Rob Portman to Retire

tgo

I don't expect this seat is viable to flip Dem in 2022, and this is a bad development because the seat will likely go to someone who is more of a Trumper and less reasonable. 

But Dems definitely should be the favorite in the 2022 seat to replace Toomey, as well as to pick off the Ron Johnson seat in WI. His popularity there is underwater. 

However, this gives him flexibility to vote to convict Trump. 

Edited by tgo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think it's fair to fault them given the threat posed to the country by the direction of the Republican party (proto facism) and that they're all complicit with the creating and rise of it by trying

I actually think all the Republicans retiring and have retired when their jobs get tough are cowards. They're just giving up. They should have stayed and fought.   Most of them choose to ret

Well for them personally it may be better because then they're fighting an uphill battle with a party full of dullards.   If they really wanted to do the right thing, they'd switch parties. 

4 minutes ago, tgo said:

I don't expect this seat is viable to flip Dem in 2022, and this is a bad development because the seat will likely go to someone who is more of a Trumper and less reasonable. 

But Dems definitely should be the favorite in the 2022 seat to replace Toomey, as well as to pick off the Ron Johnson seat in WI. His popularity there is underwater. 

However, this gives him flexibility to vote to convict Trump. 

Ohio is becoming more and more radical. Is Portman retiring like Flake retired? As in the numbers for reelection looked so bad it wasn't worth running.

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

Ohio is becoming more and more radical. Is Portman retiring like Flake retired? As in the numbers for reelection looked so bad it wasn't worth running.

I doubt it, unless he was expecting a far right primary. I think he's legitimately tired of the Republican political environment like Toomey. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Help us all if Jordan runs and wins. Has the tea party or its successor the freedom caucus infiltrated the Senate yet?

Oh fuck I didn't even think of Jordan running. You probably just spoke that into existence. 

Just now, Starkiller said:

An open seat is an open seat.

And Ohio is a lot more competitive than Oklahoma. The Dems just need a good candidate. Sherrod Brown can keep getting re-elected there, so it’s totally winnable. 

I think the only Dem that would have a shot is Tim Ryan. He should at least go for it. 

Just now, Starkiller said:

An open seat is an open seat.

And Ohio is a lot more competitive than Oklahoma. The Dems just need a good candidate. Sherrod Brown can keep getting re-elected there, so it’s totally winnable. 

Already seeing noise about Ryan vs Jordan. Can either win a stateside election? Ryan seems fairly moderate whereas we know Jordan is full on radical.

@tgo do you know off hand where Jordan's district is located geographically? Portman is from the Cincinnati area so wondering if his support would naturally swing to Jordan if his district is also in the Cincinnati area. I'm too lazy to look up the map right now.

10 minutes ago, oldschool said:

@tgo do you know off hand where Jordan's district is located geographically? Portman is from the Cincinnati area so wondering if his support would naturally swing to Jordan if his district is also in the Cincinnati area. I'm too lazy to look up the map right now.

4th congressional district.  Starts at Lake Eric and then north/central Ohio.  No major cities.

7 minutes ago, ctm said:

4th congressional district.  Starts at Lake Eric and then north/central Ohio.  No major cities.

One of the most gerrymandered districts you’ll find too. Unfortunately, his district reaches the Columbus/Cleveland outer suburbs, so in theory, Jordan could have some solid voting blocs in his favor. However, I don’t know much about Ohio politics. 

Edited by TitansFan777