Real cameras will be nearly obsolete in 15 years. It'll just be niche things that keep them around line the grain/look of analog... then again I'm sure there's some filters that will pop up and make it almost  impossible to tell

13 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Real cameras will be nearly obsolete in 15 years. It'll just be niche things that keep them around line the grain/look of analog... then again I'm sure there's some filters that will pop up and make it almost  impossible to tell

Already is lol.

20 minutes ago, NFL2K5 said:

Already is lol.

For the average person yeah. But full on photographers? Not yet. Will just be pro lenses you attach to the phone

10 minutes ago, titanruss said:

For the average person yeah. But full on photographers? Not yet. Will just be pro lenses you attach to the phone

He was talking about filters. And I was saying there are already filters capable of what he was talking about lol. If you're a professional photographer and you still want to use a camera that gives it that old vintage grainy look, cool..but there happens to be filters that also do that.

Edited by NFL2K5
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, titanruss said:

I have a lot of light pollution in my area, so it came out better than I expected.  Here is one I took at front of my house where there is a street light and my neighbor has two fairly bright lamps.  I was between my neighbor's lit lamp posts and the street light and cars were going by during this 30 second exposure. I turned the ISO down to 80, lowest setting my phone will do and it blocked the light sources around me.

pk9qgt53ulr61.jpg?width=4000&format=pjpg

Edited by 9 Nines
Posted (edited)

I have same phone as in this video.  This astrophotographer opines that the S21U is almost on par with good DSLR cameras. I would probably have to drive 400 miles to get to a dark enough place to attempt any like these. Note the trick on this phone is its sensor pixels are a little smaller than Apple's but Apple does no pixel binding as far as I understand, where the Samsung throws a huge 108 megapixel sensor that binds 4 pixel into one for low light settings, giving it a more normal size overall night sensor if just count bound pixels but with about 3 times the light capture capacity, and you have flexibility to use the full sensor unbound in daylight. 

Edited by 9 Nines

@NFL2K5 it shows up when you are doing really large prints, or when you need to crop and zoom.  1080p is fine for exactly the right shot viewed on a screen.   It's not good enough if you need to crop afterwards, or display somewhere besides on a screen.

There's also depth of field effects that a small aperture and more light.   Those get easier with a bigger sensor.

From an every day person pov, I agree cellphones are great.  I haven't rushed out to get more professional equipment.  But there are circumstances where I would, no question.

This video is a fair comparison

It's definitely close and an impressive performance by the phone.

When I'm doing a photoshoot, I want as many options as possible in post production.  I don't want to depend on my phone pulling off the shot and filtering using their defaults.  But I haven't done a photoshoot in long time.

Some of the comments are also insightful.  Delivery format matters:

At first i watched this video on my phone and thought why the hell am i not able to see to any difference what so ever; then i slapped myself after watching it on the TV.

All that said, I think lots of people spent too much on cameras in the past without ever making much use of them.  If you want great photographs, the first thing to purchase is a lighting kit.