Jump to content

Biden White House: Year 2


tgo
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

 

I think your reflexive hatred of Bernie is clouding your view here.

 

The potential way to square the circle of what we're hearing from Democrats on all sides is that they will not repeal the filibuster but are basically going to reform the budget reconciliation rules to get more stuff through.

 

All the Senate rules are made up by the Senate and actually changeable with just a majority vote. It's a way to get a lot of what you'd get with no filibuster without the backlash because no one will know what it means.

 

Of course, it's possible there's no coordination here and they will just not pass much of consequence lol.

 

IDK how to explain the combo of Bernie saying we'll use reconciliation, mainstream Democrats putting out policies that just cannot pass with 60 votes (child tax credits, many other examples) and conservative Democrats saying filibuster removal is a non-starter.

 

It's not that I hate Bernie per-se because you need a solid progressive flank. I don't like how he's bluntly all-or-nothing and doesn't leave wiggle room for compromise. The Senate is structured for compromise, and the rules you set to burn any constraints will eventually come back to bite you in the ass. If you don't believe me, ask Harry Reid how we ended up with a 6-3 GOP majority SCOTUS...

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Voter ID isn't the big issue. The big issue is state law proposals that allow state legislatures to overrule the vote in elections and that take power away from the state's secretaries of state as wel

No I don't think that has anything to do with super rich. It is the top 1.8% of income earners though.    Also if you think the proposals to raise the taxes on people making that much are ex

A couple of years ago, I was  late for a conference call with colleagues in Germany and India. After joining the call and apologizing for being late. Someone from India said, "just be like Trump and s

Posted Images

1 hour ago, luvyablue256 said:

It's not that I hate Bernie per-se because you need a solid progressive flank. I don't like how he's bluntly all-or-nothing and doesn't leave wiggle room for compromise. The Senate is structured for compromise, and the rules you set to burn any constraints will eventually come back to bite you in the ass. If you don't believe me, ask Harry Reid how we ended up with a 6-3 GOP majority SCOTUS...

Bernie is obviously not all or nothing. He has voted for plenty of bills under Democratic majorities that don’t fit his ideology.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Starkiller said:

Bernie is obviously not all or nothing. He has voted for plenty of bills under Democratic majorities that don’t fit his ideology.

 

I'm not sure that he's ever been the reason a Democratic priority did not pass. He plays ball.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Titans279 The key is a message of unity and bipartisanship, and doing things that are popular and passing legislation that is overwhelmingly popular. And not demonizing the other side. 

 

If Republicans are not willing to do anything than obstruct in Congress, then work around them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

 

I'm not sure this is true. Why do you think so?

 

This tweet shows why I think the incentives for Republicans are actually aligned against working together with a President of the opposite party.

 

 

 

Preventing the radical left from enacting a combo of socialism and communism turns out to be good for business when your voter base is a bunch of uneducated rednecks!

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

@Titans279 The key is a message of unity and bipartisanship, and doing things that are popular and passing legislation that is overwhelmingly popular. And not demonizing the other side. 

 

If Republicans are not willing to do anything than obstruct in Congress, then work around them. 

 

The filibuster has to be reworked or eliminated, there is no other way. It doesn't appear the democrats realize this which is concerning. It shows how out of touch some are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, oldschool said:

 

The filibuster has to be reworked or eliminated, there is no other way. It doesn't appear the democrats realize this which is concerning. It shows how out of touch some are.

 

Yeah, it should be eliminated. But it won't be anytime soon. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, tgo said:

 

Yeah, it should be eliminated. But it won't be anytime soon. 

 

The only legit argument for keeping it is to combat House gerrymandering. Or simply wait for McConnell to die since he is basically the Senate. I doubt the next GOP leaders will be able to rule with an iron fist like McConnell has over the 12 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

 

I'm not sure this is true. Why do you think so?

 

This tweet shows why I think the incentives for Republicans are actually aligned against working together with a President of the opposite party.

 

 

Dems don't understand it's war. They need to squash Repubs and Trumpists out and take no concessions.

fixing gerrymandering, eliminating the filibuster both need to happen going into 2022 (along with election reforms)... stack the courts after.

 

 

 

16 minutes ago, oldschool said:

 

The only legit argument for keeping it is to combat House gerrymandering. Or simply wait for McConnell to die since he is basically the Senate. I doubt the next GOP leaders will be able to rule with an iron fist like McConnell has over the 12 years.

 

Mconnell has laid the groundwork for how to deal with the both having the majority and being in the minority. A replacement could come in and build on that and take it steps further.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • tgo changed the title to Biden White House: Year 2

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...