Titans Hire Jim Schwartz as Senior Assistant

tgo

On 4/8/2021 at 1:10 PM, BudsOilers said:

The Titans already run a hybrid defense.  Typically, the base 3-4 is only run 20% of the time.  Most of their snaps are in nickel.  This is the case league wide as well.....

Cmon man I usually refer to you as one of the few posters here with actual knowledge. A hybrid defense doesnt mean you run different formations which has been done for eternity. Hybrid defenses are the types that can change fronts fluidly. It requires some sort of pivot player (which Dupree could easily be one). No we have not been running a hybrid defense. 

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Schwartz is a very smart guy who understands the league very well   It can only be a good thing imo

In Madden they don't have a senior assistant position.....

Posted Images

I think it all depends and how you use the term hybrid. Certainly they did change up front from time to time when Clowney was in the lineup because he’s a versatile type player. Not as much with others aside from playing the Ravens to defend Lamar.

it’s thrown around IMO as a buzz word but the fact remains that the vast majority of snaps on a defense in today’s world is in nickel where the Titans use their OLB’s on the edge.  

On 4/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, BudsOilers said:

The Titans already run a hybrid defense.  Typically, the base 3-4 is only run 20% of the time.  Most of their snaps are in nickel.  This is the case league wide as well.....

Exactly. We run Nickel more than most in the league. Vast majority of snaps, which is exactly why I've been so adamant for the last two years that we need a true NB. It's not a development position or specialty position if you're in Nickel 70+% of the time. 

We were so much better with Logan Ryan at NB. It really freed up the safeties to play loose.

10 hours ago, BudsOilers said:

I think it all depends and how you use the term hybrid. Certainly they did change up front from time to time when Clowney was in the lineup because he’s a versatile type player. Not as much with others aside from playing the Ravens to defend Lamar.

it’s thrown around IMO as a buzz word but the fact remains that the vast majority of snaps on a defense in today’s world is in nickel where the Titans use their OLB’s on the edge.  

I didnt see Clowney changing places very much at all. And even if we are using Nickel more often, there is nothing stopping us from moving players between OLB/DE.  It would be nice to have someone who could move around in the secondary between CB/Safety as well. 

Idk I guess I always admired the way Rex Ryan moved Suggs, and Adalius Thomas around. It was fun to watch and very effective. 

I don't think we run nickel more than anyone else - it's a league wide deal and obviously the Titans have OLB's that can play DE in the 4 man and 3-4 DE's/NT that can play DT in the 4 man line.  There were times they did some bear front stuff or brought an extra LB or DB up too.

Bottom line is that the NFL primarily is a 11 base team on offense and a 4-2-5 on defense more than any other combo.  The teams that can rush consistently with 4 seem to fare better - at least against good passing offenses.

Honestly, I bet the conversation went like this between Vrabes and Schwartz:

"I just need someone to mentor Bowen so I can focus on being a head coach. We don't need you to draw up a playbook or call plays or redesign anything. Just help him out."

He tried to get Pees to do it last year, and Pees wasn't interested in "consulting."