GOT prequels (HOTD, Dunk & Egg, Robert's Rebellion)

NashvilleNinja

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The animated DC content has been great at producing content, evolving, and providing Elseworlds material. Sadly, this sort of world building--as you've pointed out--was royal-y fucked when they empowe

There will be entertainment value but the depths of the writing won't compare. You can count on one hand the times a TV series captured the complexity of a novel.    GRRM needed decades to do t

My interest in this depends on which storyline(s) they want to go down.   If they are going to run a 3 season series about the childhood of Hodor, I'll pass.   But I'd totally watc

GRRM did some incredible worldbuilding with Song of Ice and Fire. It leaves a lot of material for AT&T to turn into content for HBO Max.

And they need all the material they can get to bring in subscriptions. Disney has Marvel and Star Wars, which will end up being a big driver for their streaming service.

Apparently WarnerBrothers is also working on a Harry Potter TV series. That could be a big cash cow for HBO Max, too.

18 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Apparently WarnerBrothers is also working on a Harry Potter TV series. That could be a big cash cow for HBO Max, too.

Is Harry Potter even relevant now?  Pop culturally, speaking.    The last movie was a decade ago almost I think.  I haven't bothered with the prequel movies.

3 minutes ago, rns90 said:

Is Harry Potter even relevant now?  Pop culturally, speaking.    The last movie was a decade ago almost I think.  I haven't bothered with the prequel movies.

That’s like saying that Star Wars wasn’t relevant years after Return of the Jedi was released or Lord of the Rings wasn’t relevant 5 decades after it was published.

A new series would get millions of people to subscribe to HBO Max. That’s the goal. And as long as they make it good, I’d watch. The movies are good enough, but they leave a lot of meat on the bone from the books to fit them into a 2 hour movie. Nowadays they get an 8 hour streaming season out of a book.

Edited by Starkiller

19 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

The Ringer has an article on this comparing GoT franchise to other “worlds” different streaming services have. 

The difference is HBO has to deal with Martin. 

If Martin didn't mind working with HBO he could have said no to other series. Or maybe he couldn't. Idk what all they own the rights to of Martin's work. But Martin agreed to it and I'm sure he appreciates his status thanks to GOT.

In other words, I think the notion that Martin is difficult to work with is way overblown by people, a lot of whom are probably just pissed he hasn't put out WOW yet. It's possible he may have written himself into a corner that he couldn't get out of before the show passed him by. That may have discouraged him. I've also read how Bran winding up the king was his end game and that wasn't exactly well-received so he could have been discouraged by that too.

30 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

GRRM did some incredible worldbuilding with Song of Ice and Fire. It leaves a lot of material for AT&T to turn into content for HBO Max.

And they need all the material they can get to bring in subscriptions. Disney has Marvel and Star Wars, which will end up being a big driver for their streaming service.

It's too bad all the material focuses on GOT prequels. I'd love to see an Arya Stark Indiana Jones-style adventure series, but I doubt GRRM has written much of anything set in a post-ASOIAF world so that's probably a lost idea.

39 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

It's too bad all the material focuses on GOT prequels. I'd love to see an Arya Stark Indiana Jones-style adventure series, but I doubt GRRM has written much of anything set in a post-ASOIAF world so that's probably a lost idea.

I don’t see a sequel in the offing (though an Arya sails west one could be fun).

But there are so many “historical” tales from ASOIAF to tell that they can run for many years. 

20 hours ago, Starkiller said:

HBO has the DC Universe.  I have only checked out a bit, but I like "The Titans" tv show.  Granted, I'm only 3-4 episodes in.  I've been told that the other shows are worth checking out, too.

19 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

If Martin didn't mind working with HBO he could have said no to other series. Or maybe he couldn't. Idk what all they own the rights to of Martin's work. But Martin agreed to it and I'm sure he appreciates his status thanks to GOT.

In other words, I think the notion that Martin is difficult to work with is way overblown by people, a lot of whom are probably just pissed he hasn't put out WOW yet. It's possible he may have written himself into a corner that he couldn't get out of before the show passed him by. That may have discouraged him. I've also read how Bran winding up the king was his end game and that wasn't exactly well-received so he could have been discouraged by that too.

Here's the article from The Ringer:

https://www.theringer.com/game-of-thrones/2021/1/25/22248282/game-of-thrones-extended-universe-hbo-george-rr-martin-dunk-egg

In it, the author answers most of your questions.  Martin doesn't want to have a sequel to the GoT storyline yet.  Likewise, he gets final say on anything GoT-related.  At one point, he wasn't allowing Dunk and Egg because he wasn't done writing them.  Apparently (as the article states) they must have come to an agreement since Martin previously stated that.  

26 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

HBO has the DC Universe.  I have only checked out a bit, but I like "The Titans" tv show.  Granted, I'm only 3-4 episodes in.  I've been told that the other shows are worth checking out, too.

The DC Universe has mostly produced nothing driving fans to watch. Most of the movies have sucked and none of the TV shows have motivated an audience enough to generate a demand from subscribers.

57 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

The DC Universe has mostly produced nothing driving fans to watch. Most of the movies have sucked and none of the TV shows have motivated an audience enough to generate a demand from subscribers.

I agree.  I only found The Titans because I'm familiar with the characters from the Teen Titans Go show (great, dumb humor to watch with kids of any age).  That was enough for me to try out the first episode.  Supposedly, the animated shows are good, too.  I haven't seen them, though.  

29 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

I agree.  I only found The Titans because I'm familiar with the characters from the Teen Titans Go show (great, dumb humor to watch with kids of any age).  That was enough for me to try out the first episode.  Supposedly, the animated shows are good, too.  I haven't seen them, though.  

Young Justice is good, though I haven’t seen the 3rd season yet

7 hours ago, Starkiller said:

That's because they suck at universe building. DC may have better characters (that's debatable) but they're not the MCU and they were never going to be no matter how hard they tried. DC characters and their worlds are too big for the kind of ensemble pieces MCU put together, especially Superman. Superman is in his own universe. If they were going to try to mimic the MCU and include Superman in the interconnected DCEU then Superman would have needed to have been the final phase in the whole thing, not the one that kicks everything off. He's too OP, even Zack Snyder's mopey emo self-loathing wandering Soup-y man version. Them starting with Man of Steel fucked everything else in the ass from the start, not to mention screwing up Superman's story to begin with. And the fact that the Batman they used wasn't Christopher Nolan's Batman was also a mistake, even if neither Nolan or Christian Bale wanted to take up that mantle again.

But whatever... AT&T has kinda screwed the pooch anyway with their heavy handed management. I can't believe they're just dumping everything onto HBO Max. Good luck getting people like Christopher Nolan to work with them again any time this century.

Edited by NashvilleNinja

26 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That's because they suck at universe building. DC may have better characters (that's debatable) but they're not the MCU and they were never going to be no matter how hard they tried. DC characters and their worlds are too big for the kind of ensemble pieces MCU put together, especially Superman. Superman is in his own universe. If they were going to try to mimic the MCU and include Superman in the interconnected DCEU then Superman would have needed to have been the final phase in the whole thing, not the one that kicks everything off. He's too OP, even Zack Snyder's mopey emo self-loathing wandering Soup-y man version. Them starting with Man of Steel fucked everything else in the ass from the start, not to mention screwing up Superman's story to begin with. And the fact that the Batman they used wasn't Christopher Nolan's Batman was also a mistake, even if neither Nolan or Christian Bale didn't want to take up that mantle again.

But whatever... AT&T has kinda screwed the pooch anyway with their heavy handed management. I can't believe they're just dumping everything onto HBO Max. Good luck getting people like Christopher Nolan to work with them again any time this century.

The animated DC content has been great at producing content, evolving, and providing Elseworlds material. Sadly, this sort of world building--as you've pointed out--was royal-y fucked when they empowered the manchild Zach Snyder. Honestly, he seems like a nice dude that a lot of people like but his content just ain't there.