Jayon Brown the Root of Communication Issue on Defense?

tgo

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Draft Zaven Collins.....problem solved.

I discussed it before, but with all the allusion to communication issues, it has to have been one of the LBers at the root of it, maybe along with Byard learning a new defense as he was making the sec

Brown is a good linebacker, but the communication issues were evident from day one. No one stepped up in all three tiers where we lost our leadership with Casey on the line, Woodyard with the LBs, and

38 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

None of us have any clue how good or bad Jayon is about communication or relaying calls. We only know we have seen him on the field and he has been an excellent LB (though a bit disappointing last year). 

We have also heard that Evans was the problem with communicating as he had the green dot. And I totally believe this. 

Maybe the answer is to re-sign Brown, give Long the green dot, and move Evans to OLB where he can be a pass rusher. 

Brown had the green dot for the first 10 games. 

Communication issues are a part but the real problem will be talent and coaching. Communication issues don’t cause a guy like evans to get beat by a no look pass or a 37 year old corner to be your starter for the season and get beat like a drum in every game. Also signing a guy who stole money in Beasley and relying on an almost sack rusher in Clowney who got hurt. Communication might be like 10 percent of the problem but we know who the other 80 percent are. 

3 hours ago, tgo said:

I discussed it before, but with all the allusion to communication issues, it has to have been one of the LBers at the root of it, maybe along with Byard learning a new defense as he was making the secondary calls without the help of Logan Ryan. But we know that Byard is a heady player, one of the smartest DBs in the NFL. 

Jayon Brown? Not so much, just listen to the guy. Without McKenzie and Woodyard there to hold his hand, it's highly plausible that he really struggled with the calls as the field general - that's not really his thing. 

Obviously we had many issues on defense - injuries, talent, coaching, scheme, but certainly communication was at the top of the list too. It can't all be put on one player, but I'm not surprised to hear that he played a big part in those communication issues. 

Who had the helmet in 2019?  It's hard to buy that Brown and/or Evans went full retard in 2020 when it was one of them who wore it in prior years.

And LOL about Byard.  He's one of the smartest DB's in the NFL?  Based on what?  I'm not saying he's an idiot but that's hyperbole. 

31 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

Pass rush is an obvious need but coming in a close 2nd IMO is a true leader and elite talent at MLB/ILB.

Absolutely! 

My only qualms with Jayon are that he's been beat up and unavailable back to back years during the most important stretches of our season. When he's on the field though he's an excellent linebacker with unreal instincts.

If he could stay healthy I'd be willing to shell out a lot of money to keep him in Nashville for the foreseeable future. Obviously he can't so I'm expecting him to walk, similar to Adam Humphries who would not have let us down in that Ravens game if he were healthy and in place of Khalif Raymond.

In terms of communicators on the defense, I'm singling out habitual underperformers in Rashaan and Byard before I criticize Jayon.

Edited by stormi

22 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

Who had the helmet in 2019?  It's hard to buy that Brown and/or Evans went full retard in 2020 when it was one of them who wore it in prior years.

And LOL about Byard.  He's one of the smartest DB's in the NFL?  Based on what?  I'm not saying he's an idiot but that's hyperbole. 

DLB said he was the smartest safety he ever vetted in college on the white board and was on par with Polamalu in terms of intelligence. Said he was extremely impressive with his knowledge of football and ability to grasp concepts. 

It’s actually his biggest asset - it’s not like he’s the most athletic or rangy safety out there, but he’s likely top 3 in terms of intelligence, alongside Devin McCourty. 

Edited by tgo

28 minutes ago, stormi said:

In terms of communicators on the defense, I'm singling out habitual underperformers in Rashaan and Byard before I criticize Jayon.

This seems harsh given that he only struggled last year (as did most of the defense) but has been solid up till that point.  Evans, yes but Byard I disagree with that one.

1 hour ago, stormi said:

If he could stay healthy I'd be willing to shell out a lot of money to keep him in Nashville for the foreseeable future. Obviously he can't so I'm expecting him to walk, similar to Adam Humphries who would not have let us down in that Ravens game if he were healthy and in place of Khalif Raymond.

Byard didn’t have the green dot so that makes little sense, and he is infinitely more intelligent and more of a leader than Jayon Brown. 

And Evans only had it sporadically after Brown went down because they rightfully don’t trust him with the defense. 

50 minutes ago, rns90 said:

This seems harsh given that he only struggled last year (as did most of the defense) but has been solid up till that point.  Evans, yes but Byard I disagree with that one.

Byard wasn’t just solid before last year, he was demonstrably the best FS in the NFL. 

8 hours ago, tgo said:

Nah it started with Jayon and then went to Compton, Evans, Long at different times. 

And yet the defense sucked the whole year..

These guys blaming Jayon is ridiculous click bait. We had a historically bad defensive line with pressure and sacks. That was the problem with the defense, period.