Name Your Top 5 *Drafting* GMs Sans JRob

tgo

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just did a quick analysis on 3 guys from my list:    Drafted Since 2016   Mickey Loomis (Best Drafting GM in Football, IMO) :  All Pro/Pro Bowl: 4 Starter: 15  

Man this thread is wild. How can the same person simultaneously believe a GM should hang onto more picks and not trade up because they are stronger in mid rounds, but that their drafting of Henry wher

You seem to have no context regarding how often this happens in the NFL. You could use this argument to say any good drafting team misjudged player values: Alvin Kamara in the 3rd, Trey Hendrickson in

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, TitanTez said:

You are full of shit..

Just because I will not dance to the beat of your drum does not mean I'm checking out.

JRob built both those lines mostly by way of free agents and that money was mostly provided by Webster as I stated earlier...Now there is no gift horse of enormous cap money or cash cow of picks provided by others or head coach provided by others so he has to get untangled out of his on bull shit.

Do you think most fans expectations was a punk as divisional title and a one in done?...After going to a Conference title game?

GTFO with that bullshit.

We expected s superbowl run and no less.... O losing to a team that we previously beat and winning a down trotted division to just get our asses handed to is at home.

This shit means we are going backwards...But you guys are hell bent on proving a point.

Fuck your point..

Point it in your ass.

Once again, you dodge because you have no point. I see how mad you get when asked to defend a simple point. Just a little challenge and the curse words start flying. You know why you feel that rage? Because you're wrong and you know you can't defend your stance. The game was up when you admitted you don't know what a good GM looks like btw. 

7 minutes ago, rns90 said:

lol yeah Webster left a lot of OL around for JRob to build around.  Is that why Lewan is one of the few Ruston Webster picks left in the league.

Don't forget Webster also left him tons of cap space! Never mind that the cap space was there because the talent was so garbage no one was worth re-signing...

19 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Blah blah blah when you can’t even give the guy credit for drafting Henry your opinion shouldn’t be taken be seriously at all.

Did anyone notice that Arden Key was released yesterday?  He was drafted in the 3rd round in 2018 (same year as Landry).  If we hadn’t moved up for Landry we probably end up with some stiff like him.  So yeah, I would have no issues with moving up and giving up a 3rd and grabbing a solid EDGE player isn’t of ending up with some mediocre stiff by waiting.

Is it more likely that the Titans were lucky that Henry was still on the board at pick 2-45 (having chosen two other players at picks 2-33 and 2-43) or that J-Robb knew the entire league had him rated lower?

Does BPA rule the day or is it to draft for need? If it's BPA, we have to question what we were doing be cause Henry was far and away the better player of those three... and many taken  before?

If it's draft for need, I pointed out elsewhere that the only RBs on the roster were scrubs like Antonio Andrews and Bishop Sankey and an unknown quantity in DeMarcus Murry coming off a disappointing FA run in Philly and a knee injury. Sounds like RB could or should have been a priority also. Maybe it was?

Any approach you take, we grabbed those players in the wrong order.

Every GM missed on Henry, but we missed on him three times before sending in the card on our fourth opportunity.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so shrewd to have bypassed Henry so often.

2 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Couldn't even tag me that time. Slink away bud. It's all over now. 

You had him pegged correctly.  He couldn’t refute any of your points and resorted to cussing which you said he would and did.

8 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Is it more likely that the Titans were lucky that Henry was still on the board at pick 2-45 (having chosen two other players at picks 2-33 and 2-43) or that J-Robb knew the entire league had him rated lower?

Does BPA rule the day or is it to draft for need? If it's BPA, we have to question what we were doing be cause Henry was far and away the better player of those three... and many taken  before?

If it's draft for need, I pointed out elsewhere that the only RBs on the roster were scrubs like Antonio Andrews and Bishop Sankey and an unknown quantity in DeMarcus Murry coming off a disappointing FA run in Philly and a knee injury. Sounds like RB could or should have been a priority also. Maybe it was?

Any approach you take, we grabbed those players in the wrong order.

Every GM missed on Henry, but we missed on him three times before sending in the card on our fourth opportunity.

When you put it that way, it doesn't sound so shrewd to have bypassed Henry so often.

