Biden White House: Year 4

tgo

5 hours ago, El Guapo said:

All sounds great but few people will use those trains. Thus, billions for little.

Infrastructure sounds great but every bill is filled with non infrastructure shit that it becomes meaningless. And the spending is directed to buddies or companies that the congressman has invested in. Look at Boston and LA and SF for infrastructure projects that nobody wanted, have unbelievable cost overruns, and should not have been done.

Tons of people ride AMTRAK. 

But the infrastructure upgrades largely would improve freight lines. And tons of goods travel by train across the country. There are large rail choke points around the country where infrastructure is totally obsolete and it slows down shipping goods. 

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I don't think that has anything to do with super rich. It is the top 1.8% of income earners though.    Also if you think the proposals to raise the taxes on people making that much are ex

A couple of years ago, I was  late for a conference call with colleagues in Germany and India. After joining the call and apologizing for being late. Someone from India said, "just be like Trump and s

Voter ID isn't the big issue. The big issue is state law proposals that allow state legislatures to overrule the vote in elections and that take power away from the state's secretaries of state as wel

Posted Images

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

All sounds great but few people will use those trains. Thus, billions for little.

Infrastructure sounds great but every bill is filled with non infrastructure shit that it becomes meaningless. And the spending is directed to buddies or companies that the congressman has invested in. Look at Boston and LA and SF for infrastructure projects that nobody wanted, have unbelievable cost overruns, and should not have been done.

everyne would rde trains you fucking loon.

33 minutes ago, MadMax said:

If I still worked in Nashville and there was a train, I'd ride the shit out of it.  Screw a bunch of traffic.

Denver isn't a much bigger city than Nashville (anymore) and they have a really great light rail that feeds the suburbs and beyond that I rode when I was there. It was awesome. 

11 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Not sure I’d want to take a train from NY to LA, but Nashville to Chicago or Atlanta? Absolutely. 

you know how many people would love to ride a train across the country for half the price of a flight. people would come from everywhere to see the usa on a train trip.

also if there was a highspeed train then crossing the country in 13 hours  with comy reclining seats plenty of people would do that too. its way more comfortable than a plane, lots of food options, different food cars to sit in, easy to walk around, can get off and smoke, wifi / cell signal prett ymuch the whole way, and only roughly twice as long as a flight and airport bullshit.

1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

America's population centers are too spread out to have rail cover everything compared to Europe or China. But within certain corridors it’s still highly efficient. 

its efficient regardless compared to automobiles. 

Andyou cant think in pure duration based travel only. price. experience. convenience. fear of flying. safety. ability to work. etc.. there's a ton or reasons.

duration of trip is more efficient east of the mississippi... most efficient northeast and along the great lakes.. but its plenty efficient elsewhere and much more efficient that travelling via vehicle.

The point is that infrastructure spending is great when it goes to the need areas. The US is not  primarily a nation of train travelers, except in certain cities where the cost of cars are prohibitive. The idea that new spending to create more rails and trains would result in a significant enough increase to support the spending is at worst, ludicrous, and at best unlikely.

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

The point is that infrastructure spending is great when it goes to the need areas. The US is not  primarily a nation of train travelers, except in certain cities where the cost of cars are prohibitive. The idea that new spending to create more rails and trains would result in a significant enough increase to support the spending is at worst, ludicrous, and at best unlikely.

I get what you are saying and likely agree with you when it comes to looking at rail travel from a mass commuter or recreational level but the logic behind it is so self fulfilling. No shit people won't use an antiquated system by the masses when it's just so fucking inconvenient in every possible facet.

There's a trolley that was built for some godforsaken reason here in Milwaukee that is nothing but an inconvenience. It's literally free to use but I don't use it (and don't know anyone who does) on my daily commute because at best it saves me a couple minutes on my walk across downtown to work. My friend lived on one end of it and worked on the other end of the line so he was as optimal of a demographic as you will ever see but because of the delays, inconsistency and inconvenience he just never used it more than half a dozen times.

When the trolley gets more built up and goes to areas that it makes sense to use the system then I will change my tune on it being a completely uselesss waste of money but that opinion is based entirely on the state it's currently in. Of course train travel is going to be used minimally when everything about it's current state of the infrastructure is how it currently is.

Edited by wiscotitansfan

1 hour ago, wiscotitansfan said:

I get what you are saying and likely agree with you when it comes to looking at rail travel from a mass commuter or recreational level but the logic behind it is so self fulfilling. No shit people won't use an antiquated system by the masses when it's just so fucking inconvenient in every possible facet.

There's a trolley that was built for some godforsaken reason here in Milwaukee that is nothing but an inconvenience. It's literally free to use but I don't use it (and don't know anyone who does) on my daily commute because at best it saves me a couple minutes on my walk across downtown to work. My friend lived on one end of it and worked on the other end of the line so he was as optimal of a demographic as you will ever see but because of the delays, inconsistency and inconvenience he just never used it more than half a dozen times.

When the trolley gets more built up and goes to areas that it makes sense to use the system then I will change my tune on it being a completely uselesss waste of money but that opinion is based entirely on the state it's currently in. Of course train travel is going to be used minimally when everything about it's current state of the infrastructure is how it currently is.

I do not disagree. Agree that the more efficient, fast, safe, convenient, and cost effective, the more likely it is to be used.

America uses rail a TON for freight. Just upgrading the infrastructure there make huge financial sense, even if you don’t figure in passenger rail. Rail is way more efficient for delivering freight to large metropolitan areas than planes are as long as railways are accessible. 

But there are also plenty of passenger rail routes that can be upgraded/added, too. Lots of people who be happy to get on trains where that currently is simply not an option. 

• tgo changed the title to Biden White House: Year 4