Biden White House: Year 4

tgo

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I don't think that has anything to do with super rich. It is the top 1.8% of income earners though.    Also if you think the proposals to raise the taxes on people making that much are ex

A couple of years ago, I was  late for a conference call with colleagues in Germany and India. After joining the call and apologizing for being late. Someone from India said, "just be like Trump and s

Voter ID isn't the big issue. The big issue is state law proposals that allow state legislatures to overrule the vote in elections and that take power away from the state's secretaries of state as wel

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, oldschool said:

This is insane.... if she really keeps this stance and holds out while the Republicans obstruct Biden's agenda, she should be primaried.

Well Biden is also opposing elimination of the filibuster, so what do we do about that haha?

It's more than just Sinema and Manchin btw. Feinstein and reportedly some others oppose the move. 

3 minutes ago, tgo said:

Well Biden is also opposing elimination of the filibuster, so what do we do about that haha?

It's more than just Sinema and Manchin btw. Feinstein and reportedly some others oppose the move. 

no one else has drawn a line in the sand while McConnell attempts to keep the filibuster off the table as part of the power sharing agreement. It's going to be beyond stupid if the Dems squander their majority on allegiance to the filibuster. They will deserve to lose in 2022 and 2024 if they don't wake up. When Moderates like Portman, only 65 btw, retire due to gridlock it tells you the Senate is not going to return to a bipartisan chamber anytime soon. 

At this point, Dems should promise not to eliminate the filibuster to get the power sharing agreement since it seems pretty clear they don’t have the votes to eliminate it.

Then the Dems should reform the filibuster. Make it a chore to use the filibuster. Make a senator stand out there and hold the floor like in the old days or limit how many times it can be used.

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

At this point, Dems should promise not to eliminate the filibuster to get the power sharing agreement since it seems pretty clear they don’t have the votes to eliminate it.

Then the Dems should reform the filibuster. Make it a chore to use the filibuster. Make a senator stand out there and hold the floor like in the old days or limit how many times it can be used.

Yes

2 hours ago, luvyablue256 said:

The revolutionary Senator from Vermont is going to meatheat the budget committee into reconciliation just as a retaliation against the R's without any concern of the consequences. 

I think your reflexive hatred of Bernie is clouding your view here.

The potential way to square the circle of what we're hearing from Democrats on all sides is that they will not repeal the filibuster but are basically going to reform the budget reconciliation rules to get more stuff through.

All the Senate rules are made up by the Senate and actually changeable with just a majority vote. It's a way to get a lot of what you'd get with no filibuster without the backlash because no one will know what it means.

Of course, it's possible there's no coordination here and they will just not pass much of consequence lol.

IDK how to explain the combo of Bernie saying we'll use reconciliation, mainstream Democrats putting out policies that just cannot pass with 60 votes (child tax credits, many other examples) and conservative Democrats saying filibuster removal is a non-starter.

17 hours ago, Titans279 said:

Canada is actually really bad on the environment in general. Of course he's mad about not being able to export Canadian oil.

It will still be exported, but more by rail than pipe than if Keystone had gone ahead.

I also don't like standing companies with billions of unusable assests in general. I think this is just a required gimmie to the green wing of the party, but I think it is poor policy...

Edited by ChemEngr79

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

This is insane.... if she really keeps this stance and holds out while the Republicans obstruct Biden's agenda, she should be primaried.

Has anyone ever stopped to think WHY some Dems don't want the filibuster eliminated? 

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

I think your reflexive hatred of Bernie is clouding your view here.

The potential way to square the circle of what we're hearing from Democrats on all sides is that they will not repeal the filibuster but are basically going to reform the budget reconciliation rules to get more stuff through.

All the Senate rules are made up by the Senate and actually changeable with just a majority vote. It's a way to get a lot of what you'd get with no filibuster without the backlash because no one will know what it means.

Of course, it's possible there's no coordination here and they will just not pass much of consequence lol.

IDK how to explain the combo of Bernie saying we'll use reconciliation, mainstream Democrats putting out policies that just cannot pass with 60 votes (child tax credits, many other examples) and conservative Democrats saying filibuster removal is a non-starter.

It's not that I hate Bernie per-se because you need a solid progressive flank. I don't like how he's bluntly all-or-nothing and doesn't leave wiggle room for compromise. The Senate is structured for compromise, and the rules you set to burn any constraints will eventually come back to bite you in the ass. If you don't believe me, ask Harry Reid how we ended up with a 6-3 GOP majority SCOTUS...

• tgo changed the title to Biden White House: Year 4