J-Rob is primarily a needs based drafter but he will make an exception in the case of a rare talent who happens to be available. You can't be too rigid one way or the other. Henry and to a degree Simmons were special talents that we didn't necessarily have a need for but were too good to pass up. The way I see those selections, he addressed the needs along the DL (which were many) and then took a special talent he suspected wouldn't see the field for a while. If anything that exercise should've taught him to shift more towards a BPA approach. You focus on his trade ups but to me, it's abundantly clear that J-Rob's best picks are the ones where he goes BPA and he's less effective when he's forcing a need pick. 

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

J-Rob is primarily a needs based drafter but he will make an exception in the case of a rare talent who happens to be available. You can't be too rigid one way or the other. Henry and to a degree Simmons were special talents that we didn't necessarily have a need for but were too good to pass up. The way I see those selections, he addressed the needs along the DL (which were many) and then took a special talent he suspected wouldn't see the field for a while. If anything that exercise should've taught him to shift more towards a BPA approach. You focus on his trade ups but to me, it's abundantly clear that J-Rob's best picks are the ones where he goes BPA and he's less effective when he's forcing a need pick. 

... like trading up expensive to target a RT need pick?!  ?

1 minute ago, charleytolar said:

... like trading up expensive to target a RT need pick?!  ?

Ehm I actually liked that one. Wish we would've held on to him. Now the other RT he picked in the 1st? Not so much.,,

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Ehm I actually liked that one. Wish we would've held on to him. Now the other RT he picked in the 1st? Not so much.,,

No doubt Conklin is a "nice" player and Wilson a disaster.

Do you have any comment on the fact that Conklin was the only first-team all-pro last year who took three premium draft picks to acquire?

I'm puzzled because every time I mention it, no one acknowledges how out of kilter that is. Oh, and he wasn't even our all-pro last  year...

1 minute ago, charleytolar said:

No doubt Conklin is a "nice" player and Wilson a disaster.

Do you have any comment on the fact that Conklin was the only first-team all-pro last year who took three premium draft picks to acquire?

I'm puzzled because every time I mention it, no one acknowledges how out of kilter that is. Oh, and he wasn't even our all-pro last  year...

I don't stress it mainly because statistically speaking the picks sacrificed to get him were overwhelmingly likely to be bums. I'd rather focus on the actual value he brought to a team that desperately needed him at the time than the purely hypothetical value of some picks that as I've said, were likely to do nothing for us.  I think we see Conklin differently as well. I think he's a total stud and massively underrated. Not an elite pass blocker mind you but really good and a devastating run blocker with underrated athleticism. 

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I don't stress it mainly because statistically speaking the picks sacrificed to get him were overwhelmingly likely to be bums. I'd rather focus on the actual value he brought to a team that desperately needed him at the time than the purely hypothetical value of some picks that as I've said, were likely to do nothing for us.  I think we see Conklin differently as well. I think he's a total stud and massively underrated. Not an elite pass blocker mind you but really good and a devastating run blocker with underrated athleticism. 

Bums really? 2nd and 3rd Round picks? Now you're making an anti-Robinson argument if you are not confident that he could have gotten someone of value-- at least one.

I'll just piss everyone off and remind them we could have stayed put and re-built our offensive line with Taylor Decker at 1-15. He may be no Conklin but he's started 70 out of 80 career games with the Lions since coming into the league. Better than what we are left with?

With our retained third-round pick, guess who was on the board? Joe Thuney who has been terrific in New England and just signed a FA contract with the Chiefs, I believe. As I recall, our penance for not staying put and having the opportunity to select Decker and Thuney was a series of FA guards and tackles until we came upon Saffold and the UNCC kid in a great third-round selection by J-Rob. Oh, and Isaiah Wilson!

With our back half of the 2nd Round pick in 2017 we gave up for Conklin there were a bunch of nice players who might have been ours: Zach Cunningham, OLB / Alvin Kamara, RB /  Ju-Ju Smith-Shuster, WR /  Cooper Kupp, WR. All were seemingly available when our original 2nd round pick was slotted and certainly all were available before we TRADED UP for Taywan Taylor with the 8th pick in the 3rd Round.

2 minutes ago, rns90 said:

And there it goes always returning to Conklin. 

Someone read that post on Conklin and tell me that Tolar isn’t nuts.

The best part is no one really disagrees with him that much. Robinson used too much capital for an RT. Still, Conklin was a hell of a player and in 2019 he earned himself a top contract. I bet Robinson wishes he had of paid him instead of those bums Beasley and Clowney, but then again he would still be on the books and our line would be the highest paid in the league. 

Either way, let it go Tolar!!