Harris to Take Lead on Working with Central America on Border Issues

tgo

• Replies 332
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, it's a highly contagious respiratory illness. Those are usually GLOBAL.    Here, I'll help you out.   

I think it's good to point these things out and to hold Biden accountable for getting things fixed.   One notable difference is that the cruelty was the point with Trump. It was meant to fun

I like T279, but he’s out in left field with what’s happening with immigration and the Cuomo saga.    Of course when you keep people caged in Mexico and release them they’re going to come north

Posted Images

20 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

Putting her in charge of immigration/the border seems like a good way to make conservatives and liberals hate Harris

Not if she actually makes notable progress. I was reading that Biden was tasked with the same issue as VP. 

2 hours ago, tgo said:

Not if she actually makes notable progress. I was reading that Biden was tasked with the same issue as VP. 

I don't think it was ever as bad as it is now under Obama and it's even more of a high profile topic now

Edited by Titans279

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

and is setting up Kamala to fail miserably...

I'll somewhat agree with this sentiment.  So much of a No Win situation for her that he's basically setting up future hurdles for her higher office aspirations.  

Bet she was like WTF Joe?!?

Now if she can work it out - similar to a minor Peace in the Middle East situation - she's riding high.

Basically the difference in going for the title belt before you might be ready vs coasting over chumps (Healthy Kids in Schools! and other First Lady tasks) for a high win count on a weak record.

2 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What a joke.  Assign a person who wants open borders to fix the border problem. Joe is demented, stupid, incompetent, or sneaky smart and is setting up Kamala to fail miserably...

He should have gotten Kushner to do it.  Or maybe Hunter.....  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2021/03/23/theres-no-migrant-surge-us-southern-border-heres-data/?utm_source=digg

We looked at data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection to see whether there’s a “crisis” — or even a “surge,” as many news outlets have characterized it. We analyzed monthly CBP data from 2012 to now and found no crisis or surge that can be attributed to Biden administration policies. Rather, the current increase in apprehensions fits a predictable pattern of seasonal changes in undocumented immigration combined with a backlog of demand because of 2020’s coronavirus border closure.

But as you can see, the CBP’s numbers reveal that undocumented immigration is seasonal, shifting upward this time of year. During fiscal year 2019, under the Trump administration, total apprehensions increased 31 percent during the same period, a bigger jump than we’re seeing now. We’re comparing fiscal year 2021 to 2019 because the pandemic changed the pattern in 2020. In 2018, the increase is about 25 percent from February to March — somewhat smaller but still pronounced.

But was 2019 an aberration? In the figure below, we combine data from fiscal year 2012 to fiscal year 2020 to show the cumulative total number of apprehensions for each month over these eight years. As you can see, migrants start coming when winter ends and the weather gets a bit warmer. We see a regular increase not just from January to February, but from February to March, March to April, and April to May — and then a sharp drop-off, as migrants stop coming in the hotter summer months when the desert is deadly. That means we should expect decreases from May to June and June to July.

What we’re seeing, in other words, isn’t a surge or crisis, but a predictable seasonal shift. When the numbers drop again in June and July, policymakers may be tempted to claim that their deterrence policies succeeded. But that will just be the usual seasonal drop.

A 28% increase over 2019 that is leading to them having to build up a ton of capacity isn't a big deal?

You can see from his chart (second img) that it's way ahead of what it was in 2019 at this point.

Kind of sus that he wouldn't just show all the years. You can see that in this first img.

Apprehensions are already up to the highest in more than a decade. Yes, it's seasonal but it's way up. Hence, it's a problem.

I think in the early 2000's that most of the people were not claiming asylum or unaccompanied minors which is what's causing the problem now. We can't just catch these people and send them back to Mexico.

5YJGOSEDQFA6VOF5RZFRKX52NU.png&w=916