Tannehill season highlights(he's really good!)

OILERMAN

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

There was definitely a subtle offensive shift once Lewan went down Jonnu was required to stay inline more often to help out backup OT and the previously regular deep shots to Raymond almost completely disappeared as Smith/Vrabel clearly didn't trust the protection to hold up on longer developing plays.

Going to be interesting to see what differences we see offensively under a new OC next season.

Jonnu being required to stay in to block in 2020 begs the question for 2021,,,,,,What's the point in signing Jonnu to a fairly expensive extension if he's going to be used to protect a scrub RT in 2021?

Whether or not JRob will put the team in position to move on from Wilson with a real RT overhangs this off season.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Can't help notice what a beast Jonnu was before Lewan went down in these highlights    

Jackson (even though almost everyone here disagrees), Allen, Stafford, Matt Ryan, and possibly Prescott (if he's healthy) or Cousins as well.   And Tom Brady, even though he is turning 44 in

Posted Images

1 minute ago, BudsOilers said:

The OT issue really only came into play when they went against top teams - obviously what you face in the playoffs.  That's likely why Robinson was sniffing around Reiff and Bolles at the trade deadline.

With 4 guys over 30 and all having some kind of injury issues last season JRob needs to start preparing to work some younger guys into this starting OL.

14 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The offense still scored 30 ppg after Lewan went down.... It clearly altered the offense as Smith had to stay in pass protection more often but the idea the offense cratered or became anything other than what it was designed to be is false.

No one said it cratered. I said it clearly had a big effect on our offense particularly against teams with good pass rushers. It's great to score 30 ppg but it isn't so great when your playbook is limited by your personnel. 

1 hour ago, abenjami said:

I'd love to see some kind of metric on QB accuracy for throws over 10 or 15 yards.  RT threw some absolute dimes this season.

That's one of the things I love about most RT. He always looks to push the ball 20+ yards downfield and the short dump offs are few and far between. 

Just now, Mythos27 said:

No one said it cratered. I said it clearly had a big effect on our offense particularly against teams with good pass rushers. It's great to score 30 ppg but it isn't so great when your playbook is limited by your personnel. 

That what happens when you are stubborn about running the ball and refuse to go to a quick passing game. Its no secret I'm not a huge Arthur Smith fan, the offense failed to adequately evolve over the course of the year which is on Vrabel and Smith. They thought they could ride Henry to the Superbowl and they were wrong.

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

That what happens when you are stubborn about running the ball and refuse to go to a quick passing game. Its no secret I'm not a huge Arthur Smith fan, the offense failed to adequately evolve over the course of the year which is on Vrabel and Smith. They thought they could ride Henry to the Superbowl and they were wrong.

I wonder how much of that shift in philosophy came into play after Lewan went down and they knew protection wouldn’t always hold up?  Just a theory. 

5 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I wonder how much of that shift in philosophy came into play after Lewan went down and they knew protection wouldn’t always hold up?  Just a theory. 

None.  It was the same last year and the year prior also.  They've been one of the most run heavy first down teams under Vrabel with MLF and Smith. 

1 minute ago, BudsOilers said:

None.  It was the same last year and the year prior also.  They've been one of the most run heavy first down teams under Vrabel with MLF and Smith. 

I just mean, if youre working with a maekshift o-line, I would assume you'd be more willing to run it with your star RB as opposed to passing with long-developing pass plays if you KNOW your protection isn't going to hold up.

Just now, StephenIsLegend said:

I just mean, if youre working with a maekshift o-line, I would assume you'd be more willing to run it with your star RB as opposed to passing with long-developing pass plays if you KNOW your protection isn't going to hold up.

30th in 2018 - 59% run/41% pass; 31st in 2019 - 62% run/38% pass; 2020 - 65% run/35% pass

1 hour ago, MemphisTitan said:

He’s been shut down in two straight playoffs now 

By his own offense's playcalling and scheming. I get playoff football requires some new wrinkles but the last two playoffs has seen an offense completely unrecognizable from its regular season self from the top down.