distributed and which games they are missing in, it could make or break the season. We're not some juggernaut. If you swap Reynold for Davis in those 2 games the Brown missed last season we might not make the playoffs. They call it a game of inches for a reason. 

Just now, Mythos27 said:

They also discredit Davis and imply that much of his production has nothing little to do with him and can be attributed to the scheme, Henry, and Brown. When you think that way it's logical to think that anyone else given a similar situation will do just as well but that isn't necessarily true.  The data doesn't say Davis was just riding on coattails, it say he played at a damn high level and really was more of a 1B than a #2 receiver. 

Davis was distinctly a #2 receiver, not "1B" and will never be anything more than a number 2 receiver. 

Yep. This is backed up by the fact anytime AJ was out Davis would step up and we didn’t miss a beat on offense. The guy is a legit top 20 WR. He goes for around 1150-1200 last year if it wasn’t for being out two games and his brother dying right before another one. 

36 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

This is the first I’ve heard of him. Solid pickup. He’s definitely got some upside with the way he’s a natural hands catcher.

Swaim isn’t an in-line guy and Pruitt has little to no upside. Like you said we’ll bring in a veteran one way or another, but I wouldn’t mind giving this kid a shot. 

Pinckney was great as a JR at Vandy when they had a good QB. Not an elite athlete but still a really good TE. Then as a SR they had no QB and he (and others) dropped off the face of the map.

I have high hopes for him as depth at least.

I hadn't heard the bolded from you but that seems reasonable. The defense would have to improve in quite a dramatic fashion to make up for a 20% reduction in overall offense wouldn't it? You really see that as realistic?

I not only see it as realistic, but likely. 

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Davis had 4 10+ targets last year, none of which were in the 2 games Brown missed, because he consistently got open. By now we should all agree the Titans aren't just going to feed a WR targets based on talent. Just look at Brown's targets if you don't believe me. This is not the GB offense where everything in the passing game goes through Adams.

• Jonboy locked this topic