2021 NFL Free Agency: Official Agreements and Signings

titanskick8851

30 minutes ago, tgo said:

His dead cap hit here is over 4M, so that would be 10M on the books for him at that rate. And that would have been him taking basically a 50% salary cut - and he's a prideful guy - would never have done that. 

They wanted to get faster too at CB.  Jenkins + highly drafted rookie + Fulton gives them that

• Replies 830
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did the Patriots hire Kyle?

Please, Titans...    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tgo said:

His dead cap hit here is over 4M, so that would be 10M on the books for him at that rate. And that would have been him taking basically a 50% salary cut - and he's a prideful guy - would never have done that. 

Right. Everyone assumes that the guy we just cut is going to take the same exact deal with the team that just cut him. That’s pretty rare. 

30 minutes ago, japan said:

Right. Everyone assumes that the guy we just cut is going to take the same exact deal with the team that just cut him. That’s pretty rare. 

There can be a degree of resentment and locker room angst with guys who return after being asked to take a significant pay cut.

1 hour ago, tgo said:

did they even try? dude was the only guy on defense that actually played at a high level and thats even more impressive when you consider the scheme and pass rush.

3 minutes ago, oldschool said:

did they even try? dude was the only guy on defense that actually played at a high level and thats even more impressive when you consider the scheme and pass rush.

I think it would be pretty insulting to ask him to take a 50% pay cut after playing well last season. I doubt they even approached him about a pay cut. Usually the only players who take pay cuts are declining older players being relegated to depth or marginal guys who would struggle majorly to find a new home in FA

Edited by tgo

19 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think it would be pretty insulting to ask him to take a 50% pay cut after playing well last season. I doubt they even approached him about a pay cut. Usually the only players who take pay cuts are declining older players being relegated to depth or marginal guys who would struggle majorly to find a new home in FA

If the plan was to jettison Jackson it makes no sense to not approach Butler and have a conversation about it. I don't have an issue with the Titans deciding to move on from Butler based on his salary. I don't have an issue with dumping Jackson either. what I have an issue with is dumping both in the same offseason.

6 minutes ago, tgo said:

If they didn't approach him about taking a paycut then JRob is worse than I thought...especially when he probably knew he was getting ready to cut Adoree. I don't really get the "taking offense" angle. Don't get me wrong, I've heard it plenty of times before, but it doesn't add up to me. There's a way to handle that while still being respectful of the player.

Would a guy really rather hear "you're done and we don't want  you anymore" VS "look, you played really well for us this year and we'd love to have you back. But it's going to be difficult to do with our salary situation. Would you be open to a pay cut to stay?"  The latter seems more preferable to me. It's not like they'd start negotiations with some lowball offer and say take it or leave it.

Who knows, maybe they did approach him and ask, and he said no thank, I'll take my chances in FA. If so? Fine. But to not even try just seems ridiculous to me.

There's still a lot of time this offseason, but as of now, JRob has completely botched this CB situation. He clearly could have gotten Butler for a lower price tag (exact numbers are certainly up for debate). Then he parted with Adoree, but didn't even attempt to trade him (that we know of).

To add to that, Adoree's cap hit this year with NYG is only like $5.8 million per PK. So our 2 CBs that we were scheduled to count around $20 million against our cap in 2021, were both signed elsewhere and have a combined cap hit of around $12million...and we get nothing in return for either of them. As of right now, we've significantly downgraded at that position.

JRob needs Fulton to take a massive leave forward, hit on a CB in the draft, or make a big trade to salvage this...maybe even 2 of those 3 honestly.

4 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

If they didn't approach him about taking a paycut then JRob is worse than I thought...especially when he probably knew he was getting ready to cut Adoree. I don't really get the "taking offense" angle. Don't get me wrong, I've heard it plenty of times before, but it doesn't add up to me. There's a way to handle that while still being respectful of the player.

Would a guy really rather hear "you're done and we don't want  you anymore" VS "look, you played really well for us this year and we'd love to have you back. But it's going to be difficult to do with our salary situation. Would you be open to a pay cut to stay?"  The latter seems more preferable to me. It's not like they'd start negotiations with some lowball offer and say take it or leave it.

Who knows, maybe they did approach him and ask, and he said no thank, I'll take my chances in FA. If so? Fine. But to not even try just seems ridiculous to me.

There's still a lot of time this offseason, but as of now, JRob has completely botched this CB situation. He clearly could have gotten Butler for a lower price tag (exact numbers are certainly up for debate). Then he parted with Adoree, but didn't even attempt to trade him (that we know of).

To add to that, Adoree's cap hit this year with NYG is only like $5.8 million per PK. So our 2 CBs that we were scheduled to count around $20 million against our cap in 2021, were both signed elsewhere and have a combined cap hit of around $12million...and we get nothing in return for either of them. As of right now, we've significantly downgraded at that position.

JRob needs Fulton to take a massive leave forward, hit on a CB in the draft, or make a big trade to salvage this...maybe even 2 of those 3 honestly.

Not to mention he's only making 6M vs the 10M he would have made with the Titans in 2021. So in essence he was taking his paycut either way.

10 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

There's still a lot of time this offseason, but as of now, JRob has completely botched this CB situation. He clearly could have gotten Butler for a lower price tag (exact numbers are certainly up for debate). 

That's a huge assumption, and one that I disagree with in terms of locker room politics. 

Plus, I think they are switching to a pure man scheme. Butler is more of a jack of all trades type corner and is slowing down. 

As far as Adoree, why would anyone trade for him when they could use monetary resources instead of draft resources to acquire him, knowing the Titans would have to cut him or extend him which they weren't going to do. And for all we know, Robinson did try to trade him. If he tried to trade Wilson, then I'm sure he tried to trade Jackson. 

Robinson really exceeded my expectations for cutting bait on mistakes and going hard after his top rated pass rusher instead of going back for a Clowney redux. I think the offseason has been aggressive and well executed in terms of filling key spots to get the team over the hump. 

As far as downgrading at corner....how can you really downgrade on the abortion of a secondary that was last year? It's an absolute lock to be better with this group and likely a rookie corner than it was last year. 

Look at the players that have been added in exchange for the 20 million saved by cutting those two corners. It's not only a worthy tradeoff but an absolutely necessary one. 

I thought they'd cut Saffold instead, but they cut Adoree. One of those two had to go to make the FA strategy work. 

Edited by tgo

Btw, to add to that - Robinson always makes a head scratching move every year. That move this year is Kevin Johnson, imo

Cutting the two corners at least makes sense when you look at the FA strategy overall. They wouldn't have been able to make the moves they did to improve the front without cutting both corners or cutting Saffold + one corner, that's just the math. 

They had cap flexibility and they utilized it optimally. I do think they'll need to restructure Tannehill to sign the draft class though. 

Edited by tgo

5 minutes ago, tgo said:

Btw, to add to that - Robinson always makes a head scratching move every year. That move this year is Kevin Johnson, imo

Cutting the two corners at least makes sense when you look at the FA strategy overall. They wouldn't have been able to make the moves they did to improve the front without cutting both corners or cutting Saffold, that's just the math. 

They had cap flexibility and they utilized it optimally. I do think they'll need to restructure Tannehill to sign the draft class though. 

Johnson is a Vrabel guy.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic