Jets trade Sam Darnold to the Panthers

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Same thing that always seems to happen.

A 2nd round pick 2 drafts out is absolutely a steal for that type of flyer. I don't care if he doesn't pan out, that value is a no brainer.

☝️☝️☝️☝️ Well that's it folks. Darnold is headed to the HOF. We can end this thread now

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Why give up anything for a QB who is at best middling and at present garbage? 

Seems like a shot in the dark. 

I think he has the talent to be better than middling.  Clearly Carolina thinks so as well.  His upside is certainly better than anyone on the roster, that’s for sure.

If it doesn’t work then they can take a QB next year.  Yes, they would have lost the draft picks but if you like a QB it’s certainly worth a shot.

It's a gamble but the chances of Darnold becoming something at 23 as opposed to Bridgewater are far greater and as pointed out, they are not tied into him long term if it doesn't pan out.

The stench of Gase and Loggains is pretty bad too.  Especially after Tannehill thrived after leaving them,

The biggest takeaway to me as a Titans fan is what a bargain they got in Tannehill.  Yes, I know that they got him as a backup whereas Darnold is projected to start but the Titans I would assume at least would gladly give up what the Panthers are giving up if they had to do it again for Tannehill.  The Panthers would be thrilled if Darnold turned out even close to as good as Tannehill is.  And the Titans only had to give up a 4th round pick for him.

Can you imagine what Tannehill would go for if he was available today?

Edited by scine09

1 minute ago, scine09 said:

The Panthers would be thrilled if Darnold turned out even close to as good as Tannehill is.  

Imo, this will never happen. 

The Titans totally lucked out and won the lottery with the Tannehill trade. It's the single most unexpected/best thing to ever happen to this franchise since moving to Tennessee. 

Edited by tgo

It actually was Tannehill and a 2019 6th rounder in exchange for a 2019 7th rounder and 2020 4th rounder.  Of course, the difference is that the Titans were trading for him to backup dumb dumb and Carolina, right or wrong, is trading for Darnold to be their starter.

15 minutes ago, tgo said:

Imo, this will never happen. 

The Titans totally lucked out and won the lottery with the Tannehill trade. It's the single most unexpected/best thing to ever happen to this franchise since moving to Tennessee. 

Well no one certainly saw this coming.  What if Darnold plays up to the potential he showed glimpses of at times?  Then the Panthers got a steal.  And if not?  They lost a 2nd round pick, a mid round pick and a late pick.

Teams aren’t waiting around for high draft picks to pan out. That’s things of old. Teams are giving up on guys now faster than ever and aren’t waiting for them to pan out anymore. 

1 hour ago, tgo said:

Why give up anything for a QB who is at best middling and at present garbage? 

Because they need a QB?

ive seen some speculation Rhule liked Darnold coming out of HS. I don’t know if Baylor tried to recruit him

The big mistake CAR made was last year foolishly thinking Teddy was a franchise QB. Justin Herbert went one pick ahead of them. They’ll never admit it, but they have to regret not trying to trade up ahead of MIA and LAC who picked 5 and 6

I've never been a big darnold fan but why can't he be somewhere near Ryan Tannehill?  He has just as much talent and was similarly fucked over by a clueless organization and even worse head coach. QB is so valuable that you have to take shots like this even if they are remote. The only reason you wouldn't do this is if you have a clear shot at a better QB and Carolina clearly didn't so why not? Even if it doesn't work, I like the approach and would hope we do the same with Ryan is done.

21 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

I've never been a big darnold fan but why can't he be somewhere near Ryan Tannehill?  He has just as much talent and was similarly fucked over by a clueless organization and even worse head coach.

Tannehill averaged 4000 yards and 25 TDs during his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th seasons in Miami. Darnold hasn’t come close to that once.

21 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

QB is so valuable that you have to take shots like this even if they are remote. The only reason you wouldn't do this is if you have a clear shot at a better QB and Carolina clearly didn't so why not? Even if it doesn't work, I like the approach and would hope we do the same with Ryan is done.

I understand why Carolina is rolling the dice on Darnold. And maybe he will improve away from Gase. But the only reason it makes any sense is that Carolina has no better options and it was cheap for a QB.