Jayon Brown the Root of Communication Issue on Defense?

tgo

24 minutes ago, XAEA12 said:

And yet the defense sucked the whole year..

These guys blaming Jayon is ridiculous click bait. We had a historically bad defensive line with pressure and sacks. That was the problem with the defense, period.

Wrong - 

The misalignment and confusion on defense was palpable throughout the season and both players and coaches noted miscommunication issues as a big culprit throughout the entire year, as several us brought up ad nauseum. 

Clowney was top 5 in pressures in the league before his injury anyway and the defense still sucked, and it wasn't just because of not getting sacks, which is a totally overrated stat btw. 

In terms of pressure and sacks, the defensive scheme is not a pressure scheme. So regardless of personnel, it is not going to be a high yield defense in terms of sacks and pressures. The DL are coached to two gap and contain, and the ends are coached to set the edge first and foremost. 

Can it improve through some scheme adjustments and better personnel? Yes. But it's not going to turn into Blitzburgh or the Ravens or whatever even with better pass rush personnel. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Draft Zaven Collins.....problem solved.

I discussed it before, but with all the allusion to communication issues, it has to have been one of the LBers at the root of it, maybe along with Byard learning a new defense as he was making the sec

Brown is a good linebacker, but the communication issues were evident from day one. No one stepped up in all three tiers where we lost our leadership with Casey on the line, Woodyard with the LBs, and

I'm sure someone here has heard the rumors  regarding Brown's injury.. what I've heard is the fracture went through the elbow joint..I'm not sure what his mobility will be with that type of injury.. anybody got info on how his rehab is going?

36 minutes ago, tgo said:

Wrong - 

The misalignment and confusion on defense was palpable throughout the season and both players and coaches noted miscommunication issues as a big culprit throughout the entire year, as several us brought up ad nauseum. 

Clowney was top 5 in pressures in the league before his injury anyway and the defense still sucked, and it wasn't just because of not getting sacks, which is a totally overrated stat btw. 

In terms of pressure and sacks, the defensive scheme is not a pressure scheme. So regardless of personnel, it is not going to be a high yield defense in terms of sacks and pressures. The DL are coached to two gap and contain, and the ends are coached to set the edge first and foremost. 

Can it improve through some scheme adjustments and better personnel? Yes. But it's not going to turn into Blitzburgh or the Ravens or whatever even with better pass rush personnel. 

We weren't historically bad the year before with the same scheme and same coverage LBers and secondary. What changed was personnel on the DL and possibly play calling.

My point is it's not Jayon's fault. Je wasn't even in charge of communication the whole season, and we got worse as the season went on. So you think the defense sucked because of Jayon Brown? Replacing him will bring us back to previous performance? Give me a break.

I never said anything about crazy sack numbers or having an attacking DL. The issue with the DL is more than the historically bad sack totals, the impact was felt all over the field. And improving pass rush will be the biggest difference in turning the defense back to respectability. Period.

2 hours ago, rns90 said:

This seems harsh given that he only struggled last year (as did most of the defense) but has been solid up till that point.  Evans, yes but Byard I disagree with that one.

True, probably a bit harsh on Byard. But if he's not taking the ball away he's quite literally useless out there. Not a force at all in the run game, and a liability in the red zone against physical TE's. He made Ebron look like Shannon Sharpe for years.

I have little criticism about Jayon's actual on field performance, more about his concerning lack of durability. He's really strong in both run and pass situations and brings the heart and effort we were lied to about Rashaan because he's bald from PED's and chased horses around as a child.

Edited by stormi

3 hours ago, tgo said:

DLB said he was the smartest safety he ever vetted in college on the white board and was on par with Polamalu in terms of intelligence. Said he was extremely impressive with his knowledge of football and ability to grasp concepts. 

It’s actually his biggest asset - it’s not like he’s the most athletic or rangy safety out there, but he’s likely top 3 in terms of intelligence, alongside Devin McCourty. 

I remember LeBeau saying that about Byard too.  I think Bud A. being 6 feet under all this time has finally lapsed his memory just a bit!

48 minutes ago, XAEA12 said:

We weren't historically bad the year before with the same scheme and same coverage LBers and secondary. What changed was personnel on the DL and possibly play calling.

My point is it's not Jayon's fault. Je wasn't even in charge of communication the whole season, and we got worse as the season went on. So you think the defense sucked because of Jayon Brown? Replacing him will bring us back to previous performance? Give me a break.

I never said anything about crazy sack numbers or having an attacking DL. The issue with the DL is more than the historically bad sack totals, the impact was felt all over the field. And improving pass rush will be the biggest difference in turning the defense back to respectability. Period.

What changed was Pees left, along with Woodyard, Logan Ryan, and Jurrell Casey who were excellent communicators and teachers/leaders. 

You can’t run this complex scheme without smart players who are excellent communicators, and the dropoff from Pees to Bowen is obviously huge. 

4 hours ago, tgo said:

Byard wasn’t just solid before last year, he was demonstrably the best FS in the NFL. 

And going to your point it wasn’t because of his athleticism. I don’t think he’s a leader though, and that’s what the FO figured going into last year. He’s a top tier player in the right situation. 

2 hours ago, Nash said:

I'm sure someone here has heard the rumors  regarding Brown's injury.. what I've heard is the fracture went through the elbow joint..I'm not sure what his mobility will be with that type of injury.. anybody got info on how his rehab is going?

This is what I imagine Bongo’s humble alter ego, Kack Jruse, sounds like. Only two .. instead of ..............

3 hours ago, tgo said:

Wrong - 

100% agree. If we still ran the pees version of the defense we may have had a chance at the superbowl. 

This mush rush both safeties playing near the box and the corners playing 10 yards off is buffshit. We play like we are in some weird prevent not prevent every play till they get into the red zone then we play a 3-4 4-6 hybrid and it works fucking great. (I know it's not a 4-6 in any way but the way the players do their asignments reminds me of it).