Titans Sign Breon Borders Back to Roster

tgo

Just now, titanskick8851 said:

Definitely was a procedural move as he wasn't awful depth. Not someone you want to count on, but like Tye Smith he can step in and do a good job for a quarter or two.

I actually think he was pretty good depth on the cheap and was a good find by Robinson, despite the bad game. 

As you said, similar caliber to Tye Smith (maybe a tad better) or a LeShaun Sims. 

20 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

He had one awful game, two good ones, and one where he looked like a backup who was solid enough. For a 5th or 6th CB on the cheap who plays ST that’s more than what you would expect. 

Given financial constraints this offseason he is probably going to be CB4 or CB5.

3 hours ago, Jas said:

Borders was way better in the games he played than Adoree Jackson was after he returned.

Adoree had a serious injury he was getting over and was completely out of game shape after missing OTAs, camp and most of the season.. Borders is good depth but NOT a guy you want starting.

Edited by freakingeek

13 hours ago, freakingeek said:

Adoree had a serious injury he was getting over and was completely out of game shape after missing OTAs, camp and most of the season.. Borders is good depth but NOT a guy you want starting.

Adoree didn't miss camp.  He first appeared on an injury report on the Friday before the first game against Denver.

Borders only started 5 games (played in 6), but he only gave up 24 completions on 47 targets, 51.1% completion percentage and 86.6 passer rating with 1 INT.

Adoree's numbers are -

2018 - 65 completions on 115 targets, 56.5% completion percentage and 89.4 passer rating with 2 INTs

2019 - 36 completions on 54 targets, 66.7% completion percentage and 94.3 passer rating with 0 INTs

2020 - 13 completions on 16 targets, 81.3% completion percentage and 145.8 passer rating with 0 INTs

Adoree is average at best and certainly not worth $10M in 2021. 

Obviously I'd rather have a corner better than Borders, but if I had to choose, I'd take Borders and devote that $10M to a pass rusher instead of Adoree and no pass rusher.  I would say the same about paying Butler $12M, even though Butler he is better than Adoree.  Tampa won the SB with their front 7, not with their corners.

9 minutes ago, Jas said:

Adoree didn't miss camp.  He first appeared on an injury report on the Friday before the first game against Denver.

Borders only started 5 games (played in 6), but he only gave up 24 completions on 47 targets, 51.1% completion percentage and 86.6 passer rating with 1 INT.

Adoree's numbers are -

2018 - 65 completions on 115 targets, 56.5% completion percentage and 89.4 passer rating with 2 INTs

2019 - 36 completions on 54 targets, 66.7% completion percentage and 94.3 passer rating with 0 INTs

2020 - 13 completions on 16 targets, 81.3% completion percentage and 145.8 passer rating with 0 INTs

Adoree is average at best and certainly not worth $10M in 2021. 

Obviously I'd rather have a corner better than Borders, but if I had to choose, I'd take Borders and devote that $10M to a pass rusher instead of Adoree and no pass rusher.  I would say the same about paying Butler $12M, even though Butler he is better than Adoree.  Tampa won the SB with their front 7, not with their corners.

Even at his best Adoree wasn't a shut down corner though he did appear to have some potential. Here is the test; think about the top 10-15 receivers in the league and imagine Adoree covering them 1 on 1 for the whole game? How many of those match-ups does he win? IMO, not many and if that's the case he isn't what you're looking for in a #1 CB. 

19 minutes ago, tgo said:

I think people are totally forgetting how well Adoree Jackson played before last year and how he was steadily improving. He was the number 1 matchup corner in 2019. 

There's a reason why Robinson gave him the 5th year option in the first place. 

No - I think most people remember that aside from a handful of games (and mind you two of them were NE and Baltimore) that Jackson has always been more potential than production. 

I know this, he better play A LOT better in 2021 to justify 10 M against the cap.  I realize he was not 100% healthy when he came back but he was 100% awful.