tgo

8 minutes ago, tgo said:

For the record, my top 5 GMs overall (not just drafting) are: 

1. Mickey Loomis

2. Kevin Colbert

3. Brett Veach

4. Jon Robinson

5. Jason Licht

I think Gutekunst, Roseman, Spielman, Snead, Ballard, Telesco, Schneider are also good GMs overall. There are a few maybes, but most of the rest are either totally unproven or garbage. 

I have a feeling Roseman, Spielman, Schneider, and Colbert (retirement) are nearing the end of the road in the next few years though. 

I do love what Berry is doing for the Browns as well but he’s only going into his second draft.

• Replies 521
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just did a quick analysis on 3 guys from my list:    Drafted Since 2016   Mickey Loomis (Best Drafting GM in Football, IMO) :  All Pro/Pro Bowl: 4 Starter: 15  

Man this thread is wild. How can the same person simultaneously believe a GM should hang onto more picks and not trade up because they are stronger in mid rounds, but that their drafting of Henry wher

You seem to have no context regarding how often this happens in the NFL. You could use this argument to say any good drafting team misjudged player values: Alvin Kamara in the 3rd, Trey Hendrickson in

Posted Images

1 hour ago, charleytolar said:

If you are really paying attention, my J-Rob criticisms are about his draft capital management not specific selections. I objected to the Conklin trade before and after his brief flirtation as an all-pro with the Titans. We paid slightly less than the Chiefs did for Mahomes. RTs are not QBs.

I can squirt out a list but I'm being honest I don't keep up with all the pre-draft and draft-days slides up and down the board for other teams so what would I say. I don't put much stock in any of these ratings. You would need a computer to crunch all the data and I doubt any here have access to that kind of brainpower.

Please forgive me for believing there has to be some type of measuring criteria used in deciding that a GM is making bad decisions.  Trading up/down is a tool used by some GMs, but to me the bottom line is results.  It has to be results.  

In 2017, KC traded up to get PM.  The Bears traded up to get MT.  The real bottom line is what else those franchises did.  There's a lot of jazz about 1st round picks, but the league and the HOF is made up of players drafted in every round, even un-drafted.  So, it comes down to who did you get more than when did you pick them or what you gave up to get them.

KC got Kareem Hunt.  Chicago got Eddie Jackson.  Then you look at the rosters KC vs Chi and it's more of the same, even worse.  It's not just the draft position, it's how the GM thinks a certain player fits as someone has already said.

IMO, the jury is still out on Evans.

3 hours ago, charleytolar said:

oldschool, too. Maybe others. Most don't comment because they don't want to be hassled (like this). I wasn't aware this was about joining the in-crowd...

Nope. You and tez are on a different level with this shit. My stance is jrob is a good not great gm who could grow into a top 5 GM. I simply take issue with the notion jrob is above reproach.

1 hour ago, titanskick8851 said:

Mine are pretty similar to those stated earlier. These are teams that really have either built long term winners or have are on the up and up.

Mickey Loomis - NO

Jason Licht - TB

Brett Veach - KC

Kevin Colbert - PIT

Brandon Beane - BUF

I think Robinson is definitely a top 10 GM and borderline top 5. He’s in the spot now where he has to keep the team competitive and winning with some higher paid players now on the roster. 

I'll concede top 10 but @tgo is being far too generous in giving jrob credit for guys like Conklin and Davis. The bottom line is 5 out of his first 6 1st rounders are going to be off the team this time next year with Simmons the lone exception.

5 minutes ago, abenjami said:

Make sure to tune in to Titans Report next week to find out which teams in the NFL have the top 5 janitorial services.

Obviously the Titans would be up there.  Tommie Campbell

passed on the skills on how to make the toilet bowl smell great and how to make the floor stunningly clean and shiny.

11 hours ago, tgo said:

@AussieTitanFan08

@titanskick8851 

You guys are draft guys, give us your top 5. 

@Jonboy

@OILERMAN

@IsntLifeFunny

@headhunter

@japan

I'll just say this. Robinson knows how to build a team and manage a roster among the best GMs. He moves on quickly from mistakes and he does a great job with trades and finding players that fit the team. 

@tgo has put forth an even stronger argument for J-Rob than I thought. We can pick apart his misses but it's clear that when it comes to hits he's among the elite in the league. This is why it's so important to evaluate guys compared to their peers rather than in a vacuum. Does anyone want to actually refute his argument point by point or should we just agree/concede that J-Rob is a top 5 drafting GM in the league? I haven't seen a strong counter point yet aside from his draft pick retention rate via second contracts which I'll remind you we haven't yet compared to his peers. 

10 hours ago, oldschool said:

Nope. You and tez are on a different level with this shit. My stance is jrob is a good not great gm who could grow into a top 5 GM. I simply take issue with the notion jrob is above reproach.

Twins-- you and me! I knew it. I'm aligned with @TitanTez even though he is harsher than I would be. I can live with that. Many here feel threatened by his strong opinions. Not me.

Edited by charleytolar

11 hours ago, Number9 said:

Please forgive me for believing there has to be some type of measuring criteria used in deciding that a GM is making bad decisions.  Trading up/down is a tool used by some GMs, but to me the bottom line is results.  It has to be results.  

Yes, and the criteria is have THAT GM's DECISIONS proved overall solid for the franchise. All of J-Rob's four trades-up have been MEH with the player targeted and HARMFUL with the price paid: 5 second- thru fourth-found selections in four trades in J-Rob's first three seasons when the roster was presumably weaker and we needed those selections. So we are grabbing UDFAs rather than premium picks to fill out the roster.

A greater percentage of the roster is going to be made up of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks than 1st. It's just math! In a decade, it's unlikely that you'll still have your ten first-round picks on the roster due to injuries or flame-outs. But your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders is a roster of 30. How many 2nd and 3rd rounders out-perform 1st rounders? We have some on our own team: Henry, AJB, Nate Davis, Byard...

37 minutes ago, charleytolar said:

Twins-- you and me! I knew it. I'm aligned with @TitanTez even though he is harsher than I would be. I can live with that. Many here feel threatened by his strong opinions. Not me.

You're siding with a dude who - most of the time - can't even type out a legible sentence.  The fact you think he is an intelligent poster baffles me.