Jayon Brown the Root of Communication Issue on Defense?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Draft Zaven Collins.....problem solved.

I discussed it before, but with all the allusion to communication issues, it has to have been one of the LBers at the root of it, maybe along with Byard learning a new defense as he was making the sec

Brown is a good linebacker, but the communication issues were evident from day one. No one stepped up in all three tiers where we lost our leadership with Casey on the line, Woodyard with the LBs, and

18 hours ago, tgo said:

DLB said he was the smartest safety he ever vetted in college on the white board and was on par with Polamalu in terms of intelligence. Said he was extremely impressive with his knowledge of football and ability to grasp concepts. 

It’s actually his biggest asset - it’s not like he’s the most athletic or rangy safety out there, but he’s likely top 3 in terms of intelligence, alongside Devin McCourty. 

A coach of a team that picked him said he was smart.  Wow.  Scott Frost said Mariota was the smartest player he'd ever been around too. 

Again, I'm not saying Byard isn't intelligent but once again the secondary communication was a disaster last year and he objectively played poorly - certainly in the context of his contract and expectations.  Now, it's certainly possible that the other players in the secondary were the retards and not him but he sure did fail to execute when given the opportunity over and over and over.

While you're entitled to your subjective opinion, I sincerely doubt you know anything close to enough information or watch other teams to deduct that he's top 3 in intelligence in terms of safeties.  He's shown to be smart enough and I do think you downplay his athletic ability and most importantly his ball skills.  He almost always catches it when the ball is in his hands which is why he got so many interceptions early on.

In terms of the OP, LOL from anyone buying insider info from Buck Reising.  This sounds far more like fan boy spite because the expectation is that Brown is leaving in FA

Buck Reising is a goddamn hack. Jayon only played 10 games last year. 

Vrabel's defense requires rotations. We didn't have any. Corners were taxed. The linebackers were taxed. The entire defense needs a lift. 

In the mock drafts that I've done, I've mainly drafted defense -- usually Jabril Cox or Zaven Collins. 

On 3/6/2021 at 11:27 AM, tgo said:

Random thought re FA: what if when Robinson said he was trying to bring back a couple of our guys, one of them is either Da’Quan Jones or Desmond King on the cheap. I doubt this - most likely it’s 2 of the big 3, but who knows. 

I guess we will find out soon enough. 

Desmond King makes a ton of sense to resign. For one, it seems like the league just hasn’t caught up to the value of the slot corner yet. He’ll most likely get offers well below his value. For a team coming off a bad defensive year without much money, he makes a ton of sense. Plus he’s very physical, great tackler & blitzer, and run player.  These are all things that are important for our slot. If it doesn’t cost much, why create another hole to fill?

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Face said:

Desmond King makes a ton of sense to resign. For one, it seems like the league just hasn’t caught up to the value of the slot corner yet. He’ll most likely get offers well below his value. For a team coming off a bad defensive year without much money, he makes a ton of sense. Plus he’s very physical, great tackler & blitzer, and run player.  These are all things that are important for our slot. If it doesn’t cost much, why create another hole to fill?

The answer to why you wouldn't keep him is: 1. He's a limited, primarily zone coverage player and 2. He is just as slow as Logan Ryan and struggles mightily with speed receivers. 

But he does have good traits as well, including those that you mentioned. 

Edited by tgo
1 minute ago, OzTitan said:

Logan Ryan got a pretty good deal and I don't see why King would get less other than due to the suppressed cap space issue. 

King had well documented clashes with the coaching staff at the Chargers and got benched at one point. Different case than Logan Ryan. 

Also, Logan Ryan could actually play outside if needed. King cannot - doesn't have the length to play on the perimeter whatsoever. 

15 minutes ago, tgo said:

The answer to why you wouldn't keep him is: 1. He's a limited, primarily zone coverage player and 2. He is just as slow as Logan Ryan and struggles mightily with speed receivers. 

But he does have good traits as well, including those that you mentioned. 

His coverage in man specifically has dropped off a good bit the last 2 years. His first 2 years he was good to very good in man, great in zone, and great in the run game/blitzing. The coverage has fallen off the last 2 years. So the question is if that is because the position tends to be inconsistent, good corners have years where they just get beat. Bad luck, contested catches that weren’t the fault of the corner, mistakes by safeties, etc. Ot is he a guy who ran just well enough to cover but couldn’t afford to lose that .1 off his 40 time?

In one of Belichick’s books he said 2 traits a corner has to have is t he ability to turn his head at the last second to play the ball & speed. It’s the one position where you can’t hide a slow guy, no matter how crafty.

On 3/6/2021 at 5:59 PM, tgo said:

DLB said he was the smartest safety he ever vetted in college on the white board and was on par with Polamalu in terms of intelligence. Said he was extremely impressive with his knowledge of football and ability to grasp concepts. 

It’s actually his biggest asset - it’s not like he’s the most athletic or rangy safety out there, but he’s likely top 3 in terms of intelligence, alongside Devin McCourty. 

Truth.

3 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Not buying this as the root cause of the defensive issues. Way too much other trash play out there for this to account for even a majority of it. 

It was a multilayered situation. I said it earlier in the thread. We lost our 3 top leaders on defense and they were in all 3 tiers. 

36 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

It was a multilayered situation. I said it earlier in the thread. We lost our 3 top leaders on defense and they were in all 3 tiers. 

It was half and half.    Half of it was the scheme and just losing the knowledge.  The other half was the personel was overrated and wasn't as good as we thought. 

10 minutes ago, rns90 said:

It was half and half.    Half of it was the scheme and just losing the knowledge.  The other half was the personel was overrated and wasn't as good as we thought. 

Yep. I don’t really care about what I’ve said in the past, but this is one I’ve continued to say the entire time. The coaching didn’t get the guys to where they needed to be. The scheme didn’t allow them to play fast. The personnel couldn’t handle losing Casey, Logan, and Woodyard in a tough offseason. 

16 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Yep. I don’t really care about what I’ve said in the past, but this is one I’ve continued to say the entire time. The coaching didn’t get the guys to where they needed to be. The scheme didn’t allow them to play fast. The personnel couldn’t handle losing Casey, Logan, and Woodyard in a tough offseason. 

Just guessing here but they probably thought that the increase in pass rush would cover up whatever early season difficulties the players may have had adjusting.  But then Beasley showed up unmotivated, Clowney out of shape and Jackson got injured so that part of the plan went to hell pretty quickly.