Bowen officially named DC

ChesterCopperpot1

• Replies 316
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Is there a more undeserving DC in the NFL? Look up Bowen's resume. He's a hanger on. Fuck Vrabel and his ego. It will be his downfall.

There is a huge difference from having a list of qualified people you have worked with and would work with again and going full on entourage like Vrabel has with Bowen. Bowen hasn't gotten anything do

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Had very similar thoughts. Byard, in particular, had some words that would indicate he wasn't too happy with the scheme. I actually think there's a chance they could try and trade him now. Heck, maybe he even requests a trade.

You're also spot on about them going all out on defense this offseason and likely at the expense of the offense.

Vrabel is completely doubling down on his staff and the scheme, which means they have to completely overhaul on defense if they have any hope of getting it to work.

LOL.  Nobody is trading for that horrid contract.  It's also not the scheme's fault that he was horrible in coverage and tackling this past year.   His lame effort whiffing against Lamar Jackson swung the playoff game

1 minute ago, rns90 said:

Have you watched any of these guys play???  Like this year?  Garropolo sucks and Watson won't be traded in the AFC South.  Rodgers as in Aaron?  He won't get traded.

So they acquire Newton, and you think they'll be favorites?  This is ridiculous.  Who the QB is matters a lot.  With Brissett, their ceiling is a 9 win team , we saw this in 2019.

This was bad even for you.

Lol...yeah, I've watched them, and if they acquire Newton, yeah, they're favorites.

I probably like Reich more than most, but even with Newton or Garropolo, he will shift the offense to fit the team. 

Better roster, far better coaching, and plenty of quality QBs available for them to go after. 

It's pretty easy to grasp...even for someone unable to grasp more than a record.

1 minute ago, Jonboy said:

Had very similar thoughts. Byard, in particular, had some words that would indicate he wasn't too happy with the scheme. I actually think there's a chance they could try and trade him now. Heck, maybe he even requests a trade.

You're also spot on about them going all out on defense this offseason and likely at the expense of the offense.

Vrabel is completely doubling down on his staff and the scheme, which means they have to completely overhaul on defense if they have any hope of getting it to work.

Facts are this probably is the worst defensive coaching staff in the entire NFL, Vrabel/Bowen led defenses in Houston and now at the Titans have been absolutely horrific, the Vrabel bend then eventually break scheme just doesn't cut it in this iteration of the NFL where offense dominates.

If I was Harold Landry I would be going to my agent and putting in a trade request right now.

13 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

The amount of hand-wringing over these two promotions is wild.  On the offensive side, I think it was a solid move considering Downing had some OC experience and learned at the feet of Lafleur and Smith.  While I wasn't impressed with the Vrabel/Bowen defense last year, did people really expect that we were going to bring in some DC to run a 4-3 or a defense that didn't mesh with what the HC wants to do on defense?  Other thing to consider is that it can't get much worse on defense next year.  Lol on guys like Byard asking for trades.

1 minute ago, japan said:

The amount of hand-wringing over these two promotions is wild.  On the offensive side, I think it was a solid move considering Downing had some OC experience and learned at the feet of Lafleur and Smith.  While I wasn't impressed with the Vrabel/Bowen defense last year, did people really expect that we were going to bring in some DC to run a 4-3 or a defense that didn't mesh with what the HC wants to do on defense?  Other thing to consider is that it can't get much worse on defense next year.  Lol on guys like Byard asking for trades.

I would hope that when a defense is historically bad, the HC would try to improve it.  I'm not saying a total shift to a 4-3, but at least someone that has experience shaping a defense.  Byard won't ask for a trade, but why would a talented defensive player come here other than to get paid like Clowney and Beasley?  It's not because they'll be under coaching that maximizes their strengths, that's for sure.

9 minutes ago, BudsOilers said:

LOL.  Nobody is trading for that horrid contract.  It's also not the scheme's fault that he was horrible in coverage and tackling this past year.   His lame effort whiffing against Lamar Jackson swung the playoff game

Honestly I thought the same thing. As much as I hate Bowen please, somebody please trade for our $70 million safety. I almost had a fucking coronary typing that shit out. We’re paying a safety $70 million & he went out & thanked us by gifting us that abortion of a season. He was absolutely terrible in every aspect of the game last year. Please, give me a conditional 7th in 2035 & you can have him.

2 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

I would hope that when a defense is historically bad, the HC would try to improve it.  I'm not saying a total shift to a 4-3, but at least someone that has experience shaping a defense.  Byard won't ask for a trade, but why would a talented defensive player come here other than to get paid like Clowney and Beasley?  It's not because they'll be under coaching that maximizes their strengths, that's for sure.

We did just win the division for the first time since 2008 and are riding a 5 year winning season trend.  Vrabel isn't going to be fired next year.  Robinson isn't going to leave the team.  Looney Tune reactions.

2 minutes ago, IowaOiler said:

Thsts why every FA signs anywhere. Money. Except for the 30+ vet whose completely loaded & may sign on to win a Bowl. Problem is we have no money this year & we sure as shit ain’t sniffing a Bowl.

This thing is over, Bowen is our new DC, and we have to face a reality. Looking at optimistic side, maybe Bowen gets better in his second year of play calling, and he has a whole offseason to figure out what went wrong last season. We had Jackson out like 80% of season, and when he came back, he wasn't even close to 100%. Fulton injured also. Clowney injured, Simmons not 100% last 4-5 games. Brown went down against the Ravens. We were losing our key pieces on defense. I hope we won't have 10 key players injured next season, I know everyone are dealing with something through the season, BUT WE WERE INJURED AT EVERY POSITION. Lets give Bowen this offseason to sort out personnel, scheme and communication problems 

10 minutes ago, japan said:

This is a reasonable take.  I'd add that in retrospect, the personnel on defense was highly overrated.  I think it's fair to question whether or not someone like Landry is being best used to potential though.  Some of the stuff on 3rd down was just missed tackles and I can't really blame Bowen/scheme on this.  But stuff like playing soft zone on almost every qb made no sense.  It's a combination of all 3, just what % you want to assign blame to.

With improved personnel, I'm at least hoping to get back to 2019 defensive levels.  That being said, some of this is on Vrabel's conservative nature (see 2nd half of Houston where they stopped blitzing in the 3rd quarter).