I don’t have the tape to back this up, but I noticed when we went into a quarter defense last year with Landry as basically a 9 tech on 3 man rushes he got to the QB almost every single time. It wasn’t many plays, but the guy needs to be unleashed. This dropping back and mush rush needs to go. Let him set the edge and get after the QB. 

11 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Imo he is fantastic at his job. He is very derick Morgan in that he is not elite at anything but for a 2nd rounder to be able to do everything at a solid level to me he is a 10+ year titan who has the potential to do more if we set him loose on the qb bit that just is not our defense.

The last bit is where I have a problem with the scheme. It doesn’t make any sense. It only works against a few QBs, and even then it has to be ran to perfection. We saw that on the 3rd and 11 when Jackson ended the game. 

Also, something that hasn’t been discussed much is how the Ravens exploited the contain defense in the second half. They started running him off the guard instead of outside. If the scheme can’t work against a guy like Lamar Jackson then it‘s worthless. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny
2 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

The last bit is where I have a problem with the scheme. It doesn’t make any sense. It only works against a few QBs, and even the it has to be ran to perfection. We saw that on the 3rd and 11 when Jackson ended the game. 

Again 100% agree. We play like we are going against Lamar every fucking week and it is stupid.

@IsntLifeFunny like you said about it needing to be run to perfection is also something I did not touch on. Our whatever you want to cAll it is so much like the Tampa 2 in like you said it has to be perfect or it is trash. (Again not saying it is like the Tampa 2 but needs near perfect play to work).

On 3/6/2021 at 9:16 PM, tgo said:

Just to play devil’s advocate -

The level of energy exertion is also a factor in terms of scheme differences. 

Washburn had no choice but to rotate pass rushers because he was asking guys to go balls to the wall 110% every play from the wide nine alignment like there was no tomorrow. 

In this scheme, guys aren’t all out rushing all that often. They’re mush rushing playing contain or on certain plays purposefully engaging and directing the OL in order to “build a wall.” 

Washburn’s thing was to play the run on the way to the QB, but unless it’s a sub package passing down - the philosophy of this scheme is to “build a wall” (as Pees and Vrabel always say) and hold the edge first and foremost, and also to drop into zone coverage at times in Landry’s case. 

Point being, the level of exertion needed for OLBs to execute this defense is different than the level of energy exerted in the Washburn scheme - it’s a different kind of endurance that is required. 

I bet though that if Vrabel had a worthy third rusher that he’d play them more, esp on pass rush downs. I just dont think he believes in rotating in backend players (like LaBoy, Odom, Hayes, etc) just to rotate as Washburn did. But for Washburn, it was absolutely necessary - he needed guys going 110% not 90%. 

While that may be true, I routinely saw Clowney, Simmons, and Landry looking totally gassed on long drives. It’s just unacceptable to play those guys as much as we did regardless of what scheme we’re playing. I’d bet Landry and Simmons were top of the league in snap percentage (probably Clowney as well on a per game basis).

Edited by Thrill
8 hours ago, patsplat said:

When Beasley failed to show up the planned rotation was busted.

This has been the playing time % even before this season and they still could have rested Landry

It's inexcusable 

For whatever reason, Vrabel/Bowen don't seem to want to rotate these guys much.  Maybe Vrabel didn't like coming off the field when he played?  

Clowney also had $750,000 in incentives to play 75% of the snaps in his contract.  He was playing over that before he got hurt.