Jump to content

Rapoport - Jonnu Smith could potentially be franchise tagged


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Jonnu is a terrible route runner and Tanny doesn't trust him on critical downs, but if he improves in that area he has all the other tools to be really good. It's worth giving him another year

 

They shouldn't tag him and then play him on the tag, that will take up around half our available cap space even after releasing 3 or 4 players. 

 

If they tag him, they should extend him. 

Edited by tgo
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only so many TE in the NFL athletic enough to do this    

I’d prefer keeping Corey to Jonnu (if it came to that), but they definitely need to keep at least one of them. 

Hopefully they can get enough room to tag Jonnu.   He's extremely undervalued by a lot of fans and underutilized by the team. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

 

They shouldn't tag him and then play him on the tag, that will take up around half our available cap space even after releasing 3 or 4 players. 

My preference would be for the Titans to sign Smith and Davis on low initial cap deals that they can get out of after a couple years if possible and then draft heavy defense

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, IrishTitansFan said:

My preference would be for the Titans to sign Smith and Davis on low initial cap deals that they can get out of after a couple years if possible and then draft heavy defense

 

Yeah, we'll need low year 1 cap hits for any extensions or FA signings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

As I posted earlier, it appears the front office is leaking the Jonnu might get tagged narrative in order to exert leverage in contract negotiations.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ctm said:

As I posted earlier, it appears the front office is leaking the Jonnu might get tagged narrative in order to exert leverage in contract negotiations.  

 

It's also just obvious that he may get tagged due to the value of the TE tag. Wyatt has said it multiple times too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tgo said:

 

It's also just obvious that he may get tagged due to the value of the TE tag. Wyatt has said it multiple times too. 

 

Both parties will want to avoid the tag if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Jonnu is a terrible route runner and Tanny doesn't trust him on critical downs, but if he improves in that area he has all the other tools to be really good. It's worth giving him another year

After dropping one of the biggest passes of the season in one of the biggest situations of the season he shouldn't.

 

I still can't believe he didn't catch that ball.  Yeah, it was contested but he has to catch that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, scine09 said:

After dropping one of the biggest passes of the season in one of the biggest situations of the season he shouldn't.

 

I still can't believe he didn't catch that ball.  Yeah, it was contested but he has to catch that.

 

Because he's all talent and no technique. The infatuation with him bugs the shit out of me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Hopefully they can get enough room to tag Jonnu.

 

He's extremely undervalued by a lot of fans and underutilized by the team. 

Totally agree. They spent too much time making him a good blocker and all around TE to cut bait now. 

Edited by japan
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

Because he's all talent and no technique. The infatuation with him bugs the shit out of me. 

To me he's a better blocking Jared Cook.  Dangerous when he has the ball but not quite as reliable as you'd like.

 

That being said, I want him back.

Edited by scine09
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, scine09 said:

After dropping one of the biggest passes of the season in one of the biggest situations of the season he shouldn't.

 

I still can't believe he didn't catch that ball.  Yeah, it was contested but he has to catch that.

 

Yeah....you can't pay a guy big $ who isnt a consistent playmaker.  Firk consistently gets looks in crunch time.  Henry and AJ find ways not to be underutilized.  I actually like him and think there's a remote chance he's just a late bloomer.  But you can't allocate big money to a guy like this.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

To me he's a better blocking Jared Cook.  Dangerous when he has the ball but not quite as reliable as you'd like.

 

I get your comparison, but Jared Cook is much better in the pass game and as a route runner, particularly across the seam. Cook is also built like a tall WR whereas Jonnu is built more like a big fullback. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

Because he's all talent and no technique. The infatuation with him bugs the shit out of me. 

He is a player that teams have to scheme against because of his physical talent like they do Henry and Brown (Blame Vrabel and Smith for not using him enough in the passing game.)  With the tag being low for TE's, it seems like a no brainer...

Edited by japan
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, VaTitan said:

 

Yeah....you can't pay a guy big $ who isnt a consistent playmaker.  Firk consistently gets looks in crunch time.  Henry and AJ find ways not to be underutilized.  I actually like him and think there's a remote chance he's just a late bloomer.  But you can't allocate big money to a guy like this.  

Firkser needs to be back and needs more playing time.  His blocking is good enough.  Not sure why his playing time is so limited.  His hands are probably the best on the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...