Manziel is planning to be a PGA tour player

Didn't see this posted. I probably put in the wrong forum...oh well

Good luck Johnny, you nutty bastard

Remember Johnny Manziel? Former Heisman winner says he’s serious about becoming a PGA Tour player

https://sports.yahoo.com/remember-johnny-manziel-former-heisman-014431833.html

Not a bad swing, but he's gonna burn through some serious cash if he just plays golf for the next dozen years

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCl-T1PB1bW/?utm_source=ig_embed

This guy was a bust regardless of how hard he worked, he never was going to amount to much. What he did in college against guys who are probably selling insurance door to door now wasn’t going to translate to the NFL. He was a guy who made ridiculous plays in college and Throwing wild passes that were caught by miracles running around for his life. Even if he put in the film work I doubt it would have amounted to much. The fact the Browns took him just shows you how bad that team was run. 

9 hours ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

I call BS on the scratch golfer.

Well he did say "around a scratch golfer".  LOL

Which of course even if he is a scratch golfer, that's not nearly good enough to make it on the tour.  I read something a few years ago about just trying to get through Q school and it said if you aren't consistently 5 under at your home course you have no shot.

I also somewhat recently played a round out at PGA West with a kid who was trying to get on the tour.  He was playing in Fedex Cup events.  His cap was +2 or +3.  For anyone that doesn't know how handicaps work, that means he is better than scratch so you add strokes to his score because he's too good to play against straight up.  He played competitive D1 college golf at a real school and had graduated the year before.  It was crazy playing with him to see the consistency these guys have.  He was 290 off the tee in the fairway all day every tee (which of course is 5 yards below average on tour).  Every part of his game was nails.  He hit one bad shot all day.  One.  It was on a par 5.  He was of course playing tips and I was playing blues.  I crushed my drive (for me) and was actually ahead of him on the fairway.  So we pull up to his ball and he takes out an iron.  I asked him if he could hit the green from there with an iron.  He said no.  I told him well I'm going for it in 2 so don't be a pussy.  He pulled out a fairway wood and chunked it.  After the round, I asked him what he shot.  He said he didn't keep score, he was just there to try and get better.  I went back through the day in my head and estimated he probably shot about 4-5 under.

Manziel's swing is terrible BTW.  Without some drastic changes, he'll only get worse on the scorecard as his body ages.  He looks like a guy who can score a bit due to general athletic ability and coordination as opposed to being a real golfer.

Edited by abenjami

10 hours ago, abenjami said:

Well he did say "around a scratch golfer".  LOL

Which of course even if he is a scratch golfer, that's not nearly good enough to make it on the tour.  I read something a few years ago about just trying to get through Q school and it said if you aren't consistently 5 under at your home course you have no shot.

I also somewhat recently played a round out at PGA West with a kid who was trying to get on the tour.  He was playing in Fedex Cup events.  His cap was +2 or +3.  For anyone that doesn't know how handicaps work, that means he is better than scratch so you add strokes to his score because he's too good to play against straight up.  He played competitive D1 college golf at a real school and had graduated the year before.  It was crazy playing with him to see the consistency these guys have.  He was 290 off the tee in the fairway all day every tee (which of course is 5 yards below average on tour).  Every part of his game was nails.  He hit one bad shot all day.  One.  It was on a par 5.  He was of course playing tips and I was playing blues.  I crushed my drive (for me) and was actually ahead of him on the fairway.  So we pull up to his ball and he takes out an iron.  I asked him if he could hit the green from there with an iron.  He said no.  I told him well I'm going for it in 2 so don't be a pussy.  He pulled out a fairway wood and chunked it.  After the round, I asked him what he shot.  He said he didn't keep score, he was just there to try and get better.  I went back through the day in my head and estimated he probably shot about 4-5 under.

Manziel's swing is terrible BTW.  Without some drastic changes, he'll only get worse on the scorecard as his body ages.  He looks like a guy who can score a bit due to general athletic ability and coordination as opposed to being a real golfer.

Lol I assumed he meant around a scratch golfer on his home course which means he would probably shoots in the high 80s on any tour course. And that would be a good day. 

I play with a couple guys that played high level D1 golf. It’s unreal. 

I think you nailed it. He looks like an athlete swinging a club. I know he is a decent golfer but there is a big difference between a good golfer and a PGA tour quality golfer. 

This past summer, my kid was caddying in a group that Manziel was supposed to play in. He was coming in town for a charity event and was going to play 36 the day before at two area courses, one of which my kid was a caddy.

His Taylor Made rep calls him from the course at 7am and he answers- in Vegas, going strong (4am there) and says he missed the flight.  Needless to say my kid was bummed but not surprised.

Anyway, he arrived later and played at the charity event and I heard he was a solid stick.

But his level is so far from a Tour player, he would have a better chance of trying to start again for the Browns next year than playing a Tour event.

On 3/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, CaliTitan3518 said:

I call BS on the scratch golfer.

Right, but even a scratch golfer can't make it on the tour.  

Edit.  Everybody is nailing it on Johnny not actually being good enough to earn a living on the tour.  Plus, it's hard ass work.  Johnny has never shown he wants to work hard.

Edited by Number9

1 minute ago, TF_Titan said:

It wouldn't matter anyway. There are a million scratch golfers who couldn't sniff the PGA tour.

How hard is it to make the NBA, MLB, NFL or NHL?  Those players are the best in the world.  How many opening are there on the PGA Tour?  It's probably one of the most competitive pro sports to crack.  I took lessons from a guy who used to shoot in the middle 60's in the TN Pro Tournaments and he couldn't make it.

2 minutes ago, Number9 said:

How hard is it to make the NBA, MLB, NFL or NHL?  Those players are the best in the world.  How many opening are there on the PGA Tour?  It's probably one of the most competitive pro sports to crack.  I took lessons from a guy who used to shoot in the middle 60's in the TN Pro Tournaments and he couldn't make it.

Most scratch golfers would probably do well to break 80 on a course setup for a PGA tour event...much less with 50,000 fans lining the fairways a greens and a TV camera in your face for every shot.