Titans Hire Jim Schwartz as Senior Assistant

Just now, IsntLifeFunny said:

I don’t see anyone saying that. I do see people excited about the idea of actually letting our front four do their main job and get after the passer. It will lead to more draw plays/quick hitters inside and screens for big gains, but we sure as hell won’t have 17 (or whatever) sacks on the year if we institute some of his rush scheme. 

Also, Landry is perfect for a wide 9 scheme. I guarantee if he stays healthy and we institute the Wide 9 on a lot of passing downs he’ll have well over ten sacks. 

read the thread. @tgo and others specifically referenced this being a sign the defense will be more aggressive. at this point we have no idea whether Schwartz was brought on to implement the wide 9. I agree on landry, he is a perfect fit for the wide 9. I'm not sure Dupree is though...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Schwartz is a very smart guy who understands the league very well   It can only be a good thing imo

In Madden they don't have a senior assistant position.....

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, VaTitan said:

People knocking this hire are crazy.  It's not like he's the HC or even DC.  He's got a ton of experience and has coached some really good defenses...we are fortunate to have him advise our defensive brain trust. 

And I agree,I posted earlier he should've been defensive coordinator this coming season,

9 minutes ago, oldschool said:

read the thread. @tgo and others specifically referenced this being a sign the defense will be more aggressive. at this point we have no idea whether Schwartz was brought on to implement the wide 9. I agree on landry, he is a perfect fit for the wide 9. I'm not sure Dupree is though...

I don't think it's necessarily about the wide 9, but moreso about specific rush packages but all we can do is speculate. And Schwartz is a statistical savant and can make strategic recommendations about play calling on pass plays, etc. 

It sounds like he's only doing consulting a few days a week at this point, so I think his impact will be moreso tinkering and making recommendations than actual day-to-day coaching. 

Well - Kuharsky stands corrected. 

I guess he will be more involved now. I think he was probably consulting previously so that Vrabel could get to know him and such, and now has been added in an official capacity that will include meetings and on-field coaching. 

14 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I thought the same in regards to Dupree, but still a front four of Landry, Simmons, Autry, and Dupree in the Wide 9 with the two DT’s at the 3 tech on paper looks nasty. 

1 minute ago, Jonboy said:

Really like the move. He’s an outside voice who won’t be afraid to deliver hard truths when the staff needs to hear it. 

This is a biggest value to the team in my opinion. It also sets up perfectly if the defense craters under Bowen again which is very well might. It also gives the Titans a potential stop gap at HC if Vrabel gets axed after this year. remember coaches don't usually go into their final year as lame ducks contract wise. if the Titans have a poor season in 2021, vrabel might not get that extension heading into 2022.

There should be nothing to complain about here. Schwartz is a seasoned DC who is well respected around the league. Idk how anyone could find a bad thing with having a guy with his resume in the building helping out. 

1 hour ago, tgo said:

Well - Kuharsky stands corrected. 

I guess he will be more involved now. I think he was probably consulting previously so that Vrabel could get to know him and such, and now has been added in an official capacity that will include meetings and on-field coaching. 

9 times out of 10 Kuharsky is wrong

17 hours ago, oldschool said:

I swear some if you must not remember the complaints about Schwartz and his passive schemes when he was the Titans DC.

Exactly!!! He had a great D in 08 because of Albert Hayneswortth. Without him Scwartz is VERY average but still a step above Vrabel and Bowen