• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did the Patriots hire Kyle?

Please, Titans...    

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Nash said:

Changing the focus of our defense from bend don't break and turnovers to now pressuring the qb with press coverage by the db's is a major philosophical change..IMO, it requires better physical linemen and average, but younger corners..  it will be very interesting to see if the plan is to go dl or Edge early in the draft, and cb a little later..

I keep seeing this stated on the board and it makes no sense. Butler was a man corner, Fulton was a man corner at LSU, and Jackson was drafted high for the same reasons. Also should I bring up last year when the Titans signed Beasley and Clowney to rush the passer? There is absolutely no evidence the Titans are changing their defensive philosophy. They have the same defensive staff and most importantly Vrabel. They are also going after former Vrabel guys like K Johnson. Until we see a more aggressive defense on the field all this talk about a scheme switch is just wishful thinking.

Edited by oldschool
3 hours ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Butler was very good last year but Jenkins is: A better scheme fit, Had an equally good year, and is a fraction of the cost. It's a no brainer

The Titans current scheme of playing off the ball coverage is way more suited to Butler's overall skill set as he can play both man and zone. This was about money period. Jenkins is a downgrade.

Butler really should transition to the nickel. With how physical he is, how well he tackles, and how well he competes on underneath routes I think it's a natural fit that would extend his career. His change of direction ability isn't a limiting factor like it is for a lot of other corners. 

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

The Titans current scheme of playing off the ball coverage is way more suited to Butler's overall skill set as he can play both man and zone. This was about money period. Jenkins is a downgrade.

There was a clear shift at the end of the year to more press man stuff. It was talked about ad nauseum here. I presume that's what they're going with going forward

12 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

There was a clear shift at the end of the year to more press man stuff. It was talked about ad nauseum here. I presume that's what they're going with going forward

I keep seeing this repeated over and over again. The Titans have always mixed it up. They were roasted in both man and zone all year. Show me the quotes from Vrabel. All I see right now is wishful thinking from fans who are desperate for the defense to be better.

13 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

They briefly went to it and then inexplicably went back to the annoying off-man. I was banging that drum harder/longer than anyone. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I keep seeing this repeated over and over again. The Titans have always mixed it up. They were roasted in both man and zone all year. Show me the quotes from Vrabel. All I see right now is wishful thinking from fans who are desperate for the defense to be better.

Your statement that Butler was a good fit for the off man scheme is correct. It is also likely why they moved on despite him being their best defender last year. They could've cut Saffold. What I saw was the defense try to play more press stuff as they got guys healthier and they added King. There was way more towards the end of the year. I don't know for certain but you can make a pretty educated guess that's where they're headed

2 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Your statement that Butler was a good fit for the off man scheme is correct. It is also likely why they moved on despite him being their best defender last year. They could've cut Saffold. What I saw was the defense try to play more press stuff as they got guys healthier and they added King. There was way more towards the end of the year. I don't know for certain but you can make a pretty educated guess that's where they're headed

They did roll in some wrinkles the last month of the season but this notion of a radical shift is puzzling to me. We bitched about the off man coverage, 3rd and long conversions, lack of a pass rush, etc... on this board the entire year. They didn't flip this switch some of you claim. I also call bullshit on them shifting gears philosophically on Cornerback. As I said before, Butler was acquired because he could play man, Jackson was drafted because his skill set theoretically lends itself to man, and Fulton was absolutely a man coverage CB at LSU. They aren't shifting gears on what they want out of Cornerback, They are simply overhauling the position based on money (Butler), age (Butler), and performance (Jackson) factors. I don't have any issues moving on from Butler and Jackson, its the fact Jrob chose to do so in the same offseason. I'm also not a fan of Jenkins at all. I've watched him get burned as a Giant and a Saint for years. He will get INTs though so thats a positive. 

Its not secret my biggest issue with the defense is the staff. Vrabel was a terrible Coordinator and his hanger on buddy Bowen is even worse. I haven't seen anything out of Vrabel the past 3 years that shows he has the ability to self reflect and alter his approach. We've actually seen the exact opposite. I would love to be wrong and see this abortion of a passive defense go the way of the dodo bird. I have my doubts it will actually happen.

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

They did roll in some wrinkles the last month of the season but this notion of a radical shift is puzzling to me. We bitched about the off man coverage, 3rd and long conversions, lack of a pass rush, etc... on this board the entire year. They didn't flip this switch some of you claim. I also call bullshit on them shifting gears philosophically on Cornerback. As I said before, Butler was acquired because he could play man, Jackson was drafted because his skill set theoretically lends itself to man, and Fulton was absolutely a man coverage CB at LSU. They aren't shifting gears on what they want out of Cornerback, They are simply overhauling the position based on money (Butler), age (Butler), and performance (Jackson) factors. I don't have any issues moving on from Butler and Jackson, its the fact Jrob chose to do so in the same offseason. I'm also not a fan of Jenkins at all. I've watched him get burned as a Giant and a Saint for years. He will get INTs though so thats a positive. 

Its not secret my biggest issue with the defense is the staff. Vrabel was a terrible Coordinator and his hanger on buddy Bowen is even worse. I haven't seen anything out of Vrabel the past 3 years that shows he has the ability to self reflect and alter his approach. We've actually seen the exact opposite. I would love to be wrong and see this abortion of a passive defense go the way of the dodo bird. I have my doubts it will actually happen.

That is a good post and fair enough. I guess the coaches have zero built up credit to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm fine with completely blowing up the defense but there better be some serious self scouting from the coaches and it starts with Vrabel

1 hour ago, IrishTitansFan said:

That is a good post and fair enough. I guess the coaches have zero built up credit to give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm fine with completely blowing up the defense but there better be some serious self scouting from the coaches and it starts with Vrabel

I'd love to have that belief again too but save for the generic "we gotta coach better" lip service Vrabel throws out there every once in a while there is no indication IMO that we're changing the defensive philosophy. To me retaining Bowen and then throwing big money at a power Edge like Dupree indicates that we are doubling down on the same schematic principles just with what the staff considers to be better players. If we fail again this year there can be no doubt that this scheme just isn't going to work here against good passers. Sure, you can mush rush mediocre passers like Lamar Jackson and have success but good QBs will eat you up without adequate pressure/sacks. 

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

First time I've seen "Buddy Bowen." 🤣

That needs to be his TR nickname from now on.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic