Pees Chooses Falcons (UPDATE: PK Reports Titans Offer Wasn’t for DC)

tgo

I think folks are trying to read too much into what little we’re getting on this. Maybe there’s a better opportunity for Pees’ son on Art’s staff? One of the drivers for Pees coming here initially was that his son got a gig, too. It’s possible Vrabel was not onboard with bringing his son back.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's going to be on Vrabel to fix the defense next year. He'll be responsible completely if it's another failure 

100% agree with this Vrabel needs to move away from this passive bend don't break crap and get more aggressive defensively, unfortunately it seems by attempting to bring Pees back that doesn't seem wh

59 minutes ago, Thrill said:

I wonder if the potential head ache of dealing with Vrabel helped improve our defense. Pees had had his struggles in the past with being too conservative at critical moments. And then with Vrabel breathing down his neck he puts together some really impressive seasons. Bummer that he’d rather coach under Art.

Could location have anything to do with it? 

Vrabel had a chance to bring Pees back during the season and didn't.

The more likely explanation for him going to Atlanta is that he knows he isn't wanted here.

44 minutes ago, ctm said:

Vrabel had a chance to bring Pees back during the season and didn't.

The more likely explanation for him going to Atlanta is that he knows he isn't wanted here.

The even more likely scenario is that he doesn't want to work under a micro managing meathead who coordinated a defense for all of one year. We are seeing the Vrabel impact front and center now. 

7 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Per Glennon, they tried to get him back. 

He said they reached out to see if he was wanting to come out of retirement.  That's not the same thing as a firm contract offer with caveats like a multi-year commitment or re-hiring his son......

For all we know, Vrabel was just doing it out of respect, knowing that neither side was going to come to an agreement.

32 minutes ago, oldschool said:

The even more likely scenario is that he doesn't want to work under a micro managing meathead who coordinated a defense for all of one year. We are seeing the Vrabel impact front and center now. 

I’m totally with you about how annoying Vrabel can be in certain areas. I mean, it almost seems like he’s either lazy or just flippant towards putting together a staff. Every team that has openings are interviewing left & right except for MV. That said, Pees isn’t the best example. The guy waffled on retiring after year 1, then retired after year 2. Also had to take a medical leave in year 1. Then halfway thru the season he’s hankering to coach again. We’ve already lost 2 OC’s. It’s understandable to be hesitant about Pees because we’re just going to be in this spot again next year.

But my question is what’s happened in the last week? Has Vrabel done anything since interviewing Austin? This is a very talented team here entering a very challenging off season. I expected a little more urgency in the staff building deot. I’d even go as far as to say it’s borderline odd how little effort he puts into coordinator searches.

17 hours ago, NFL2K5 said:

We all know Pees left because Vrabels arrogant and egotistical. It never made sense to me that he would retire after we reached the AFC Title game. Him coming back so quickly means perhaps my theory is right. 

Maybe you missed him fall out in the press box or him talking about retirement after his first season with the team. 

Edited by japan

31 minutes ago, Face said:

I’m totally with you about how annoying Vrabel can be in certain areas. I mean, it almost seems like he’s either lazy or just flippant towards putting together a staff. Every team that has openings are interviewing left & right except for MV.

Vrabel isn't an idiot though. He's being purposely obtuse about the "titles" thing and the staff. Was Corey Curtis the media guy who was super irritated with Vrabel? There's truth to what he said: Vrabel dismissed criticism and acts like everyone is an idiot for asking legitimate questions. It's purposeful strategy to control the message and avoid criticism. 

Vrabel is doing exactly what he wants, and it's likely that Vrabel either doesn't want an outside hire and is delaying the promotion from within, or he has targeted someone specific and doesn't want to show his hand. Or, he's having internal arguments with JRob who may be pushing him to hire someone else. 

It's not a good look for Vrabel.

2 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

100% agree with this Vrabel needs to move away from this passive bend don't break crap and get more aggressive defensively, unfortunately it seems by attempting to bring Pees back that doesn't seem what the initial plan was.

This is the correct interpretation. Pees was good at running a bad scheme. The fact Vrabel reached out to him shows he’s sticking with it. 

This now gives him cover to promote Bowen to full time DC. 

• Jonboy changed the title to Pees Chooses Falcons (UPDATE: PK Reports Titans Offer Wasn’t for DC)