Rapoport - Jonnu Smith could potentially be franchise tagged

Just now, IrishTitansFan said:

My preference would be for the Titans to sign Smith and Davis on low initial cap deals that they can get out of after a couple years if possible and then draft heavy defense

Yeah, we'll need low year 1 cap hits for any extensions or FA signings. 

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Only so many TE in the NFL athletic enough to do this    

I’d prefer keeping Corey to Jonnu (if it came to that), but they definitely need to keep at least one of them. 

Hopefully they can get enough room to tag Jonnu.   He's extremely undervalued by a lot of fans and underutilized by the team. 

1 minute ago, ctm said:

As I posted earlier, it appears the front office is leaking the Jonnu might get tagged narrative in order to exert leverage in contract negotiations.  

It's also just obvious that he may get tagged due to the value of the TE tag. Wyatt has said it multiple times too. 

1 minute ago, tgo said:

It's also just obvious that he may get tagged due to the value of the TE tag. Wyatt has said it multiple times too. 

Both parties will want to avoid the tag if possible.

27 minutes ago, IrishTitansFan said:

Jonnu is a terrible route runner and Tanny doesn't trust him on critical downs, but if he improves in that area he has all the other tools to be really good. It's worth giving him another year

After dropping one of the biggest passes of the season in one of the biggest situations of the season he shouldn't.

I still can't believe he didn't catch that ball.  Yeah, it was contested but he has to catch that.

51 minutes ago, scine09 said:

After dropping one of the biggest passes of the season in one of the biggest situations of the season he shouldn't.

I still can't believe he didn't catch that ball.  Yeah, it was contested but he has to catch that.

Because he's all talent and no technique. The infatuation with him bugs the shit out of me. 

3 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Hopefully they can get enough room to tag Jonnu.

He's extremely undervalued by a lot of fans and underutilized by the team. 

Totally agree. They spent too much time making him a good blocker and all around TE to cut bait now. 

Edited by japan

10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Because he's all talent and no technique. The infatuation with him bugs the shit out of me. 

To me he's a better blocking Jared Cook.  Dangerous when he has the ball but not quite as reliable as you'd like.

That being said, I want him back.

Edited by scine09

1 hour ago, scine09 said:

Yeah....you can't pay a guy big $ who isnt a consistent playmaker.  Firk consistently gets looks in crunch time.  Henry and AJ find ways not to be underutilized.  I actually like him and think there's a remote chance he's just a late bloomer.  But you can't allocate big money to a guy like this.  

2 minutes ago, scine09 said:

To me he's a better blocking Jared Cook.  Dangerous when he has the ball but not quite as reliable as you'd like.

I get your comparison, but Jared Cook is much better in the pass game and as a route runner, particularly across the seam. Cook is also built like a tall WR whereas Jonnu is built more like a big fullback. 

17 minutes ago, oldschool said:

He is a player that teams have to scheme against because of his physical talent like they do Henry and Brown (Blame Vrabel and Smith for not using him enough in the passing game.)  With the tag being low for TE's, it seems like a no brainer...

Edited by japan

1 minute ago, VaTitan said:

Yeah....you can't pay a guy big $ who isnt a consistent playmaker.  Firk consistently gets looks in crunch time.  Henry and AJ find ways not to be underutilized.  I actually like him and think there's a remote chance he's just a late bloomer.  But you can't allocate big money to a guy like this.  

Firkser needs to be back and needs more playing time.  His blocking is good enough.  Not sure why his playing time is so limited.  His hands are probably the best on the team.

3 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Only so many TE in the NFL athletic enough to do this

Guy is a freak.  I would be disappointed if they let him leave.  The hope is that Downing will value him more than Smith did...

Edited by japan

6 minutes ago, japan said:

Guy is a freak.  I would be disappointed if they let him leave.  The hope is that Downing will value him more than Smith did...

Well, moreso that he can find more ways to use him than Smith did. 

But also if Davis leaves, that leaves more targets for him.