Biden White House: Year 4

tgo

• Replies 8.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

No I don't think that has anything to do with super rich. It is the top 1.8% of income earners though.    Also if you think the proposals to raise the taxes on people making that much are ex

A couple of years ago, I was  late for a conference call with colleagues in Germany and India. After joining the call and apologizing for being late. Someone from India said, "just be like Trump and s

Voter ID isn't the big issue. The big issue is state law proposals that allow state legislatures to overrule the vote in elections and that take power away from the state's secretaries of state as wel

Posted Images

The idea Republicans were going to work with Joe Biden or any other Democrat was a total pipe dream. 

Ending the filibuster, adding seats to the Supreme Court and adding states is the only way to go. If anyone doesn't want these things done they don't want anything done 

23 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

The idea Republicans were going to work with Joe Biden or any other Democrat was a total pipe dream. 

Ending the filibuster, adding seats to the Supreme Court and adding states is the only way to go. If anyone doesn't want these things done they don't want anything done 

I understand the desire to return to the days of bipartisanship. I want that, too.

But for people not paying attention, the Republicans do not want that. They haven’t given up on Trumpism, but even the ones who have are simply going back playing by the obstructionism playbook of the Obama era. They don’t care about a pandemic or about people who have been hurt by it. They don’t want to do anything to help average Americans.

Democrats need to crush them. If anything is going to change, Democrats need to play by the same hardball tactics that the GOP has used. Doing anything else merely plays into the hands of the GOP playbook and they will continue it forever.

12 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

I understand the desire to return to the days of bipartisanship. I want that, too.

But for people not paying attention, the Republicans do not want that. They haven’t given up on Trumpism, but even the ones who have are simply going back playing by the obstructionism playbook of the Obama era. They don’t care about a pandemic or about people who have been hurt by it. They don’t want to do anything to help average Americans.

Democrats need to crush them. If anything is going to change, Democrats need to play by the same hardball tactics that the GOP has used. Doing anything else merely plays into the hands of the GOP playbook and they will continue it forever.

I understand the desire to try and agree with the strategy but it was never going to work. Now the dems have a chance to crush the GOP by passing meaningful legislation that will further diminish the GOP. They simply need to have to balls to do it.

Edited by oldschool

6 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I understand the desire to try and agree with the strategy but it was never going to work. Now the dems have a chance to crush the GOP by passing meaningful legislation that will further diminish the GOP. They simply need to have to balls to do it.

First they need the votes, then they need the balls. The fact that Schumer hasn’t given away the option to kill the filibuster gives me some hope that they might have the votes at least...

8 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

First they need the votes, then they need the balls. The fact that Schumer hasn’t given away the option to kill the filibuster gives me some hope that they might have the votes at least...

Trying to reach across the aisle and being rejected is exactly what's needed to get the likes of Manchin and Tester to budge. It had to be part of the strategy. Otherwise they are going to be responsible for Biden's agenda not getting through the senate. Not a good look for a Democrat.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

And the idea that Joe Biden or any other Democrats were going to work with Republicans wasn't?

8 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

And the idea that Joe Biden or any other Democrats were going to work with Republicans wasn't?

He inherited a pandemic the likes of which we haven’t seen in over 100 years in a stalled government with a 50-50 split Senate and an ex-president facing impeachment ex post facto. He didn’t really have time to dither and wait. 

4 minutes ago, nine said:

Here’s a crazy thought:

Perhaps  if Joe’s predecessor had done his actual job instead of playing golf, ignoring a pandemic and abandoning his duties over the final 6 months of his presidency, then maybe Biden wouldn’t have had so much catch-up work waiting for him on day one.   

Watching Republicans immediately start bitching is hilarious. 

14 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

Dude.

Literally almost all those executive orders are undoing Trump executive orders. That’s not really “governing by executive order,” it’s just getting back to zero on EOs. Only a few of them are not strictly reversing Trump EO’s. 

Trump literally was governing through EO’s even to the point of using them to change the tax code and divert congressionally mandated appropriations. 

If Biden wanted to he could follow Schumer’s advice and use an EO to forgive student loan debt, which he’s resisting.

Edited by tgo

https://indiancountrytoday.com/news/joe-biden-halts-drilling-in-arctic-refuge-iEh6GoqXxkO1sgJjgzIJqA

President Joe Biden put a hold on oil and gas drilling in the Arctic just hours after being inaugurated Wednesday. 

He signed an executive order placing a temporary moratorium on all federal activities related to oil and gas leases in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Just the day before, nine leases had been signed by the Trump administration, well ahead of the 2017 Tax Cuts and Jobs Act’s 2024 deadline requiring two lease sales in the refuge. 

Biden’s executive order raises questions about the permitting process for the leases, saying, “in light of the alleged legal deficiencies underlying the program, including the inadequacy of the environmental review required by the National Environmental Policy Act … ”

• tgo changed the title to Biden White House: Year 4